HM of Great Britain (5 Viewers)

This is one of the "typical' HM of GB country sets: "the friends", I put more in my album.
Al

Attachments

• hm6.jpg
    hm6.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 215
I'll have to have a dig around the loft, I'm sure I still have the original design drawings somewhere. Peter used to enjoy the design part.

Martin

Hello Martin, Just came across this old thread on the forum and wondered if you could help me in my long-running search for some of HM of GB's most original output.

Were you by any chance involved in the design/production of the 'Tudor World' range that Peter produced mainly for the Mary Rose museum? The figures I have are dated 1989 on the base, which would make them some of their first productions. I have a soft spot for this HM of GB series, as the Mary Rose cannon and crew were the very first metal toy soldiers I ever bought. (Or rather, was bought, being 12 at the time!).

I was treated to a mounted Henry VIII and two Yeomen of the Guard a couple of years later, but didn't see any more of the Tudor figures till 2005, when I bought some odds and ends at the Toy Soldier Show from a chap selling them on behalf of Peter's widow.

I once had a folded A3 colour catalogue of the HM of GB range which I promptly lost (12-year-olds being what they are), but I still have a couple of intriguing information slips that were in the boxes, and these state there were 12 figures in the Tudor series.

I recently found that John Eden has the moulds for most of the figures, but no accompanying paperwork or painted samples for reproducing the colours. He's also missing the 'Giant Archer' figure, based upon the skeletal remains found in the Mary Rose. I know this existed, as I have the information slip for it, having been given the wrong box for one of my yeomen by the shop assistant.

I'd love to complete the set, some 20 years after my first purchase, so if you do have any information/drawings/figures, I'd be very happy to hear from you.

Kind regards, Paul C

I have HM of GB early catalog but it covers mostly non-military sets.
Al

Hello Boerboy,
Just found this thread in my searches for information on HM of GB and wondered if your catalogue includes images of their 'Tudor World' range, which I suspect was one of Peter's first series. The figures I have are dated 1989 on their bases, and I was bought mine in 1990-91 in the Mary Rose museum shop. I did have a simple A3 folded colour brochure myself, but sadly lost it - 12-year-old boys are notoriously bad filers...

I'm trying to find a colour photo of the figures, both to see the extent of the range, and as a painting guide for the castings that John Eden is still able to supply. Love to see a scan of your catalogue if at all possible.
20 years is an awfully long time to wait to complete a set!

Kind regards, Paul C

Hello Boerboy,
Just found this thread in my searches for information on HM of GB and wondered if your catalogue includes images of their 'Tudor World' range, which I suspect was one of Peter's first series. The figures I have are dated 1989 on their bases, and I was bought mine in 1990-91 in the Mary Rose museum shop. I did have a simple A3 folded colour brochure myself, but sadly lost it - 12-year-old boys are notoriously bad filers...

I'm trying to find a colour photo of the figures, both to see the extent of the range, and as a painting guide for the castings that John Eden is still able to supply. Love to see a scan of your catalogue if at all possible.
20 years is an awfully long time to wait to complete a set!

Kind regards, Paul C

If it helps I did make the masters. I remember there was Henry VII mounted, Yeoman mounted, Yeoman dismounted, The 6'8" archer and a gun and three crew (I didn't make the gun) Most of the painting references came from the Osprey book on Henry VIII army. I've been trying to find the original paperwork but with no luck so far!

Martin

Most of the painting references came from the Osprey book on Henry VIII armf it helps I did make the masters. I remember there was Henry VII mounted, Yeoman mounted, Yeoman dismounted, The 6'8" archer and a gun and three crew (I didn't make the gun) y. I've been trying to find the original paperwork but with no luck so far!

Martin

Hello Martin,
I hadn't given much thought to who might have mastered the range until I read this thread, but now I've looked at the figures afresh, I can definitely see your hand, as it were. I think it's the shape of the bases and poise of the horses. Reminds me of some very attractive West India Regiment(?) figures I saw in Toy Soldier a few years back - Was that you working under the brand 'Reveille'? Did you ever make a band to go with them? But I digress...
Getting back to the Tudors, I bought a copy of the Osprey book last week, hoping that it would hold the answers, but there's not much cross over between the colour plates and actual figures, bar the yeoman on foot. (Interestingly, Alexander's Toy Soldiers do a small Tudor range that follow the plates very closely - As did Tradition's discontinued set of Henry VIII's arquebusiers).
The HM of GB slips reference the Cowdray House engravings and two Tudor paintings in the Royal Collection, one of which I've seen hanging in Hampton Court. I'm assuming the Mary Rose Trust helped with those specific figures (which aren't in the Osprey book), but their shop doesn't keep records longer than 6 years (I've been in touch with them), so all trace of HM of GB's products has long since left Portsmouth.
So far, I've traced the existence of following items, either through the info slips, my own collection, or what John has 'in mould':
Henry VIII on horseback
Mounted Yeoman
Yeoman on foot (mine have halberds, but the info slip suggest there was a variant armed with a pike)
Yeoman drummer on foot
Archer about to draw a bow
Archer about to fire
Three gunners - Master, rammer and loader
Bronze cannon - possibly a culverin
The Giant Archer (in spirit, if not in body)

That makes 11 items, or the full 12 if you count the arm variation of the Yeoman.
I just have a sneaking suspicion there was a Yeoman fifer, but I may be imagining it.
John Eden has just discovered he has a wrought iron breach loading cannon in his collection of moulds, which I already owned as a boxed kit I found on ebay, so I this may or may not have been part of the original range.
Hope some of this rings a few bells with you - Fingers crossed you find something in the loft!
Best wishes, Paul

Hello Martin,
I hadn't given much thought to who might have mastered the range until I read this thread, but now I've looked at the figures afresh, I can definitely see your hand, as it were. I think it's the shape of the bases and poise of the horses. Reminds me of some very attractive West India Regiment(?) figures I saw in Toy Soldier a few years back - Was that you working under the brand 'Reveille'? Did you ever make a band to go with them? But I digress...
Getting back to the Tudors, I bought a copy of the Osprey book last week, hoping that it would hold the answers, but there's not much cross over between the colour plates and actual figures, bar the yeoman on foot. (Interestingly, Alexander's Toy Soldiers do a small Tudor range that follow the plates very closely - As did Tradition's discontinued set of Henry VIII's arquebusiers).
The HM of GB slips reference the Cowdray House engravings and two Tudor paintings in the Royal Collection, one of which I've seen hanging in Hampton Court. I'm assuming the Mary Rose Trust helped with those specific figures (which aren't in the Osprey book), but their shop doesn't keep records longer than 6 years (I've been in touch with them), so all trace of HM of GB's products has long since left Portsmouth.
So far, I've traced the existence of following items, either through the info slips, my own collection, or what John has 'in mould':
Henry VIII on horseback
Mounted Yeoman
Yeoman on foot (mine have halberds, but the info slip suggest there was a variant armed with a pike)
Yeoman drummer on foot
Archer about to draw a bow
Archer about to fire
Three gunners - Master, rammer and loader
Bronze cannon - possibly a culverin
The Giant Archer (in spirit, if not in body)

That makes 11 items, or the full 12 if you count the arm variation of the Yeoman.
I just have a sneaking suspicion there was a Yeoman fifer, but I may be imagining it.
John Eden has just discovered he has a wrought iron breach loading cannon in his collection of moulds, which I already owned as a boxed kit I found on ebay, so I this may or may not have been part of the original range.
Hope some of this rings a few bells with you - Fingers crossed you find something in the loft!
Best wishes, Paul

This has got me wondering what happened to all of Peter Kingsland paperwork, I wouldn't want to bother Jenny (Peter's widow). Peter also did some consulting work with the original William Britains.
As to Reveillie, yes that was me. If you keep an eye on this forum the range will be making a comeback. There was an awfull lot of figures that were never shown!
The only person Peter told me he had sold the range to was a Philip Magor, How anyone else has them I don't know.

Martin

What an absolutely fascinating thread this is turning out to be. I have been just following it - as I have never seen any of the figures referred to - and can't provide any input - but would love to see some examples - if at all possible. I absolutely love historic figures - such as those discussed - and love detective stories too - so - best of both Worlds with this story!

Would love to see some more pictures - if possible, in some future installments. If I do, then I think John Eden may be doing some more business - from me!.

Many thanks to all involved - for a fascinating - and unfolding story - "An eavsdropper" (aka johnnybach)

This has got me wondering what happened to all of Peter Kingsland paperwork, I wouldn't want to bother Jenny (Peter's widow).

The only person Peter told me he had sold the range to was a Philip Magor, How anyone else has them I don't know.

Martin

Hello Martin,
Interesting to read your comments -I was actually just about to try and contact Peter's widow, via a trader called John Woolf. He was selling some remnants of HM of GB stock on Jenny's behalf at the December 2005 Toy Soldier Show which was where I picked up two more of the bronze cannons and crew. I have a habit of keeping all my used cheque books, so I managed to identify him from the cheque stub and get his contact details from the event organisers at K&C.
I understand Peter died suddenly in around 2000 (?), having suffered a heart attack whilst hiking/climbing and being air-lifted off a mountain. I don't want to cause any anguish by stirring up the past, but the more I find out about his work, the more I see this search as being about trying to preserve Peter's professional legacy. I think it's a crying shame that such well-researched and original figures should just fade into obscurity without any lasting record being made. Being my first proper lead soldiers, I've have a particular attachment to the range, and would like to at least document what is missing, and try to faithfully recreate the original finish on the new castings.

I know this kind of thing happens with a lot of small makers once they close, but it would be nice to make an attempt to rescue this one from obscurity before the trail goes cold. You've now put me in a bit of quandry as to whether to approach Jenny -Given the context, and the fact you must know her better, what do you suggest?

Alternatively, do you have any contact details for Phil Magnor(?) Surely Peter would have given him painting guides if he sold him the range?
As far as I know, John Eden has moulds for the rare breeds, bits of the home farm series, various mounted staff officers in pre-1914 full dress and most of the Tudors. He may have more - Seems his website is the tip of the iceburg. I only found out he had the Tudors by a chance spot on ebay
Father Greg at Fleurbaix has the Sudan range, with the camel corps, Dervishes and a 4.7inch gun and crew. I think he posted a picture of one of the camels on Treefrog a while back. I did see 6 slightly care-worn originals at the London show about 2 years ago, and now regret not buying them.
As to all the full dress British Army in review order that started this thread - Who knows? I've seen a few pictures of originals by searching past auctions on the Vectis site, but no reissues.
The packaging and box art is very impressive - Was this something Peter did himself?

Anyway, I will await your counsel before making any further enquiries.
Paul

P.S. Look forward to seeing the resurrection of Reveillie!

I look to the rebirth of Reveille with great anticipation! I have a number of previous figurres that are very well cast.

Bosun Al

Hello Martin,
Interesting to read your comments -I was actually just about to try and contact Peter's widow, via a trader called John Woolf. He was selling some remnants of HM of GB stock on Jenny's behalf at the December 2005 Toy Soldier Show which was where I picked up two more of the bronze cannons and crew. I have a habit of keeping all my used cheque books, so I managed to identify him from the cheque stub and get his contact details from the event organisers at K&C.
I understand Peter died suddenly in around 2000 (?), having suffered a heart attack whilst hiking/climbing and being air-lifted off a mountain. I don't want to cause any anguish by stirring up the past, but the more I find out about his work, the more I see this search as being about trying to preserve Peter's professional legacy. I think it's a crying shame that such well-researched and original figures should just fade into obscurity without any lasting record being made. Being my first proper lead soldiers, I've have a particular attachment to the range, and would like to at least document what is missing, and try to faithfully recreate the original finish on the new castings.

I know this kind of thing happens with a lot of small makers once they close, but it would be nice to make an attempt to rescue this one from obscurity before the trail goes cold. You've now put me in a bit of quandry as to whether to approach Jenny -Given the context, and the fact you must know her better, what do you suggest?

Alternatively, do you have any contact details for Phil Magnor(?) Surely Peter would have given him painting guides if he sold him the range?
As far as I know, John Eden has moulds for the rare breeds, bits of the home farm series, various mounted staff officers in pre-1914 full dress and most of the Tudors. He may have more - Seems his website is the tip of the iceburg. I only found out he had the Tudors by a chance spot on ebay
Father Greg at Fleurbaix has the Sudan range, with the camel corps, Dervishes and a 4.7inch gun and crew. I think he posted a picture of one of the camels on Treefrog a while back. I did see 6 slightly care-worn originals at the London show about 2 years ago, and now regret not buying them.
As to all the full dress British Army in review order that started this thread - Who knows? I've seen a few pictures of originals by searching past auctions on the Vectis site, but no reissues.
The packaging and box art is very impressive - Was this something Peter did himself?

Anyway, I will await your counsel before making any further enquiries.
Paul

P.S. Look forward to seeing the resurrection of Reveillie!

I like what you're saying about keeping the legacy alive and I belive Jenny would like it too. I think of Peter as one of the people that gave me a start, I had just left the army and was making cake decorations of all things! (waving peguines etc. At least I got to make the wedding cake pillars for Prince Andrew and Fergie) When I went to Euromilitaire to look for work, that's where I met Peter and he was looking to start a new range. I supose it's only natural to look back at something that you made over twenty years ago (how the years fly!) and see how they could be improved, but they hold fond memories for me and I just wish I'd kept ahold of some. Any way I'm sending you a p.m. with both Jenny's and Philip's details.

Martin

What an absolutely fascinating thread this is turning out to be. (aka johnnybach)

Glad to hear that someone else is interested! - There is still some detective work to ahead, but I think the end result will be worth it.

My collection is in temporary exile at my parents house (too many little hands in mine at present), but by chance I am staying with them at the moment and have been intending to take some photos for just this purpose. If you email John Eden, say hello from me - I'm sure he can send over some of the casting shots he did for ebay recently.

I now have a little letter writing to do, but will be posting updates over the coming weeks, depending upon how things pan out.

If there are any other HM of GB enthusiasts out there then please make yourselves known by adding to the thread. It's early days, but I suspect the only sure way of documenting Peter's output will be through photographing items from our private collections and pooling them in one place for posterity.

Regards to all,

Paul C

. I supose it's only natural to look back at something that you made over twenty years ago (how the years fly!) and see how they could be improved, but they hold fond memories for me and I just wish I'd kept ahold of some. Any way I'm sending you a p.m. with both Jenny's and Philip's details.

Martin

Hello Martin, Just a quick update on the HM of GB 'quest'.
I've had a nice exchange of emails, letters and phone calls with Jenny over the past two weeks. She recently sold any figures she didn't want to keep (space issues) to a dealer in Yorkshire, but took a photos of everything which is fortunate! These photos, plus a lone colour promo leaflet, may provide all the basic painting details I need for the Tudor figures. Still missing the Giant Archer, but at least I should have a photo reference for future hunting.
Also sent a letter to Philip, which I hope will enlarge the pool of reference figures - Did a quick name check on the Times Rich List and suspect he'll have a PA to field my request! Jenny said he'd bough enough Sudan campaign soldiers to fill his billard table. Now that's a layout I'd like to see.
If you were interested in buying some examples of your early work, I can pass on the details of the dealer, as he still has some of the pieces: lots of oddments from the farm series and British Army in full dress.
Out of interest, I've seen a really nice set called 'The Home Coming' featured in a Norma Joplin toy soldier book, credited to your skilled hand. It comprises a soldier in scarlet home service dress holding his baby daughter aloft, while his son tries on his spiked helmet, and the wife stands looking on. The bases look to be cast integrally, unlike the rest of the HM of GB range, so I assumed this was produced on your own account(?) I have a scan of the picture, but haven't worked out how to post images on the forum!
My keen eye spotted the boy and the baby (cast with the father's hands) in amongst one of Jenny's boxes of oddments, which jogged my memory. Sadly, no Mum or Dad, just the children. Can you still supply this set yourself, or is it now lost to us?
The hunt goes on.
Best wishes,
Paul

Paul if you are able to email the photos I am sure Martin or myself will be glad to post them on your behalf.

Hello Britfarmer - Just learning the ropes - Let's see if this works....

Attachments

• HomeComing1.jpg
    HomeComing1.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 201
The home comming set is part of my own range,(Reveille) which I intend to revive this year. So it is still available.

Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back