Football (Soccer) World Cup (3 Viewers)

jazzeum said:
It appear that your passion again is getting in the way of your objectivity. In the first half, Ronaldo was lightly pushed and he goes down like a house of cards. The referee correctly ignored him. Henry was fouled, tripped by Carvalho I believe. It was a penalty but I would have waved it off.

Have you really seen the replay? Ronaldo is trying to head the ball. That's pretty objective. Postiga is the one that did dive. That's pretty objective.

jazzeum said:
This is a silly post. What does so called hooliganism have to do with what happened at the Cup? It's a shame you have to take this tack.

It really is a shame that I have to take this tack: a silly post as a response to a very, very silly campaign. And English hooliganism did take place at the world cup, either in German soil either in some of the English «press».
Lots of people take lots of dives, Zidane and Makelele for instance make the most out of contact with other players: if someone presses them for the ball and they get too entangled, they just fall to the ground, the ref has no replays. They don't take this kind of flak. I wonder why... Ask Eriksson and Bobby Robson what they think about this nonsense.
Now on Ronaldo, he can take a lot and he has taken a lot throughout his life but if I were him, with great clubs wanting him, why should I stay at Man United and take primitive abuse, primitive wheather and primitive football instead of changing to lively and sunny Madrid, for instance?

Well Guys almost over. The US were pretty good - I thought the ref for US against Italy must have a house in Scicily.....:( Claudio Reyna plays for my team so I was supporting the US in that game - and Australia.

England were everything we have come to expect. The heat is always a problem. Needed Monty as a manager .... tee heee.:rolleyes:

Very interesting final in prospect. France came good. Would like France to win (Thiery etc ) but fancy the Italians, unless Zidane carries on as he has. Since the dreadful early rounds the Italians are defensively very strong and dangerous up front.

Any predictions?

THE SILLY SEASON-part I

Oz Digger, you´re right, it's just football, but unfortunately the world cup is about more than that.
Facts:
a) Euro 2004: in Portugal English hooligans create havoc, smashing bars, atttacking by-standers and getting in trouble with the police;
b) Euro 2004: after England's loss to Portugal, English people attack and abuse Portuguese immigrants in the UK, prompting police intervention;
c) World Cup 2006: apart from other incidents, a Portuguese family is stoned by English fans out of a fan park, when trying to watch the game against England;
d) England-Portugal: Rooney steps on Ricardo, Ronaldo protests the situation, Rooney is sent off, part of the English press chooses to attack Ronaldo and forget about Rooney's misconduct;
e) Because of the way that incident is ridiculously played up in the English press, large numbers of English tourists cancel their reservations in Portugal;
f) part of the English press portrays the Portuguese national team as a bunch of mobsters.

Last edited:
THE SILLY SEASON part 2

Bottom line:
As many others have felt before all over the world, my patience for this outrageous stuff has just ran out.WHO ARE THE ENGLISH TO LECTURE US ON FAIR PLAY? In my country we say «if you have a glass roof don't throw stones on the other's roofs».
Right now I feel like being «silly» for a very, very long time... So let's play the stereotypes, watch the world through the narrow tabloids' eyes, it's easier.
Black and white, good and evil, the jews are this, the blacks are that, the italians are that, the portuguese are this, the english are that, come and join the party, there´s a bottle for everyone to fit in!!!!

Germany-Portugal

Congratulations Germany! This was a lively match and even though my team lost, I think they played well, and it was fun to at last watch an open match with goal scoring chances for both teams. Beautiful goals by the way. Fourth place ( in 32 teams ) is in our bags. Boys, thank you for lots of fun and see you around.

VIRIATO, as Jazzeum has already said, we're not anti Portugal, but most people don't like Ronaldo.

Last edited:
Viriato,

You need to calm down. This is supposed to be fun, people arguing back and forth without animosity. It's probably fortunate that the World Cup is ending tomorrow, for all the nationalistic passions it's arousing.

Getting back to the match, all I have to say is one word: Schweinstieger. Two unbelievable shots.

However, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Figo's cross that set up Gomes. A thing of beauty.

My «rage» is not directed at members of the forum or any particular individual but at some of the British press that irresponsibly set this nonsense up and blowed it up totally out of proportion.
Oh, by the way, Ronaldo said yesterday that he was thinking of playing in Spain, probably Real Madrid, so it looks like the English won't have to put up with him anymore.

Although Ronaldo said that, Ferguson said he expects him at training camp. I also don't know if that's the best place for him. That's a team in transition, they have tons of offense but never enough defense so will he get a chance to play. He's only 21 so maybe he should stay put at Manchester United for awhile.

Not a good day. What could have Zidane been thinking? It may have cost them the title although both sides could be argued and probably will be. It's certainly not a good way to end your career and go down in history.

Congratulations to Max and all of Italy.

ITALIA! Congratulations Zupp.
A boring final, I am afraid though. The only lively moment was Zidane headbutting Materazzi-sorry Zizou but I couldn't help laughing. Never mind, you're a great player. Domenech, take that red card, you're no saints either.

Teams balance:
AUSTRALIA-a revelation, great results and they gave Brazil and Italy great games.
PORTUGAL-good result, great skill, excellent defense and midfield, but mediocre attacking punch, especially against England and France.
BRAZIL-a disappointment, the best players in the world put in a straight jacket by coach Parreira, what a waste.
GERMANY-the best attacking football of the cup, and what's frightening, a young team that can only get better.
FRANCE-oldies but goodies, how to play great with what you've got.
ITALY-the Champions, classy players all round, how to defend first and then win games in counter attack.
ENGLAND-overrated, overpaid, insufficient skill ( dribbling, stringing together 10 or more passes, penalty taking ), good fighting spirit though, especially when against the wall.
ARGENTINA-promissed a lot but downplayed considerably in the last stages.

My favorite cup eleven, from what I remember:
BUFFON ( ITALY )
ZAMBROTTA ( ITALY ) CANAVARRO ( ITALY ) R. CARVALHO ( PORTUGAL ) P. LAHM ( GERMANY )
FIGO ( PORTUGAL ) MANICHE ( PORTUGAL ) PILRO ( ITALY ) ZIDANE ( FRANCE )
KLOSE ( GERMANY ) PODOLSKI ( GERMANY )

My 11 subs:

RICARDO ( PORTUGAL )
MIGUEL ( PORTUGAL ) THURAM ( FRANCE ) TERRY ( ENGLAND ) GROSSO ( ITALY )
VAN PIERSE ( HOLLAND ) ZÉ ROBERTO ( BRAZIL ) KAKÁ ( BRAZIL ) CRISTIANO RONALDO ( PORTUGAL )
HENRY ( FRANCE ) HERNAN CRESPO ( ARGENTINA )

jazzeum said:
Although Ronaldo said that, Ferguson said he expects him at training camp. I also don't know if that's the best place for him. That's a team in transition, they have tons of offense but never enough defense so will he get a chance to play. He's only 21 so maybe he should stay put at Manchester United for awhile.

Good point, he still has a lot to learn and improve.

thanks guys,we are all happy for this cup,tonight italy have played to much in defense..but is the force of the team..... before the scandal in italy on football this cup is a confirmation that all soccer is not dirty in our country....
great group and a little bit of lucky.......

im very afraid for Zidane, great champion,bad end of career....

ciao

max

Max,

Luck is important. I thought France played better tonight. But I have seen many matches in many sports where the better team doesn't always win.

However, no one in the years to come will remember that. They will just remember that Italy are World Champs for the fourth time. Winning a World Cup is not an easy thing so everybody needs a little luck sometimes.

I agree that luck plays an important part in most games. Fate can also play a major role and I believe that Australia could have defeated Italy if we had a decent striker such as Harry Kewel on the field.

Despite the dives by various players and the old school mentaility of FIFA I feel this recent World Cup was a watershed. It demonstrated that Football is now a truly global game, and almost any country can win the World Cup if they put in the effort - and the money.

zup66 said:
thanks guys,we are all happy for this cup,tonight italy have played to much in defense..but is the force of the team..... before the scandal in italy on football this cup is a confirmation that all soccer is not dirty in our country....
great group and a little bit of lucky.......

im very afraid for Zidane, great champion,bad end of career....

ciao

max

CONGRADULATIONS MAX!!

Njja

My Pleasure Mr World Champion!!!!

Pretty Classy!

Njja

Users who are viewing this thread

Back