hippiefest- the tour (3 Viewers)

What, we're not allowed to hippy bash? I, for one, hate hippies (which I think is really short for hipocrites).

Come on, Louis! Is this a generalization or what?? ALL hippies? So any hippie on this Forum is on your 'hate' list? While I know that emotions ran high back in the day, let's not paint the world in such broad strokes.

All hippies. All Europeans. All lawyers. All Americans. Blanket statements like this only serve to offend people, who may nor may not fit the 'neat' categories we want to put them in.

"Hippies" had a lot more to them then just being war protesters. According to answers.com's definition of hippies they were:

Members of a movement of cultural protest that began in the United States in the 1960s and affected Europe before fading in the 1970s. Hippies were bound together by rejection of many standard American customs and social and political views (see counterculture). The hippies often cultivated an unkempt image in their dress and grooming and were known for practices such as communal living, free love, and the use of marijuana and other drugs. Although hippies were usually opposed to involvement of the United States in the Vietnam War, their movement was fundamentally a cultural rather than a political protest.

Come on, Louis! Is this a generalization or what?? ALL hippies? So any hippie on this Forum is on your 'hate' list? While I know that emotions ran high back in the day, let's not paint the world in such broad strokes.

All hippies. All Europeans. All lawyers. All Americans. Blanket statements like this only serve to offend people, who may nor may not fit the 'neat' categories we want to put them in.

"Hippies" had a lot more to them then just being war protesters. According to answers.com's definition of hippies they were:

Members of a movement of cultural protest that began in the United States in the 1960s and affected Europe before fading in the 1970s. Hippies were bound together by rejection of many standard American customs and social and political views (see counterculture). The hippies often cultivated an unkempt image in their dress and grooming and were known for practices such as communal living, free love, and the use of marijuana and other drugs. Although hippies were usually opposed to involvement of the United States in the Vietnam War, their movement was fundamentally a cultural rather than a political protest.

Sorry Shannon, don't want to paint a whole subculture with the term "hate", but the only thing that came out of hippydom that I enjoy is the band Jefferson Airplane. Most of what hippies stood for may have been fine, but the way they turned from the hippies of the 60's to the "me" generation of the 80's really turned me off. Not to mention the fact that instead of going after politicians, the archetects of the Vietnam War, they were hostile to the troops, who deserved better after serving their country. I also hate the style (or lack thereof - hip huggers and bell bottoms, yuck!), and the music of the symbol band for the subculture, the Grateful Dead (with the exception of the song "Alabama Getaway"). So, while you are right, I don't hate every hippy, I just don't care for Hippy culture.

As one who grew up in the 60s, while many who are on this Board were toddlers or just a gleam in their parents eye, I don't know what it means when we say "hippie culture." The 60s were a time to rebel against the conformity of the 50s, the Eisenhower years, which was probably a reaction to the escalation to near armageddon of the 40s and 30s.

So, a lot of us were into rebelling and doing different things, myself included, growing hair long and doing the things older people (like me now) complained about. The more they complained, the more we wanted to do it and we knew we were on the right track. Youth is for hell raisin' and we were determined to do it and we were trying to upset the old order in any way we could.

But we all didn't do the same thing or we did it differently. Some people went to Haight Ashbury, which what I think Louis is alluding to. Dude, if you don't like the Dead (and I don't consider myself a dead head), how could you like the Airplane or you could reverse that also. You had to like to like Big Brother and the Holding Company. What about the Doors. The Beatles begat the Stones who begat the Doors. Still love them.

Anyway, we didn't like how things were and tried to change it. Some dropped in and some dropped out. I worked for Bobby Kennedy in '68 and I'll still never forget the night he died. Whether you liked him or not, it was a terrible thing, something I hate to dredge up from my memory.

What happened to the vets was terrible. They were unfortunately a symbol for what many Americans, not just hippies or yippies didn't like. My draft number was 24 but the draft ended when I graduated college in 1973 or otherwise I would have gone and I wasn't about to run off. I may have thought I was a little rebel but I still obeyed the law:)

There were hippies but there were also yippies and there were just middle class kids looking to find their way in a world that seemed pretty crazy and seemed like it needed a lot of changing.

Sorry to ramble but I don't think about those days too much anymore but you know people change so maybe all those counterculture types became selfish and what we now call "self absorbed", pc talk for just selfish, but that's the way of the world. When you're young, you're one way but as you get older, you change: you get married, you have kids, etc. So all those people who went to Woodstock (I didn't go; I was away or something or I don't remember what, probably my parents wouldn't let me:) ) are probably now self respecting people. Hey, maybe they're King and Country collectors!

P.S., let's not forget what goes around comes around. My son, who is a teenager now has long hair, listens to loud music (metal). I complain 'bout it but, hey, all he's doing is what I did so I try to cut him some slack and try to understand his music. It's his time so let him enjoy it. Thirty years ago he would have been a dead head, now he's a metal head.;)

But some of metals lyrics from bands like cannibal corpse are all about torture and death of innocent people.And that band is considerd one of the longest standing and respected groups. If you look up their lyrics it will absolutely blow your mind.

Trust me, I know. That's one of the groups he listens to. I don't like metal and what they sing about but see my prior post :D

But some of metals lyrics from bands like cannibal corpse are all about torture and death of innocent people.And that band is considerd one of the longest standing and respected groups. If you look up their lyrics it will absolutely blow your mind.

Mr Lee,
Have you ever listened to some of Black Sabbath's or Iron Maiden's lyrics? Like Brad said, what goes around comes around.

i may start to ramble on here but please bear with me. i grew up in "the projects" in east new york brooklyn in the 50's. these projects were mainly built for ex-gi's. they were built in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by working farms as far as the eye could see. what is now the 'jamacia bay wildlife preserve' butted up right next to them... some people that my friends and i befriended had 'new york city' trapping and hunting licenses... in the mornings we'd go out with them, learning how to set traps, skin, etc and in the afternoon play ball, ride bikes.. it was a tom sawyer lifestyle. my father and friends fathers were all wwll vets, so we were all constantly reminded of god, country, and the american way of life. told you i would ramble. anyway, i was 17 when the 'beatles' and the british invasion of music hit the usa. they became a huge influence in my life. at that time we still played 45's at friday night school and church dances. i brought my copy of 'i want to hold your hand' and was promptly told to not play that crap again. grew my hair long and started looking 'hippiest' but my values never changed. then in 1966, i, along with most 19 year olds, in the neighberhood, that werent in college, i had dropped out, were drafted... we all went and our families were all proud, tradition you know. i went to 'nam' and my life has never been the same. will have to continue later.......

i may start to ramble on here but please bear with me. i grew up in "the projects" in east new york brooklyn in the 50's. these projects were mainly built for ex-gi's. they were built in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by working farms as far as the eye could see. what is now the 'jamacia bay wildlife preserve' butted up right next to them... some people that my friends and i befriended had 'new york city' trapping and hunting licenses... in the mornings we'd go out with them, learning how to set traps, skin, etc and in the afternoon play ball, ride bikes.. it was a tom sawyer lifestyle. my father and friends fathers were all wwll vets, so we were all constantly reminded of god, country, and the american way of life. told you i would ramble. anyway, i was 17 when the 'beatles' and the british invasion of music hit the usa. they became a huge influence in my life. at that time we still played 45's at friday night school and church dances. i brought my copy of 'i want to hold your hand' and was promptly told to not play that crap again. grew my hair long and started looking 'hippiest' but my values never changed. then in 1966, i, along with most 19 year olds, in the neighberhood, that werent in college, i had dropped out, were drafted... we all went and our families were all proud, tradition you know. i went to 'nam' and my life has never been the same. will have to continue later.......

pugio,
Looking forward to your next post. Sometimes we forget.

First thing I want to say is, sorry to Pugio, when I first read your post, it struck me wrong. I believe you have the right to express yourself, I just think booing him might have been more appropiate. I had long hair, but I did not consider myself a Hippy. I love the music of the 50's 60's 70's, 80's and 90's. I played sports, Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Hockey. My Senior year in High School I went down to our local recruiting station and signed up to become a Marine with a High School buddy. About two months when we were about to be officially swore in, my friend told me he was not going to do it. I being the low self esteme follower, back out also. I don't blame him, but myself, I could have served all through peace time. Speaking of Peace, that is what most of the Hippy Culture represented in those days. I wore bell bottoms, I tried pot a few times, it just made me tired. My father served in Korea, his father served in WWII, I have Irish ancestory that fought in battles in Ireland. Thank you to Shannon and Brad, for toneing down the retiric that was creeping in. Pugio, I'm sorry for your friend, those were turbulent times, it's a wonder that we made it out as we did. I was a big Beatles, John Lennon fan, and all he was saying is, Give Peace a Chance. Mike:)

just a fast side-note..... growing up til i was drafted, i had 7 very close friends. 4 of us were jewish, myself included (european), 1 protestant (irish-scot) and 2 catholics (italian). the reason that i bring this up is.... i must have been 8 or 9, when one spring sunday i was told that i couldnt go out and play wearing dungarees and t-shirt... i had to wear nice clothes, turned out later it was easter sunday. later that year, on a jewish holiday, when my jewish friends and i had to wear suits (my families one consession to religion, it was more tradition than religion in my house) my other friends also came out in suits, asking why they all said ' our parents told us out of respect for your religion' boy, how times have changed... our parents werent called rhe greatest generation for nothing.....

Andy,

It's said to say but that kind of respect is lacking these days. Unfortunately, that is an outcropping of those days that you and I grew up in. You hear it in the language, in songs, where it seems people can only express themselves in four letter words. I try to get this point across, to no avail, to my son. It's all a lowering of standards.

Hou my vas korporal
Ek's a kind skoon verdwaal
Ons speel oorlog met one beste jaar

Sal ek weer my cherrie sien as ons van die trein afkilm
Sal ne wieer alhoelwel

BY die bar oo De Ar sit ons almal deurmekaar
En ons wag vir die trein na wie weet waar

Hou my vas korporal
Ek's a kind skoon verdwaal
Ons speel oorlog met one beste jaar

Sal ek weer my cherrie sien as ons van die trein afkilm
Sal ne wieer alhoelwel

BY die bar oo De Ar sit ons almal deurmekaar
En ons wag vir die trein na wie weet waar

Keep taking them pills Damian.....They'll work eventually. :D:D
PS. Damian - I never did get the chance to pick up any more Zevron CD's, was trying to fit too much in, in too little time - Maybe next time.

Last edited:
Harry Mate
Those were our Fixin to die rags during the Border war.
It was a bit more poignant than old Country Joe and it was in Afrikaans

Hold me tight corporal
I'm a child completely lost
We 're palying war with our best years
Will I see my girl again when i climb off this train

At the bar in de Aar we all sit toatlly confusesd #
and wait for a train to god know where

Regards
Damian Clarke

Harry Mate
Those were our Fixin to die rags during the Border war.
It was a bit more poignant than old Country Joe and it was in Afrikaans

Hold me tight corporal
I'm a child completely lost
We 're palying war with our best years
Will I see my girl again when i climb off this train

At the bar in de Aar we all sit toatlly confusesd #
and wait for a train to god know where

Regards
Damian Clarke

Thought it was something like that Damian.
Best Regards
H

I am after the Koolaid with Lemon. I think Sir Sidney recommended that
Regards
Damian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back