hippiefest- the tour (3 Viewers)

I hear the Dixie chicks raised a bit of a storm!:eek::eek:(whilst they were over here actually)

Yes, that last album of their's was controversial in the States to say the least - especially with the redneck radio stations. Pretty good album though.

The modern bands don't have any credibility unlike the bands of teh 1980's. I mean Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet those guys were the real deal. They actually programmed their own synthesizers;)

The modern bands don't have any credibility unlike the bands of teh 1980's. I mean Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet those guys were the real deal. They actually programmed their own synthesizers;)

Thats funny:D

Where are all the great bands and singers for the current conflict. I cannot see the current lot competing with the sixties singers like Bob Dylan and Jefferson Airplane etc
Regards
Damian

I,m sure when Rage against the machine releases some new stuff
they will be into it ,he is a very angry man :eek:

It was rumoured that the 80's guys even did their own make up. Bring back Frankie goes to Hollywood for real street cred.

It was rumoured that the 80's guys even did their own make up. Bring back Frankie goes to Hollywood for real street cred.

How about Boy George and his bum-chum, what was his name? Marilyn or something? Set that them and the rest of that bunch of 1980's mincers loose in Afghanistan and watch the Taliban surrender in droves pleading for the ear defenders....:D:D
Ever watched the video for "Feed The World"? The cost of hairspray and mascara would have kept a 3rd world country pretty much stocked with guns, tanks and other military ordinance until well into the 1990's. And that's just the guys hairspray and mascara.....:rolleyes:

All I know, is I miss The exciteable Boy, and SRV, those were two great artist. You just don't hear, went down to dinner in his Sunday best, and rubbed the pot roast all over his chest, the way Warren Zevon did it. I seen him in a little bar club called Headliners North, in Nashua N.H. when I was about 24. Never got to see the white Jimi Hendrix Stevie Ray Vaughn, but I'll take his guitar up against everyone but Clapton. Roland the Headless Thompson gunner, was one of my favorite songs, I've been meaning to mention that to Harrythe heid.Those Hair bands of the 80's, dressing up like woman, now that was sick. Mike:)

All I know, is I miss The exciteable Boy, and SRV, those were two great artist. You just don't hear, went down to dinner in his Sunday best, and rubbed the pot roast all over his chest, the way Warren Zevon did it. I seen him in a little bar club called Headliners North, in Nashua N.H. when I was about 24. Never got to see the white Jimi Hendrix Stevie Ray Vaughn, but I'll take his guitar up against everyone but Clapton. Roland the Headless Thompson gunner, was one of my favorite songs, I've been meaning to mention that to Harrythe heid.Those Hair bands of the 80's, dressing up like woman, now that was sick. Mike:)

Mike, SRV :confused:
I've been wondering who might make the connection with Roland and mention it in a post. Damian was the other one who got the reference. Warren Zevron isn't too well known in the UK. It was actually cos I'm a big Linda Ronstadt fan and she covered some of his songs that I looked up his greatest hits album. I think its awesome. In fact, think I'll put it on the CD player again right now.
Aaaaargh.....SRV.....Stevie Ray Vaughn.....Idiot Heid....:eek::eek::)

Warren Zevon was not a hippy. Tom Waits also said he slept through most of the 60's. The sex pistols said Never trust a hippy.

To be honest, some of the songs I listen to might well be hippie songs--I'll never know, since the singers can't annunciate! They could be saying anything! It is like listening to someone speaking French; it sounds pretty, but what are they really saying?:eek:

The Hippies of the 60's, not all, have grown up to become the yuppies of today. They were just young adults growing up in tough times, rebelling against their fathers and mothers values. Now as they grow up, they find that their parents values were not quite as bad as they thought. Growing their hair long, listen to music that upset their parents, was just their way of expressing themselves in that time. Today the young adults do shaved head hairdos, pierceing, tattooing, to express themselves. I came from the typical white middle class suburbs. If your hair was not some what long in my High School, you were kind of a geek. The real long hair students were refered to as Freaks. The athletes were Jocks, and the guys who worked on their cars as Motorheads. The straight A students tended to be called Geeks, Nerds, and just about anything else. But the thing I remember and did like, we all got along at the local parties, till a parent came home, or the Police showed up. Everybody body was all the above, kind of like the movie Breakfeast Club. But the movie that shows my High School days is, Dazed and Confused. The Hippies of yesterday, are now the Parents of today. Each generation had their own share of growing pains. Mike:)

Amen brother. I really think that unless you lived in those times, you really can't understand it. Things we take for granted today were issues then. For example, when I was in 11th grade in 1967, one of my friends was sent home from school because she wore jeans! Her parents were called in, the whole bit. The result: she continued to wear the jeans and the school had to back down.

I hear a lot of stupid hippie comments on this thread but I get back to what is a hippie. Frankly, I had more fun hangin' out with the so called hippies than most other people. If you didn't live through the times, you just don't understand them.

Well some of us were from the punk generation. YOu know God Save the Queen a Fascist Regime, The Dead Kennedys California Uber Alles and The Clash. Today Punk has become commercialized and is prepackaged I mean Green Day get real. In many ways The Boss was a Punk Rocker

I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook's
Going to get himself a big dish of beef chow mein
Werewolves of London

If you hear him howling around your kitchen door
Better not let him in
Little old lady got mutilated late last night
Werewolves of London again
Werewolves of London

He's the hairy-handed gent who ran amuck in Kent
Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair
Better stay away from him
He'll rip your lungs out, Jim
I'd like to meet his tailor
Werewolves of London

Well, I saw Lon Chaney walking with the Queen
Doing the
I saw Lon Chaney, Jr. walking with the Queen
Doing the
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect
Werewolves of London
Draw blood

Apparently there is a place in Soho called Lee Ho Fook's
He has taken Beef chow mein off the menu though.
Too many American tourists were comming in and requesting a plate of it.

Regards
Damian

I believe the Warren Zevon Excitable Boy Album, with the picture of the 44 Magnum on the dinner plate, was suppose to be the cover originally. But the powers to be at the time, thought it inappropriate. That is his best Album by far. I would not put Bruce Springsteen in the punk rock catagory, he was just a basic ole time rock n roller. Nothing fancy, jeans and a tee shirt, Red White and Blue blue collar guy. I don't think you would find hair spray or make up any where near him. The man could put on a show for five hours non stop, he was and still is, a classic rocker.Mike:)

Punk was all about getting back to basics, putting the artist back in touch with the fans. Not the huge big grandiose stadium rock that developed during the seventies. In that sense I consider Springsteen to be a bit of a punk. He is in my opinion simply one of the greats.

Regards
Damian

Punk was all about getting back to basics, putting the artist back in touch with the fans. Not the huge big grandiose stadium rock that developed during the seventies. In that sense I consider Springsteen to be a bit of a punk. He is in my opinion simply one of the greats.

Regards
Damian

Yeah, the Boss has written some classics and although I haven't seen him live, his shows seem to be awesome.
PS. I considered a few lines from "Werewolves of London" or "Things to do in Denver When Your Dead" for the signature, but settled on poor old Roland instead. Still, he did manage to get his own back....in Mombassa. :eek::):eek:

it is one of the few rock songs that namechecks Johannesburg. SO it cannot be too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back