Favourite black and white war film ? (2 Viewers)

Apart from the obvious greats (Dambusters, Ice Cold in Alex etc.) some of my personal favourites include The Hill (1965), The One That Got Away (1957) and The Assassination (1964) - a Czech film about the mission to kill Heydrich, well worth watching if you haven't seen it.

Been wracking my memory and have come up with a few more that I don't think have been mentioned.
Dr. Strangelove
The Steel Helmet
Fixed Bayonets
The Story of GI Joe
Back to Bataan
So Proudly We Hail
All the Young Men
In Harm's Way
Road to Glory
Westfront 1918
Lifeboat
And there are several submarine movies that could go on the list. -- Al

Hands down for me...The Dam Busters....watch it every few months, never get tired of it, cheers, Robin.

i just watched "The Seven Samurai"--- subtitles and all- old, japanese and brilliant!

Hands down for me...The Dam Busters....watch it every few months, never get tired of it, cheers, Robin.

The theme song - which was not written for the movie - is just stunning. A beautiful movie. I have said it on the forum already - perhaps even in this thread - the scene where Michael Redgrave realises the extent of the losses is still moving after all these years.

The theme song - which was not written for the movie - is just stunning. A beautiful movie. I have said it on the forum already - perhaps even in this thread - the scene where Michael Redgrave realises the extent of the losses is still moving after all these years.

True very confronting the loss of 8 crews 56 men. My favourite part is where Barnes Wallis is asked on what possible grounds could he be given the use of a Wellington, to which he relies..would it help if you told them I designed it....next shot he is in the plane. Too good, Robin.

Not necessarily "great" but very enjoyable and I don't think they've been mentioned so far in this thread:

49th Parallel
Die Brücke (1959)
Is Paris Burning?
Sink the Bismarck
The Red Badge of Courage
Operation Amsterdam

and lastly

Appointment with Venus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back