Football (Soccer) World Cup (2 Viewers)

OzDigger

Colonel
As Australia recently scored a well deserved win over Japan 3 to 1, I thought it was time we started a dedicated thread :)

In my prediction league at work I had Japan to win. I was gutted when the Aussies equalised.

England did OK to win their match. It wasn't pretty but at least they got the job done against good opponents. I expect better things against Trinidad on thursday.

From what I've seen so far, the only teams that have impressed me are Germany and Argentina.

That England match was terrible. Not World Cup caliber. If they expect to do something, you need a better showing that. I know everybody has first game jitters but after that, well, enough said. Portugal fits into that mold. Mexico only got lucky because Iran made a colossal mistake.

I didn't see the Australia game so I can't comment on it.

Great beginning for the US. They were supposed to be working on controlling Koller:(

Some of the results (such as the bad performances of Poland and Sweden) have upset many of the predicted Group Stage winners/runners-up and thus the Quarter Finalists too.

Never fear, here's the BBC's Predictor: it updates with the actual results as they come in, and you can still enter your predictions to see who meets who in the later stages.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/shared/spl/hi/predictor/html/football/world_cup_06/default.stm

Now it's probably less fun than listening to the pub expert, who can (within seconds of each result) tell you what happens if it finishes 3-2 instead of 2-1 , but it is still useful when you run out of back of beermats for the calculations. Or when you're stuck in work :eek:

It's beginning to look like 2002 was either an aberration for the US squad or the Czechs are really good. Probably a little of both. It would have been helpful if they could have pulled one back instead of giving up another. The best possible result would be for Ghana Italy to have a nil-nil draw.

Gents,

Nothing to outrageous yet in terms of shock results. I believed the Swedes were very unlucky not to win against the Trins & Tobago, who themselves were very lucky to get a point. England were typical England, a swedish manager who can't manage and any temperature about 25 degrees C and we make a rush for the sunbed. Hopefully things will change in the next match, its supposed to be a lot cooler for that game.

Best team so far, not convinced by any team yet, heres the low-down,,,,,

Italy - typically efficient but were playing a woeful Ghanese team, Essien excepted. I believed Totti probably played his best game for a while and in Toni I believe they have unearthed a diamond. Their defence was untroubled throughout but the Czech Rep. will give them a good workout even with Koller and baros missing

Czech Rep - Very good performance, however the injury to Koller is a major blow. The Czech's have some very good players and in Rosicky and Nedved probably have the midfield pairing to date. The Italy- Czech game will be key as the loser will play Brazil in the first knockout round. Prediction Italy to win - Koller's injury will cost the Czechs.

Argentina - Watching the game against the Ivorians, the Argentines played some good football at times and you could clearly see that everything goes through Riqelme. Stop this guy and you win the game. The Ivorians has a number of chances to score and I couldn't believe the Argie defense was so poor, against a decent team they are going to concede a number of goals.

Mexico - Will have to improve to go through to the latter stages of this tournament, first decent team will fancy there chances.

Portugal - See Mexico - Where was Ronaldo? Thirty million more like thirty quid. ( Remember I might be biased, I'm a Liverpool supporter).

England - Lets all pray for a northerly wind with showers. Just hope we never play agin in the sun. (saying no more).

Germany - Poland coming up - maybe a little history comes with this tie - definately not for the faint-hearted. Germany to win, and qualify top of their group and so miss England. The Equadorians for us. I can't see Germany going far, maybe Sweden will beat them (hopefully).

USA - Sorry guys.

Rgds

Andy:)

I think Bruce knew in the back of his mind that it would be tough. I just hope they just give a better account of themselves against Italy. It's a shame they couldn't have started against Ghana.

Speaking of Ronaldo, that guy is just all flash. Never has impressed me.

I also an article quite critical of Sven for subbing Downing for Owen and for his choice of players, especially not picking Dafoe. I see no reason to think that they could even remotely challenge Brasil.

On a bright note, look forward to seeing Rozicky on the Gunners next year.

Unless your talking about the Greenbay Packers or the New York Giants..

or other NFL Football Teams, you are fighting a losing battle in the USA.

Go Giants.......wheres the Big Tuna?

Njja

Attachments

• huff_sam.jpg
    huff_sam.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 129
Hi Steven:

You are 100% correct.....of course I don't know if you would call it

coaching or tearing up! He is a no-nonsense coach that brought us a

Super Bowl Championship!

Njja:D

Njja said:
Unless your talking about the Greenbay Packers or the New York Giants..

or other NFL Football Teams, you are fighting a losing battle in the USA.

Go Giants.......wheres the Big Tuna?

Njja

Have to disagree. Football is growing gradually in this country. Almost all teams in the MLS now have their own stadiums. That's an important step and shows the viability of the league. The MLS has only been around 10 years. These things don't happen overnight. It will take time to grow. 2002 was just a taste of the future. Will football ever replace the big 3? No, that would be crazy to think so but it is growing and will continue to grow.

jazzeum said:
I think Bruce knew in the back of his mind that it would be tough. I just hope they just give a better account of themselves against Italy. It's a shame they couldn't have started against Ghana.

Speaking of Ronaldo, that guy is just all flash. Never has impressed me.

I also an article quite critical of Sven for subbing Downing for Owen and for his choice of players, especially not picking Dafoe. I see no reason to think that they could even remotely challenge Brasil.

On a bright note, look forward to seeing Rozicky on the Gunners next year.

One thing you can usually say about England is that they always seem to come good against better opposition. I think you'll see some improvement before the tournament is over.
The problem is Sven i think. He has an Italian mentality. The idea that you get in front then sit back and defend for the rest of the game. But that style of play doesn't suit England. We are at our best when we attack.

Come on Engerland.

Oh and Brazil haven't played yet and they are also in an easy group. I don't think they are as hot as everyone thinks and remember that Brazil have never won a World Cup in Europe.

Funny headline in the Sun today. apparently the German press have been criticising the England Wags (wives and girlfriends). so the Sun printed a picture of Posh Spice and a, shall we say, unattractive German frau in traditional garb. The headline reads The Beaut and Das Boot!

Oh The Sun is naughty. LOL :)

Eazy said:
Oh and Brazil haven't played yet and they are also in an easy group. I don't think they are as hot as everyone thinks and remember that Brazil have never won a World Cup in Europe.

Last time I checked Sweden was part of Europe.

I think sweden is classed as scandinavia [northern europe] ,so i think He is refering to mainland Europe.

It's still part of Europe, geographically. It's not a different continent.

Yep I was thinking more modern times. I sometimes forget the World Cup existed before 1966!

Still that's 5 European based World Cups where Brazil haven't won. Compared to winning 3 world cups since 1970 away from europe.

jazzeum said:
Have to disagree. Football is growing gradually in this country. Almost all teams in the MLS now have their own stadiums. That's an important step and shows the viability of the league. The MLS has only been around 10 years. These things don't happen overnight. It will take time to grow. 2002 was just a taste of the future. Will football ever replace the big 3? No, that would be crazy to think so but it is growing and will continue to grow.

I agree Brad, football is steadily gaining in popularity in the US and Australia. Australia has even gone so far as to change the official controlling organisation to Football Federation Australia.

Of course this may be confusing for a while as we already have several popular codes of football downunder: Rugby League (aka League), Rugby Union (aka Union) and Australian Rules (aka Aussie Rules). We'll just have to convince them that soccer is now the true football and they'll have to make do with their aliases :)

OzDigger said:
I agree Brad, football is steadily gaining in popularity in the US and Australia. Australia has even gone so far as to change the official controlling organisation to Football Federation Australia.

Of course this may be confusing for a while as we already have several popular codes of football downunder: Rugby League (aka League), Rugby Union (aka Union) and Australian Rules (aka Aussie Rules). We'll just have to convince them that soccer is now the true football and they'll have to make do with their aliases :)

A glance at the Aussie team-sheet shows that it's still quite an 'ethnic minority' sport if you can use the phrase. Plenty of Greek and Croat names. Interesting to see that 3 Australians are in the Croatian squad too. At least it's an improvement on the 1974 squad, which was packed with European-born mercenaries.

Regarding the increased popularity in Australia, could that be because it involves an international audience? For example, the Gaelic football/Aussie Rules hybrd of "International Rules" has been looked on by most players and some administrators as an unloveable mongrel, just something to play to raise the profile of both sports, a curiosity rather than something to get passionate about. And yet tens of thousands of Australians and Irish people turn out each time to watch it. I think that if there was an Australian under-13 girls American Football team out there, it would probably attract a following: you guys seem to be able to give everything a go, and do it well!

I agree that Football (Soccer) has traditionally had an 'ethnic' flavor in Australia. However that is not really a surprise considering the popularity of the game in most countries together with the multi-cultural aspect of modern Australia. In Australia, no one cares what surname you have, or where you are from, as long as you don't bring your troubles with you and interfer with other cultures - including the traditional Australian version.

It should be noted that Soccer is the most popular game in Australia with children (from all cultures) up until High School, I guess it losses it's attraction as guys enter puberty. However I suspect it will be more 'cool' downunder if it is called Football from now on, which is the intended idea.

Australian Rules is a good spectator sport, and is very popular in Victoria and South Australia and has a good following in Queensland where I live. In the Victorian capital of Melbourne it is particularly popular and supporters are indeed passionate. However it will never be a national Australian sport as it is restricted geographically and also lacks the money value of the International sports. Consequently Football is the only truelly common Footy game in Australia being popular in all the Australian states.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back