Jagdtiger Blues (4 Viewers)

Jagdtiger first though (confirmed anyway), so Eastern or Western front???

Rob

Jagdtiger first though (confirmed anyway), so Eastern or Western front???

Rob

An Eastern Front Jagdtiger from K&C. I don't think so. I have to expect a generic Jagdtiger or less likely Western Front. I really expect generic only because they will be costly and K&C will want one that can fit anywhere.

Terry

Apologies to Mitch

The thread started about the Jagdtiger (Jadgpanzer VI- SdKfz186. It had a 128mm PaK44 L/55 gun- the largest weapon fitted to a production tank in WWII.
source: Tiger in Action: Armour 27 (squadron/signal).

There is a paragraph in the same book about US troops in Belgium who had to cut a road around an abandoned immovable Jagdtiger to allow the advance to proceed. There is no picture in the publication to support the story. I like my Tamiya version of the Jagdtiger.

Mitch's picture is that of a "SturmTiger" which used as armament the rackentenwerfer61 L/54, a 380mm rocket launcher. It was intended to destroy heavily fortified positions and large buildings and was essentially a giant mortar. It was this "tank" that was probably involved in the Warsaw operation - being used in a standoff role at a safe distance to pound the s**t out of the ghetto.

Rob..

Are these the ones? I think these would look great and I like this other one. One of these really needs doing soon
Mitch

attachment.php

This Sturmtiger was from Sturmmörser-Kompanie 1000 that was captured by American forces in Oberembt near Düren in February 1945. This was the Sturmtiger my HB Gold edition was modeled after.

Sturmtiger5a.jpg

Sturmtiger_1_2010_5_16_small.jpg

Frank...

Nice model done the the way only HB could do
Mitch

This Sturmtiger was from Sturmmörser-Kompanie 1000 that was captured by American forces in Oberembt near Düren in February 1945. This was the Sturmtiger my HB Gold edition was modeled after.

Sturmtiger5a.jpg

This photo shows the GI set I wish Andy would make.

As we have looked at Tiger variants would anyone fancy one of these tigers?? I would be quite interested in one of these Tiger P (Porsche) early versions very unique and would make a different tiger to the standard releases.
Mitch

Attachments

• tiger_p.jpg
    tiger_p.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 145
  • tigerp_5.jpg
    tigerp_5.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 152
Hey guys, this beast, the jagdtiger , when engaged with our u.s. Tanks could and did inflict serious damage on our tanks. Defensively they could control a wide area and did in northwest europe. Imagine if they were avilable in normandy. Thanks again andy

I agree as to their gun power and armour superiority but, downsides were poor movement and allied air power. Although, I like this AFV if I were a german ground commander and had the option of ten of these or ten 88mm guns I would take the latter
Mitch

Gun power wasn't a problem on late war German tanks. The 12.8 cm gun used two part ammunition which would have slowed reload times. The Soviet JS2 had the same problem. Combined with the lack of gun traverse and limited ammunition capacity I suspect the big gun created more problems than it solved. The resources would have been better spent building more Panzerjäger 38t (Jagdpanzer 38).

Here is what Carius had to say about it.

"When the assault guns were calibrated in Sennelager, we experienced our first failure. Despite its 82 tons, our Hunting Tiger didn’t want to act like we wanted it to. Only its armor was satisfactory, its maneuverability left a lot to be desired. In addition, it was an assault gun. There was no traversing turret, just an enclosed armored housing. Any large traversing of the main gun had to be done by moving the entire vehicle. Because of that, transmission and steering differentials soon broke down. That such a monstrosity had to be constructed in the final phase of the war made no sense at all." - Otto Carius, "Tiger im Schlamm".

Gun power wasn't a problem on late war German tanks. The 12.8 cm gun used two part ammunition which would have slowed reload times. The Soviet JS2 had the same problem. Combined with the lack of gun traverse and limited ammunition capacity I suspect the big gun created more problems than it solved. The resources would have been better spent building more Panzerjäger 38t (Jagdpanzer 38).

"When the assault guns were calibrated in Sennelager, we experienced our first failure. Despite its 82 tons, our Hunting Tiger didn’t want to act like we wanted it to. Only its armor was satisfactory, its maneuverability left a lot to be desired. In addition, it was an assault gun. There was no traversing turret, just an enclosed armored housing. Any large traversing of the main gun had to be done by moving the entire vehicle. Because of that, transmission and steering differentials soon broke down. That such a monstrosity had to be constructed in the final phase of the war made no sense at all." - Otto Carius, "Tiger im Schlamm".

So he's saying bigger isn't always better!:)

I still love this vehicle, my next wish will be a smaller vehilce--- "the puma " 8 wheeled armored car with turret.

Its the same thing with the Jagdpanther. Although more reliable than the KT the traverse was still an issue. This can be seen on the example at the Imperial War museum, three neatly grouped holes punched through her side armour, the danger of not having a turret.

2009_0915IWM0004.jpg

Rob

Rob...

The jagdpanther was an excellent AFV and, was potent even without the turret. Even with a turret you sometimes missed the opponent and died or, could not traverse the turret fast enough and.. died.

I am glad we had superiority in numbers as I would much rather have been inside a german tank for the protection and firepower than a ''ronson''. The stats show the kill ratio the germans had against allied tanks in both west and east they more than held their own even with airpower and as outnumbered as they were.

I really like the mix of german armour and some of the designs they were able to come up with but, they spread themselves to thin and lacked foresight. The panzer IV was perfectly capable of being upgraded quite easily and was but, they liked the Tigers and panthers and jagd versions.

Like the pics of the damage to the jagdpanther
Mitch

Rob...

The jagdpanther was an excellent AFV and, was potent even without the turret. Even with a turret you sometimes missed the opponent and died or, could not traverse the turret fast enough and.. died.

I am glad we had superiority in numbers as I would much rather have been inside a german tank for the protection and firepower than a ''ronson''. The stats show the kill ratio the germans had against allied tanks in both west and east they more than held their own even with airpower and as outnumbered as they were.

I really like the mix of german armour and some of the designs they were able to come up with but, they spread themselves to thin and lacked foresight. The panzer IV was perfectly capable of being upgraded quite easily and was but, they liked the Tigers and panthers and jagd versions.

Like the pics of the damage to the jagdpanther
Mitch

Mitch, I wasn't doubting the quality of the Jagdpanther, just pointing out one of its two main problems (the other being wheel maintenance) that it shared with the Jagdtiger. The Jagdpanther was arguably the best Tank killer of WW2.

Rob

Rob..

was not questioning you just the fact that it was a superb AFV and meant you would have thought with the Jagdtiger lessons would have been learnt but, although its a great AFV it was a monster which, did not live up to its potential not only for what you said but, its weight issues.

Still, its going to take up some shelf space I bet
Mitch

Rob..

was not questioning you just the fact that it was a superb AFV and meant you would have thought with the Jagdtiger lessons would have been learnt but, although its a great AFV it was a monster which, did not live up to its potential not only for what you said but, its weight issues.

Still, its going to take up some shelf space I bet
Mitch

Yes indeed, Hitlers obsession with bigger and better diverted much needed funds to these monsters, as I guess did the V weapon programme that Hitler thought would win the war-idiot!.;). Although smaller and more mobile the Hetzer was another excellent Tank killer, I have K&C's Bulge version and hope they do another one day.

This new model sounds like it will be some beast, better reinforce my display shelves!;):cool:

Rob

Its the same thing with the Jagdpanther. Although more reliable than the KT the traverse was still an issue. This can be seen on the example at the Imperial War museum, three neatly grouped holes punched through her side armour, the danger of not having a turret.

2009_0915IWM0004.jpg

Rob

Nice grouping! I think the 88mm (on any platform) was the best tank killer!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back