Gods And Generals (1 Viewer)

Re-enactor's cut? Misplaced my copy of Gettysburg:eek: I have to look at Amazon.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE According to a few re-enactors I know, there was supposed to be a special, longer cut of "Gods And Generals" available to the participants in the film. It was supposed to have the whole Sharpsburg sequence as well as extended scenes that the theatre release did not have. I do not know if it ever got issued. I know that a special re-enactors version of "Gettysburg" was produced and distributed to re-enactors. I have scene that. It includes extended scenes and some cut scenes and was something like 45 minutes longer than the theatre release, if memory serves. -- lancer

Reb,

I did have a copy with the Antietam footage. It was a pirate copy I bought in a suburb of Shenzhen years ago. I think it was before you joined the forum, but when we were living in Dubai, the same conversation as this came up in some thread and I seem to remember offering to rip it and send it to anyone who wanted a copy. I had no idea the sensation that would cause. I think it was CapitolRon offered to sell his soul for a copy. Happy to oblige a fellow Frogger I had a hunt through my DVD collection - and couldn't find it? It transpired that The Light Of My Life had loaned it to someone (?) while I'd been out in Yemen slaving my guts out for weeks in order to keep her in the style to which she'd rapidly become accustomed. I never did get it back.
:mad::mad::mad:
I've hunted high and low for another copy of it here in China but the only version I can find is the one everyone else has.
That is sad news indeed Harry. I would have asked too. It is interesting that there are pirate versions of things that never existed. I guess the cutting rooms are not that secure.;):D

That is sad news indeed Harry. I would have asked too. It is interesting that there are pirate versions of things that never existed. I guess the cutting rooms are not that secure.;):D

lancer said:
According to a few re-enactors I know, there was supposed to be a special, longer cut of "Gods And Generals" available to the participants in the film. It was supposed to have the whole Sharpsburg sequence as well as extended scenes that the theatre release did not have. I do not know if it ever got issued. I know that a special re-enactors version of "Gettysburg" was produced and distributed to re-enactors. I have scene that. It includes extended scenes and some cut scenes and was something like 45 minutes longer than the theatre release, if memory serves. -- lancer

I guarantee you guys - I had a copy of an extended version of G&G and I'm still absolutely ragin' that it was loaned out and I never got it back.
I've no idea if it was some "re-enactors cut", or what the heck it was, but it definitely had scenes that don't appear in my present copy. Maybe it was extra Sharpsburg footage and not Antietam - I don't know cos I'm not an ACW buff, and I was simply sitting there enjoying what I thought was a pretty good movie.
It's been a long time since I indulged in a puff of Naughty Malboro, but I definitely saw extra scenes in my original copy.
Going to be watching The Sand Pebbles again tonight. Look here it is;

SP.jpg

I promise faithfully, if Darth Vader pops up during the movie, I'll report it to ya'll.

Yours TRULY
H

I guarantee you guys - I had a copy of an extended version of G&G and I'm still absolutely ragin' that it was loaned out and I never got it back.
I've no idea if it was some "re-enactors cut", or what the heck it was, but it definitely had scenes that don't appear in my present copy. Maybe it was extra Sharpsburg footage and not Antietam - I don't know cos I'm not an ACW buff, and I was simply sitting there enjoying what I thought was a pretty good movie.
It's been a long time since I indulged in a puff of Naughty Malboro, but I definitely saw extra scenes in my original copy.
Going to be watching The Sand Pebbles again tonight. Look here it is;
I certainly wasn't doubting that you had one, just musing on the creativity of the pirates. It is indeed a pity that you lost that one; as it is that they did not release it.

A re-enactors cut of Gettysburg; how is it packaged and how many did they release I wonder? There were a lot of re-enactors so you would think it would be available somewhere. When you say an extra 45 minutes do you mean longer than the DVD version, which is already 261 minutes?

I have read that a "Director's Cut", with several extended or deleted scenes, was produced and sold as a part of a special "Collector's Edition" released on VHS and LaserDisc but never released on DVD to date. There is also a Ron Maxwell's 271-minute (4 hours, 31 minutes) Director's Cut that has been shown on Turner's TNT Station regularly. I wonder how they all differ and whether one is the so called re-enactor's cut?

Hi all. Do not know about all the different cuts of G-burg. I remember watching the "re-enactors" cut with two of the participants many moons ago and my memory is that it was 45 mins or so longer than the theatrical release. I do not have any other info on who got it, how many, etc. It seems to me it was VHS format. Harry, Sharpsburg and Antietam are the same thing. It is just that north-south naming idiosyncrasy. Even here in Maryland, 50 or so mins from the site, it's name is a 50-50 roll of the dice. Most people I know use Sharpsburg. -- Al

I certainly wasn't doubting that you had one, just musing on the creativity of the pirates. It is indeed a pity that you lost that one; as it is that they did not release it.

A re-enactors cut of Gettysburg; how is it packaged and how many did they release I wonder? There were a lot of re-enactors so you would think it would be available somewhere. When you say an extra 45 minutes do you mean longer than the DVD version, which is already 261 minutes?

I have read that a "Director's Cut", with several extended or deleted scenes, was produced and sold as a part of a special "Collector's Edition" released on VHS and LaserDisc but never released on DVD to date. There is also a Ron Maxwell's 271-minute (4 hours, 31 minutes) Director's Cut that has been shown on Turner's TNT Station regularly. I wonder how they all differ and whether one is the so called re-enactor's cut?

I would enjoy seeing eliminated scenes very much,,would most of the cuts be within the first day? Hoods actions,devils den etc

Wow! I just saw part of "The Blue and the Gray". That brings back old memories. Was clearing some things out and found it on tape. Think I'll watch the whole thing again its been awhile.

I would enjoy seeing eliminated scenes very much,,would most of the cuts be within the first day? Hoods actions,devils den etc
Well hopefully they still have an original 70mm master of the full version. Some times the cuts are just discarded. It seems the studios still don't get how much the consuming public enjoys uncut or at least extended cut versions.

From Wiki...Director's Cut
DVD cover for the film

The "Director's Cut" version of Gods and Generals has an alleged running time of six hours, and has never been released to the public in any format. For the theatrical release, almost two-and-a-half hours of footage was removed to get the length down to approximately 3 hours, 39 minutes. Among the footage edited includes a sub-plot which follows John Wilkes Booth, the famous actor who would eventually become the man who assassinated President Abraham Lincoln. One scene towards the end of the extended cut of the film features Chamberlain and his wife, Fanny, attending a production of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar in which Booth plays Brutus. Chamberlain and his wife have a conversation with Booth and his fellow actors following the end of the play.

Another scene cut from the film features a performance of Macbeth in Washington, D.C. Booth plays the role of Macbeth, which is being seen by President Lincoln. When he gives the famous "dagger of the mind" soliloquy, he looks directly at Lincoln while reciting it. Later, when Booth is offered the chance to meet with Lincoln, he refuses.

Possibly the one scene that historians were sad to see removed from the film was the sequence dealing with the Battle of Antietam. The battle was seen mostly from the perspectives of Jackson (who played a major strategic role in the battle) and Chamberlain (whose brigade was held in reserve). A few minutes of footage from this scene was available online, but since appears to have been removed.

When Ron Maxwell showed the director's cut of the film in a very early pre-screening, it received a standing ovation at the end. However, there are apparently no plans being made by Warner Bros. to release the extended version of the film on DVD. At one point, Dennis Frye, who served as associate producer and helped organize the units of reenactors used in the film, supposedly said that the film was intended for release in the fall of 2005. However, this did not occur.

Michael

From Wiki...Director's Cut
DVD cover for the film

The "Director's Cut" version of Gods and Generals has an alleged running time of six hours, and has never been released to the public in any format. For the theatrical release, almost two-and-a-half hours of footage was removed to get the length down to approximately 3 hours, 39 minutes. Among the footage edited includes a sub-plot which follows John Wilkes Booth, the famous actor who would eventually become the man who assassinated President Abraham Lincoln. One scene towards the end of the extended cut of the film features Chamberlain and his wife, Fanny, attending a production of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar in which Booth plays Brutus. Chamberlain and his wife have a conversation with Booth and his fellow actors following the end of the play.

Another scene cut from the film features a performance of Macbeth in Washington, D.C. Booth plays the role of Macbeth, which is being seen by President Lincoln. When he gives the famous "dagger of the mind" soliloquy, he looks directly at Lincoln while reciting it. Later, when Booth is offered the chance to meet with Lincoln, he refuses.

Possibly the one scene that historians were sad to see removed from the film was the sequence dealing with the Battle of Antietam. The battle was seen mostly from the perspectives of Jackson (who played a major strategic role in the battle) and Chamberlain (whose brigade was held in reserve). A few minutes of footage from this scene was available online, but since appears to have been removed.

When Ron Maxwell showed the director's cut of the film in a very early pre-screening, it received a standing ovation at the end. However, there are apparently no plans being made by Warner Bros. to release the extended version of the film on DVD. At one point, Dennis Frye, who served as associate producer and helped organize the units of reenactors used in the film, supposedly said that the film was intended for release in the fall of 2005. However, this did not occur.

Michael

There is a book of the original screenplay that I checked out from the local library, along with one of 2004 Alamo, they are much better in the original screenplay...

I remember reading eons ago that the Antietam section in G&G which was removed was an incredible depiction of the bloodiest day in the history of the war. I also recall that on one of the Civil War Roundtables that I frequent a discussion on the reason this full cut has never been released is apparently a real dog's breakfast on who exactly own's the rights to the deleted scenes/chapters. Whether it be Turner-WB's-Maxwell or another half dozen executive producers it would need a legion of lawyers to work it out-making it extremely doubtful whether we would ever see it in it's entirety. Great pity that :(

Reb

I remember reading eons ago that the Antietam section in G&G which was removed was an incredible depiction of the bloodiest day in the history of the war. I also recall that on one of the Civil War Roundtables that I frequent a discussion on the reason this full cut has never been released is apparently a real dog's breakfast on who exactly own's the rights to the deleted scenes/chapters. Whether it be Turner-WB's-Maxwell or another half dozen executive producers it would need a legion of lawyers to work it out-making it extremely doubtful whether we would ever see it in it's entirety. Great pity that :(

Reb
Yes it does sound a great pity but I am surprised to hear about the confusion over ownership. Sometimes movie rights get seperated between the studio and the director but generally the studio keeps all rights to what was filmed, cut or uncut and it is rare for the producers to have any rights. I wonder what the full story is on this?

I liked Gods and Generals infinately more than Gettysburg. I agree it could have used more fighting.

And we all know why that is Cap, the Confederates won all of the battles in Gods and Generals........:D

I had a word with Steve from Belle and Blade at Historicon and he is going to try and hunt down a copy of the movie with the Antietam footage; if anyone can find it, he can.

He got me the 1966 version of Beau Geste, so anything's possible...........

And we all know why that is Cap, the Confederates won all of the battles in Gods and Generals........:D

I had a word with Steve from Belle and Blade at Historicon and he is going to try and hunt down a copy of the movie with the Antietam footage; if anyone can find it, he can.

He got me the 1966 version of Beau Geste, so anything's possible...........
Count me in George if he finds it.;)

Count me in George if he finds it.;)

Consider yourself counted in.

Like I said, if he can dig up the 1966 version of Beau Geste, he can do anything.

I told him I'd consider it a personal favor if he could pull it off.

I'd make sure Uk Reb got a copy as his ACW dioramas are top shelf and he deserves a copy.

Steve said he'd keep me posted and he's a man of his word.......................

I'd make sure Uk Reb got a copy as his ACW dioramas are top shelf and he deserves a copy.

George

You are indeed a gentleman and a scholar and the Reb "thanks you kindly sir"

Bob

I asked the Armchair General guy also, but he likes George " best ". George probably could have sold more at the show, if he was not watching that Beau Geste movie and giving potential customers his best Telly Savales impression, as the mean, sadistic ogre of a Sgt.:D Michael

Last edited:
George

You are indeed a gentleman and a scholar and the Reb "thanks you kindly sir"

Bob

Bob,
You are a top shelf person, and I mean that very much. I have heard the Antietam battle scenes are spectacular, so keep your fingers crossed..................

I asked the Armchair General guy also, but he likes George " best ". George probably could have sold more at the show, if he was not watching that Beau Geste movie and giving potential customers his best Telly Savales impression, as the mean, sadistic ogre of a Sgt.:D Michael

I love that version of Beau Geste and whenever he walked up to me and said I have a nice surprise for you and handed it to me, I was thrilled.

Not sure what drove more customers away; Beau Geste or The Three Stooges I had playing, my cousin and I were killing ourselves laughing at the stooges..................have to love Historicon.

There was a superb Antietam game at the show as well in 28mm, it was huge and spectacular.............

'I have heard the Antietam battle scenes are spectacular, so keep your fingers crossed.'

Hope they don't have the Texas Brigade in those innacurate frockcoats.They were long gone by the time of Antietam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back