Japanese Navy "Zero" attacking Pearl Harbor (1 Viewer)

These "outlines" had always been debated - even for Hobby Master planes.

Take for example this JSDF Phantom F-4. Without outlines it would make the model plain, dull, but some camp of collectors find such outlines a "turn-off" though.

HA1933.jpg

It's all up to personal preference .... {sm4}

Just received my JN009 "Hiryu" version of the iconic Zero and as expected I think its a terrific piece. Takes me back to my youth when I enjoyed viewing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" on TV. I also got JN006 "Imperial Navy Pilot with Headband" to go with it. Nice figure. I'm glad I got one before they were sold out. The model fits very well within my K&C and JJD warbirds collection. In regards to the "black outlines".....I think without them the model would be a fairly dull grey colour. The lines give the model definition and character. From a distance you can't even see them, from normal viewing range in just provides contrast and depth, from very close up (like some of the shared photographs) it obviously stands out and looks a bit odd. I think viewing something so unrealistically close you could find fault and unrealistic features about any piece from any company ever made!

Just received my JN009 "Hiryu" version of the iconic Zero and as expected I think its a terrific piece. Takes me back to my youth when I enjoyed viewing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" on TV. I also got JN006 "Imperial Navy Pilot with Headband" to go with it. Nice figure. I'm glad I got one before they were sold out. The model fits very well within my K&C and JJD warbirds collection. In regards to the "black outlines".....I think without them the model would be a fairly dull grey colour. The lines give the model definition and character. From a distance you can't even see them, from normal viewing range in just provides contrast and depth, from very close up (like some of the shared photographs) it obviously stands out and looks a bit odd. I think viewing something so unrealistically close you could find fault and unrealistic features about any piece from any company ever made!

Hello "Cyber Field Marshall":

I agree with all your comments noted above. I also recall the USA produced TV program "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep" from back in late 1970s. I also just recently read a book on "Pappy" USMC Major Greg Boyington who was an Ace pilot before being shot down and became a POW of the Japanese for about the last year of WW2. "Pappy" was also a "Flying Tiger" for a period of time before he rejoined the U.S. Marines again as a fighter pilot.

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

Completely agree. The new KC Zero is a real beauty, with correct looking proportions and colors. I know that the KC method of highlighting the panel lines and such is taking a lot of flak from some people and that these lines are not strictly accurate in terms of appearance but I like the way they look. To me this is an artistic choice and I think it works fine. Maybe not for the purists, but for me it is a KC trademark that is their style. This is a fine looking model of what I consider the best looking fighter of WW2. -- Al
After all these months I was finally able to get a KC Mitsubishi Zero. I got JN-009, the aircraft from the Hiryu, with the blue ID markings. It is a superb model and I am extremely happy to have finally gotten it. For those who might wonder about the ID markings on the Zeros, at the time of Pearl Harbor, the Japanese naval strike force, the First Air Fleet (Kido Bitai, meaning Mobile Unit/Force), consisted of 5 carrier divisions of 2 carriers each. There were 3 carrier divisions used in the strike on Pearl Harbor, the 1st, 2nd, and 5th. The First Division were the carriers Agaki (designated carrier #1, aircraft Id of 1 red fuselage stripe, tail letters AI) and Kaga (designated carrier #2, aircraft Id of 2 red fuselage stripes, tail letters AII). The Second Division were the carriers Soryu (carrier #1, aircraft 1 blue fuselage stripe, tail letters BI) and Hiryu (carrier #2, 2 blue fuselage stripes, tail letters BII). The Fifth Division were the carriers Shokaku (carrier #1, 1 white fuselage stripe, tail letters EI) and Zuikaku (carrier #2, 2 white fuselage stripes, tail letters EII).
The Zero I purchased thus has the 2 blue stripes and EII letters of the second carrier (Hiryu) in the Second Carrier Division. My Zero also carries a single blue stripe on the tail indicating a flight leader. The numbers on the tail, 124, fall within the standard Japanese numbering system for their fighter aircraft, 1 through something like 156. Dive bombers were numbered in the 200's and torpedo/level bomber were in the 300's.
I like the model so much that I may well go for the other one at some point. :wink2: -- Al

I am wrapped in these, waiting for the third paint variation touted by Andy. Robin.

Attachments

• P3010015.jpg
    P3010015.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 144
  • P3010007.jpg
    P3010007.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 148

Attachments

• P3010011.jpg
    P3010011.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 136
  • P3010013.jpg
    P3010013.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 141
  • P3010008.jpg
    P3010008.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 139
After all these months I was finally able to get a KC Mitsubishi Zero. I got JN-009, the aircraft from the Hiryu, with the blue ID markings. It is a superb model and I am extremely happy to have finally gotten it. For those who might wonder about the ID markings on the Zeros, at the time of Pearl Harbor, the Japanese naval strike force, the First Air Fleet (Kido Bitai, meaning Mobile Unit/Force), consisted of 5 carrier divisions of 2 carriers each. There were 3 carrier divisions used in the strike on Pearl Harbor, the 1st, 2nd, and 5th. The First Division were the carriers Agaki (designated carrier #1, aircraft Id of 1 red fuselage stripe, tail letters AI) and Kaga (designated carrier #2, aircraft Id of 2 red fuselage stripes, tail letters AII). The Second Division were the carriers Soryu (carrier #1, aircraft 1 blue fuselage stripe, tail letters BI) and Hiryu (carrier #2, 2 blue fuselage stripes, tail letters BII). The Fifth Division were the carriers Shokaku (carrier #1, 1 white fuselage stripe, tail letters EI) and Zuikaku (carrier #2, 2 white fuselage stripes, tail letters EII).
The Zero I purchased thus has the 2 blue stripes and EII letters of the second carrier (Hiryu) in the Second Carrier Division. My Zero also carries a single blue stripe on the tail indicating a flight leader. The numbers on the tail, 124, fall within the standard Japanese numbering system for their fighter aircraft, 1 through something like 156. Dive bombers were numbered in the 200's and torpedo/level bomber were in the 300's.
I like the model so much that I may well go for the other one at some point. :wink2: -- Al
I really need to proof-read because I can't type worth a fig. The First Air Fleet was known as the Kido Butai, not Bitai. :redface2: -- Al

A little more info on Hiryu Zero A6M2 Model 21, BII-124. This aircraft was flown by Petty Officer 1st Class Tsugio Matsuyama, who was credited with 2 kills over US fighters while in action over Kaneohe and Bellows airfields. Later in the war. this aircraft was crash landed on Melville Island, near Darwin, Australia on Feb.19, 1942. The pilot on this occasion was Sgt. Hajime Toyoshima, who survived the crash to become the first Japanese PoW in Australia. -- Al

Last edited:
I have over the years been able to resist buying any aircraft, but Al, you are seriously tempting me. Is it that good as the best WWII aircraft you've seen?

I have over the years been able to resist buying any aircraft, but Al, you are seriously tempting me. Is it that good as the best WWII aircraft you've seen?
That is a real subjective question but I like it as well as any WW2 1/30 model aircraft I have seen. My hands-on experience with WW2 aircraft in this scale is limited to KC but I like KC and their style of doing their models. I have 4 KC WW2 aircraft, the Marseille Bf-109, the FW190a, the AVG P-40, and now the Hiryu Zero. I like them all but I love the P-40 and the Zero. I have no hands-on knowledge of Figarti or TGM to compare with, or even the beautifully done wooden aircraft KC makes. -- Al

Robin,

That is just one great DIO.

I have both the Zero's and now I need a carrier deck

Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Mark

i have to respectfully take issue with al's statement about artistic choice. These are supposed to be military miniatures and at the price that is being asked, they are not toys. At $260 we should get a model that was an approximation of the real plane. The lines mar an otherwise excellent plane.

By comparison, see the wood version made a few years ago, the lines are not as obvious and meld with the plane.

i agree with brad, i havbe seen these planes in person and they just don't have the dark panel lines on them. I own a few kc planes and i love the first fock wulf but i have stayed away from a bunch of others for the exact reason of these unrealistic panel lines. Maybe kc ought to make one with and without and see which on sells the most.

By the way, thats a great dioramo you made

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all of the nice things you’ve been saying about our first two “Zeros”. We’ve sold out here in Hong Kong so if anyone is looking for a “Zero” contact your nearest and friendliest K&C dealer...They might have a couple left.

If not #3 is in the works – it will be Japanese ace “Saburo Sakai” and his Zero. Sakai did not take part in the Pearl Harbor raid...He was too busy attacking The Philippines! More details later...

A very big “congratulations” to my good friend Robin “Village Horse” and his mighty aircraft carrier...magnificent!

Now, how do you get it into your bathtub or...is it permanently moored outside in your swimming pool..?

Don’t worry that third Zero will be flying on board in the not-so-distant future.

See you soon in OZ...

Best wishes,
Andy​

Sakai is a great choice, and really a necessary one, considering the recognition factor. If I remember correctly, Sakai was involved with the shootdown of Colin Kelly's B-17. -- Al

Too kind Andy, please sneak the new Zero in to your luggage, the carrier has plenty of room^&grin. See you 3 weeks Sunday. Robin.

What a beautiful setting, the carrier, for your Zeros Robin.

Wonder if Andy will be adding USN aircraft to the inventory. Would think those would sell even faster than the Zeros. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back