Football (Soccer) World Cup (3 Viewers)

France looked kinda flat last night,but then so did Brasil.Ozdigger you are right about Australia gaining a well deserved victory,suppose you got to win at something now the ashes are back home again!(only kidding)

Does anyone think Spain might go all the way this time?

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!

Rob;)

Rob said:
France looked kinda flat last night,but then so did Brasil.Ozdigger you are right about Australia gaining a well deserved victory,suppose you got to win at something now the ashes are back home again!(only kidding)

Does anyone think Spain might go all the way this time?

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!

Rob;)

The sad part is that you pommies never give us the ashes even when we win. You're as bad as those yanks with their America's Cup :)

hi, we have a great Toni this year.. the game in general of italy is not good for now.....in this first phase there isnt a team who have impressed me

saturday we have a great match... see you on the field of game

forza italia

If you're looking for a team that impressed, you need to look no farther than Spain, 4-0 over Ukraine. VIVA ESPANA!

Well the Germans were lucky..... gotta feel for the Poles.

Andy

England finally woke up. It's about time. If they keep playing like this, it'll be an early exit.

Well, Trinidad-Tobago pleasantly surprised me. They held on pretty tight, and I think they can be considered as THE surprise of the World Cup yet.

Glad to see Sweden finally won, and that the coach finally replaced Ibrahimovic for Allback...

I agree England didn't look at their best but it's very hard when you've got 11 decentish players behind the ball to break them down. I believe if England had scored earlier then we'd have gotten another couple of goals easily.

One thing for sure is the Germans wouldn't fancy playing us so soon.

Over on the jazz board I frequent, they seem a bit more sanguine and realistic about England than I read here,

FWIW I thought England were, by and large, appalling. Gerrard was diabolical apart from his (admittedly fine) goal. Lampard was only marginally less bad. Beckham delivered one or two good balls, but when not playing the long ball, is out of his depth. I agree in part with the comments made about the substitutions. I applaud Sven being - for once - a little bit attacking. Lennon clearly had to come on, and Rooney undoubtedly lifted the affair. But a couple of points. 1) Why on earth take off Carragher? If you're going to 3 at the back, Beckham CANNOT be one of them; neither can A. Cole. Beckham was the logical swap for Lennon - but Sven bottled it here. Lennon, IMHO, was far more potent down the right that Beckham. He actually took on, and beat, players, for a start. 2) Why on earth did Sven bring Walcott, if not to bring him on for Owen? Is Sven waiting for a 'dead rubber' to blood the guy? If so, what was his inkling as to his talent in the first place? Does he not trust him? If I were Defoe, even Fowler or Johnson, I'd be sick at not being taken.

By the way, judging from the following, Crouch's goal should have been disallowed. Appalling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJrHkMc5_J8

Eazy said:
I agree England didn't look at their best but it's very hard when you've got 11 decentish players behind the ball to break them down. I believe if England had scored earlier then we'd have gotten another couple of goals easily.

One thing for sure is the Germans wouldn't fancy playing us so soon.

Germany? If I were you, I'd be worried about playing Ecuador. They'll shred you.

uhm was my view not "sanguine and realistic"? I may have misread your comment and you weren't applying that comment to me.

If you were applying it to me then I apologize for my less than "sanguine and realistic" comments.

I am sorry to have lowered the sanguine and realistic nature of this thread and promise not to post again until my limited knowledge of football has improved to the levels of the Jazz forum. :)

jazzeum said:
Germany? If I were you, I'd be worried about playing Ecuador. They'll shred you.

I do not necessarily agree with your bold statement. I personally believe there is more to come from England. I may be misguided but I am an England supporter and we always live in hope.

Last edited:
Not you specifically and forgive me if I offended with my choice of words but the views that I see here from the English fans, based on the level of play so far, don't seem altogehter realistic. Germany or Ecuador have played much better than England so far and England will be in for a very tough match, assuming they and not the Swedes win the group. Everything I've been reading and seeing says that England really needs to play the way they have the potential to play to make a serious advance in this tournament. I'm a big fan of English football as I watch the Premiership every and the level of play has been very surprising so far.

Eazy said:
I do not necessarily agree with your bold statement. I personally believe there is more to come from England. I may be misguided but I am an England supporter and we always live in hope.

Well, I'm a Mets fan (baseball) and as we always do poorly, I know what you're talking about :D

I wouldn't worry that much about Equador. OK, they won against Costa Rica and Poland, but what's the big fuzz? We'll see what they're capable of when they play a world cup favourite like Germany...

That does not mean you don't have to be careful: these guys can be dangerous. In fact, every team can be pretty dangerous if they want to, even the Trini's:p (played a good game; Grouch should have gotten a card...)

It's about time this thread got a little lively. I need to throw a few more bombs! :D

LOL Brad.

Yep criticize England at your peril. We may moan about them ourselves a bit but if anyone else has a go we immediately go on the offensive.

Are the US passionate about a sport in the way that the English are passionate about football? To us the success (or lack of) of the England team is a subject of true national importance.

Forget why Blair has us in Iraq, we just need to know why Sven has taken Walcott but is not playing him.

Oh and how about Argentina this afternoon? 6-O! Suddenly they are looking like the real contenders.

x_gallinaballa.gif
Argentina!!!
x_gallinaballa.gif
Argentina!!!

Eazy said:
Are the US passionate about a sport in the way that the English are passionate about football?

I suppose American football probably qualifies but it's different because there is no sport that we like where there is international competition, such as football. It's a shame. Those of us who feel passion about football are still a minority. I don't feel passion for the US team but save it for Spain, where I lived for several years. That is the team I truly care about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back