Favourite black and white war film ? (2 Viewers)

For Home Front War movies you just can't beat ' Went the Day Well' (1942 starring Leslie Banks), story of plucky Brits unaware of the Nazi's in their midst until they are rounded up in their village Church where they plot their escape. For such an early film the scene of the old lady doing in the Nazi with an axe was pretty shocking for its day.

Rob

Very good film Rob, the original to THE EAGLE HAS LANDED {bravo}}

Cheers

Martyn:)

Very good film Rob, the original to THE EAGLE HAS LANDED {bravo}}

Cheers

Well said that man! Great film, just love WW2 Home Front movies. 'Mrs Miniver' is another classic from this area of the War and another goodie.

Cheers mate

Rob

Hi Guys,

Mine would be the 1930's version of the movie The Four Feathers. A lot of others mentioned were great as well.

Dave

Al "Lancer", you really know your movies, not to mention TV shows and books! There were many great B&W war movies. I just can't remember the titles and they rarely have them on TV. "None but the Brave" is a color movie, but for those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend seeing it. Stars Frank Sinatra.
Funny that you mention 'None but the Brave'. As well as Sinatra, it has 'Cheyenne' star Clint Walker in it and the answer to one of my favorite trivia questions as well. That would be "Name the seven men who played in the classic western 'The Magnificent Seven'." Everyone always is able to name 6 of them; Brenner, McQueen, Bronson, Coburn, Vaughn, and Bucholz, but most people get stuck on #7, who, as I mentioned above, was in 'None but the Brave', and that is Brad Dexter. He played the marine with the attitude problem in NbtB. Trivia for the day, complete. -- Al

From Here To Eternity.
Five great stars - Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Frank Sinatra, Ernest Borgnine and Deborah Kerr.
Best beach scene.

The Longest Day.
Numerous Great Stars.
Second best beach scene.

Rgds Victor

From Here To Eternity.
Five great stars - Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Frank Sinatra, Ernest Borgnine and Deborah Kerr.
Best beach scene.

The Longest Day.
Numerous Great Stars.
Second best beach scene.

Rgds Victor
Yep ! agree,,,but talking about beach scene's ..whata bout ...Jon Hall and all the beach scene's in his B grade Pacific island movie's...not forgetting the Ho La girls ofcourse....TomB

Here's another

The Fighting 69th (1940) starring James Cagney, Pat O'Brien, and George Brent

Cheers

SAHARA with Humphrey Bogart , General Lee Tank and a lot of sand.. Longest Day, Is Paris Burning? and Pork Chop Hill..........Michael

Great film that one.

I would say Longest Day, but (I may be wrong) I think that was in the colour era but made in B&w.

I'd go for 'Dunkirk' , but I could sit and name so many more Neil...its not fair!^&grin

Rob

The attack on Pegasus bridge was very well done and played by Richard Todd who was there on DDay , don't know about you Rob but are try and watch all the war film that come out new or old :redface2: favourite spy film is The spy who came in from the cold

The attack on Pegasus bridge was very well done and played by Richard Todd who was there on DDay , don't know about you Rob but are try and watch all the war film that come out new or old :redface2: favourite spy film is The spy who came in from the cold

Neil, yes never get bored of watching them either. Over the years I've built up quite a dvd collection of them and have just ordered ' A Sailor of the King'. Not seen the Spy who came in, any well know actors in that one Neil?

Thought Richard Todd was very good in several War films, he only passed away a few years back.

Rob

Neil, yes never get bored of watching them either. Over the years I've built up quite a dvd collection of them and have just ordered ' A Sailor of the King'. Not seen the Spy who came in, any well know actors in that one Neil?

Thought Richard Todd was very good in several War films, he only passed away a few years back.

Rob

Richard Burton the main man in the film "The man who came in from the cold Rob . Have you seen the Jack Hawkin film Two-Headed_Spy ?

Richard Burton the main man in the film "The man who came in from the cold Rob . Have you seen the Jack Hawkin film Two-Headed_Spy ?

No not seen that either mate, good actor Jack Hawkin, was in Angels one five which is one of the best Battle of Britain movies made, of course he was also good in Zulu^&cool

Rob

No not seen that either mate, good actor Jack Hawkin, was in Angels one five which is one of the best Battle of Britain movies made, of course he was also good in Zulu^&cool

Rob
Jack Hawkin is a great actor mate , read is book as well

Some great films mentioned here, but my favorites which I saw as a boy in the 1950s at the United Artists Theater's Saturday Matinee (for ten cents)in Pendleton, Oregon are Battleground and the Sands of Iwo Jima. I have always also liked The Longest Day and Pork Chop Hill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back