hippiefest- the tour (1 Viewer)

As the saying goes, "don't kill the messenger," but here are the lyrics from the song that Andy was talking about that got this whole thread going:

Yeah, come on all of you, big strong men,
Uncle Sam needs your help again.
He's got himself in a terrible jam
Way down yonder in Vietnam
So put down your books and pick up a gun,
We're gonna have a whole lotta fun.

And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a ****,
Next stop is Vietnam;
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

Well, come on generals, let's move fast;
Your big chance has come at last.
Gotta go out and get those reds —
The only good commie is the one who's dead
And you know that peace can only be won
When we've blown 'em all to kingdom come.

Next stop is Vietnam;
Well there ain't no time to wonder why

Huh!

Well, come on Wall Street, don't move slow,
Why man, this is war au-go-go.
There's plenty good money to be made
By supplying the Army with the tools of the trade,
Just hope and pray that if they drop the bomb,
They drop it on the Viet Cong.

Next stop is Vietnam.
Well there ain't no time to wonder why

Well, come on mothers throughout the land,
Pack your boys off to Vietnam.
Come on fathers, don't hesitate,
Send 'em off before it's too late.
Be the first one on your block
To have your boy come home in a box.

And it's one, two, three
Next stop is Vietnam.
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,

I'm a bit confused, the War was unpopular, I'm pretty sure Country Joe served, he was expressing a popular opinion in a sarcastical way. This thread is starting to morph into hate anyone with a different opinion than me. Country Joe supported the troops, not the WAR. Lets not start going down if you don't support the War, you don't support the troops. The few ignorant idiots that spat on troops and called them baby killers, were brain dead cowards. When I made my comment about Pugio's swearing rage, I did not know he was a Nam., Vet. I should not have said no class, I should have said, you should have just booed. I wonder how many kids were there to hear his opinion. Nobody will ever see anything the same, Hippie is just a word to attack, like Liberal, and or Neocons. I had two uncles and one cousin serve in Nam., and from their experiences, they were never the same. I don't hate Long Hair Peaceniks, that's why I Love, Jesus Christ. Mike:)

I think we've all cooled off. The last couple of pages of posts did not seem angry to me.

Whether you love them or hate them, you have to say that hippies smell bad. There are still a few around, and one worked at my school. And she smelled like death itself!:eek:

I agree with Modwalls - if Jesus came on this earth today many people would call him a hippie, self-righteous, politically correct, all that jazz.

I don't see much in those lyrics that attack veterans - they're anti-war lyrics blaming the politicians and corporations and boardroom glory-seeking generals that benefit from war and send good soldiers to die for no good reason. In fact, I think those lyrics contain a lot of truth and that's why they hit a raw nerve with some.

I'm a bit confused, the War was unpopular, I'm pretty sure Country Joe served, he was expressing a popular opinion in a sarcastical way. This thread is starting to morph into hate anyone with a different opinion than me. Country Joe supported the troops, not the WAR. Lets not start going down if you don't support the War, you don't support the troops. The few ignorant idiots that spat on troops and called them baby killers, were brain dead cowards. When I made my comment about Pugio's swearing rage, I did not know he was a Nam., Vet. I should not have said no class, I should have said, you should have just booed. I wonder how many kids were there to hear his opinion. Nobody will ever see anything the same, Hippie is just a word to attack, like Liberal, and or Neocons. I had two uncles and one cousin serve in Nam., and from their experiences, they were never the same. I don't hate Long Hair Peaceniks, that's why I Love, Jesus Christ. Mike:)

I've got to be honest with you, I agree with Modwalls on this one. I don't think the lyrics are anti-soldier, they seem to be anti-general, anti-politician and anti-defense-profiteer (all of which are good things as far as I'm concerned). Any body who mouths off about our troops being baby killers can drop dead, but this song doesn't do that, as far as I can tell.

let me clarify something... i dont mind protest songs, anything by dylan, baez, peter paul and mary buffy st. marie are no problems for me, as a matter of fact i like most of them... thats their rights as americans... what bothered me about country joe was somewhere along the line, his act included burning american flags, hanging uncle sam in effigy and he has said some disparriging words about the troops that were there. so i guess its his whole image that has bothered me all these years. and by the way he was a navy vet...

as a nam combat vet who saw much "horrors of war" and had friends die in my arms dont tell me i showed no class... joe and his irk was safe at home singing this crap... and believe me the war may have been unpopular but unlike today, we troops had no support at home... could go on and one but why waste my time with someone who has a closed mind.......

Pugio
Thanks Bro It don't mean notting.
This kind will never get it. They never had to put a friends guts back in for him and wrap him up in T-shirt to keep them in while gaging on the smell.
They hold the door open for so called enlighten to walk in and rule.

For me i thought the song was more anti the type of Vain Glorious Generals we all know and hate.In fact it reminded me of that classic WW1 Poem from S.Sassoon.

THE GENERAL.

'Good morning good morning!' the General said
When we met him last week on our way to the line.
Now the soldiers he smiled at are most of 'em dead,
and we're cursing his staff as incompetent swine.
'He's a cheery old card' grunted Harry to Jack
As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.

But he did for them both by his plan of attack.

Rob.

Here's the story of Rhodesia a land both great and true
On the 11 th of November an Independent State
That was much against the wishes of certain governments
Whose leaders tired to cursh us and make us all repent

But we're old Rhodesians and we will fight through thick and thin
We'll keep this land a free land stop the enemy comming in
We'll keep them north of Zambezi till that rivers running dry
For this land and all it's people will never disappear.

They can send their gangs to murder They can shout their words of hate
But the cost of keeping this land free can never be too great
For our men and boys are fighting for the things that they hold dear
So this mighty land will prosper and never disappear

We will stand tall in the sunshine with the truth upon our side
And if we have to ago alone we will go alone with pride

Clem Tholet
Rhodesians Never Die 1977

This is a good old patriotic song
Didn't help much though

Regards
Damian

Hey man, it's not cool that he went to a hippiefest then abused one of the singers :(

And it's not cool for hippies to abuse soldiers for doing their duty :(

Live and let live man - PEACE ;) :D

Where are all the great bands and singers for the current conflict. I cannot see the current lot competing with the sixties singers like Bob Dylan and Jefferson Airplane etc
Regards
Damian

Where are all the great bands and singers for the current conflict. I cannot see the current lot competing with the sixties singers like Bob Dylan and Jefferson Airplane etc
Regards
Damian

The only recent song that comes close is "Dear Mr President" by Pink, but it covers several other subjects as well as the war. I think it was only released as a single in Australia and Europe.

Regards
Damian

Let's not forget the Byrds. Turn, Turn, Turn is still relevant and the fact that we have to dredge up songs from the past and that these songs are still relevant is sad in a way.

Turn, Turn, Turn

To every thing, turn, turn, turn,
There is a season, turn, turn,turn,
And a time to every purpose under heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

To everything, turn, turn, turn,
There is a season, turn, turn, turn,

A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones
A time to gather stones together

A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace
A time to refrain from embracing

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late.

Regards
Damian

Times are different I suppose Damian. We're not going through the massive social and cultural changes as the 1960's. No civil rights movement and no draft in the USA this time either which I think possibly makes a difference.

I hear the Dixie chicks raised a bit of a storm!:eek::eek:(whilst they were over here actually)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back