Favourite black and white war film ? (2 Viewers)

The director of AQotWF, Lewis Milestone, also did a few other classics such as 'The North Star' and 'Pork Chop Hill', (another one of my Top 5), 'A Walk in the Sun', and 'The Purple Heart' -- Al

There was a B&W film, I believe it was produced in England, 1950's, about a small patrol of either English or Australian soldiers, fighting the Japanese. It starred, if my memory serves me correctly quite a few major British stars.. I believe the title was something like "The Long, The Short and The Tall".. Anyone remember it... A great film by the way

FROM HELL TO ETERNITY --The story of Guy Gaboldon -- "The Pied Piper of Saipan".
The movie starred Jeffrey Hunter and David Janssen.

There was a B&W film, I believe it was produced in England, 1950's, about a small patrol of either English or Australian soldiers, fighting the Japanese. It starred, if my memory serves me correctly quite a few major British stars.. I believe the title was something like "The Long, The Short and The Tall".. Anyone remember it... A great film by the way
Found it.... Stars Laurence Harvey, Richard Todd, Richard Harris, David McCaluum and Ronald Fraser amongst others. Re-released as "The Jungle Fighters"..

Battleground, one of the best all time WW2 movies. Also like " Attack" and "Hell Is For Heroes" with Steve McQueen.

Couple of more dear to my heart are 'Twelve O'Clock High' and 'Command Decision'. -- Al
Both good movie's but more drama than action....but...having said that..still very good movies...TomB

Dawn Patrol anyone?
Good movie. Which version do you prefer? The two are all but identical with the exception of the cast. I'm partial to the Flynn and Niven version. -- Al

One of my favourite is The way to the Star starring John Mill as a RAF bomber pilot ,then later on the base get taken over by US. 8th Air Force , think the name was renamed for the US market?

Good movie. Which version do you prefer? The two are all but identical with the exception of the cast. I'm partial to the Flynn and Niven version. -- Al

Very much a Niven fan so I must concur!

Was "Hell is for Heroes" the one with a young Bob Newhart sending stupid messages through a recovered German field telephone? If so, I like that one. There was also one in the Korean War, where they force a Sgt with an officer suffering from combat fatigue who couldn't talk, to join them because they needed their jeep. I can't remember the title of that one. Of course, I like the movie "Go for Broke" with Van Johnson.

Was "Hell is for Heroes" the one with a young Bob Newhart sending stupid messages through a recovered German field telephone? If so, I like that one. There was also one in the Korean War, where they force a Sgt with an officer suffering from combat fatigue who couldn't talk, to join them because they needed their jeep. I can't remember the title of that one. Of course, I like the movie "Go for Broke" with Van Johnson.
That is correct on Hell is for Heroes. Also had Fess Parker, Bobby Darin, Nick Adams, James Coburn, and Harry Guardino, along with the immortal Steve McQueen. What a great cast! The other show you are thinking of is called Men in War. Had a young Vic Morrow along with Aldo Ray and Robert Ryan. Good show also. -- Al

Al "Lancer", you really know your movies, not to mention TV shows and books! There were many great B&W war movies. I just can't remember the titles and they rarely have them on TV. "None but the Brave" is a color movie, but for those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend seeing it. Stars Frank Sinatra.

Air Force (1943)

On December 6, 1941, the crew of a B-17 leaves San Francisco on a routine unarmed flight to Hawaii.

Cheers

Martyn:)
One of the best BW war movies of it's time,with many B grade stars as supporting actors....sorry I cannot name them..the scene with John Garfield .30 Browning at the hip,shooting down the Zero sure impressed me as a kid.....ofcourse the early model B17 was without tail gun and good old Johnny , wedged in at the rear of the tailwheel, sure surprised a few jap Zero's.....loved that movie...TomB

One i remember was Yesterday's Enemy with British or Australians fighting the Japanese.I think it was in b&w:confused:
Mark

For Home Front War movies you just can't beat ' Went the Day Well' (1942 starring Leslie Banks), story of plucky Brits unaware of the Nazi's in their midst until they are rounded up in their village Church where they plot their escape. For such an early film the scene of the old lady doing in the Nazi with an axe was pretty shocking for its day.

Rob

For Home Front War movies you just can't beat ' Went the Day Well' (1942 starring Leslie Banks), story of plucky Brits unaware of the Nazi's in their midst until they are rounded up in their village Church where they plot their escape. For such an early film the scene of the old lady doing in the Nazi with an axe was pretty shocking for its day.

Rob

I have this film to Rob. I also like SEA OF SANDS. Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back