Japanese Navy "Zero" attacking Pearl Harbor (1 Viewer)

Iron Brigade

Command Sergeant Major
When I just recently secured delivery of the February 2015 Issue 201 of Toy Soldier & Model Figure magazine I soon noted the back cover page that always has a K&C ad on it. The K&C advertisement shows most of the new K&C Imperial Japanese Navy sets relating to the attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941. After a couple of days or so I decided to make room for one of the two Japanese Navy Mitsubishi A6M "Zero" planes, namely the model representing a squadron commander off of the aircraft carrier "Akagi", Lt. Suburo Shindo. Lt. Shindo was credited with sending the famous signal as they were about to attack Pearl Harbor, "Tora, Tora, Tora" indicating a successful surprise attack. He survived the war and died in the year 2000.

K&C set# JN 001 "Red Stripe" Zero A1-102 includes the pilot figure in the cockpit. I also purchased a set# JN 004, "Deck Flag man" as well. The above two sets have retail prices of $259.00 and $40.00 USD.

The 1:30 scale model plane measures at about 15.5 inches for wingspan and 11.5 inches form nose to tail. The plane seems to be well built and looks splendid.

I decided not to get a figure of Admiral Yamamoto who planned the attack as he was on board his flag ship in a harbor in Japan at the time. Do to display space limitations of 15.5 inches wide and 10 to 12 inches in depth I also skipped getting any other foot figures that are available. Treefrog Treasures seems to have all of these new K&C sets available to view at their shopping area of their web-site. This Display represents the plane as it is about to take off.

Please see #4 photos below starting with an overview of my new small display, close up of front of the plane, close up of the flagman & close up of the pilot.

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

Forum 1.jpg

Japanese Navy Zero , 7 Dec. 1941 003Forum 2.jpg

Japanese Navy Zero , 7 Dec. 1941 002Forum 3.jpg

Forum 4.jpg

This plane looks really good! Thanks for sharing. Though I mostly collect Napoleonics, I have a soft spot for the Pacific Theatre of the Second World War because my great-grandfather was in the British army and was captured by the Japanese when Singapore fell.
Cheers,
Brendan

REAL NICE Gary,

Mine is on order with George (MMTS). I am getting my dimes and nickels together and hope to have them arrive this month.
I have been hoping for this Pacific Naval range (or even an re-release of WWII US Marines / Japanese Soldiers) for a L-O-N-G time.

I can't guess what K&C and Andy are planning for the future, but I have been mulling over building a carrier deck and tower as a display but it seems a bit of a daunting task the more I look into it {sm2} .... but still might be worth it.

Andy ..... any plans on carries deck section you would like to share???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes2:

--- LaRRy

I haven't quite made up mine mind if I'm going to start collecting this series yet. I like it but still thinking. {sm2} Ron

The panal seam highlighting seems a bit sloppy for a model of that price, but perhaps that is intended to be weathering.

Nice pick up Gary. If I were to collect this series I would get a flat board which could be easily stored in the shed, but could double as a carrier deck. Could be fairly basic, just some lines marking out the runway strip and perhaps some basic blocks to one side to represent the bridge/control tower. At the moment have made the decision not to collect any planes, otherwise this series would be on my radar. Good luck with your collecting. Robin.

The panal seam highlighting seems a bit sloppy for a model of that price, but perhaps that is intended to be weathering.

I am not a big fan of those heavy panel lines and detracts, unfortunately, from what is a very nice plane.

Just my observation .. :rolleyes2:.. but I believe that Toy Soldiers like many works of art should never be viewed from only a few inches away. The pictures are wonderful but they are taken very close to the subject and with harsh lighting. Except for "possibly" Zach's Russian figures and the like, nothing looks good up close.

Shaving every morning is proof enough for me on that observation .... {sm4}

--- LaRRy

Picked up 3 items from my local K&C dealer yesterday.....

This is two of them....

attachment.php

attachment.php

I will post the ZERO once I unbox it (when I have good daylight for a shot of this plane) {sm4}

I really like the figures. I picked up the other version of the Zero a few days ago. Hoping to get a few photos on soon.

What a beauty {sm4}

TORA TORA TORA

Look at the wingspan.... :wink2:

Completely agree. The new KC Zero is a real beauty, with correct looking proportions and colors. I know that the KC method of highlighting the panel lines and such is taking a lot of flak from some people and that these lines are not strictly accurate in terms of appearance but I like the way they look. To me this is an artistic choice and I think it works fine. Maybe not for the purists, but for me it is a KC trademark that is their style. This is a fine looking model of what I consider the best looking fighter of WW2. -- Al

I have to respectfully take issue with Al's statement about artistic choice. These are supposed to be military miniatures and at the price that is being asked, they are not toys. At $260 we should get a model that was an approximation of the real plane. The lines mar an otherwise excellent plane.

By comparison, see the wood version made a few years ago, the lines are not as obvious and meld with the plane.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 319
Agreed with jazzeum. It's not art we're seeing here, it's supposed to be authentic military miniatures, and it should be as accurate as possible to the real thing. The wooden Zero looks much better.

I too think K&C planes would look better without the lines. I buy a log of planes from three manufacturers, and the lines have not stopped me from buying a plane (I have 11 from K&C), but if I had a choice between one with and one without I would choose no lines.

Completely agree. The new KC Zero is a real beauty, with correct looking proportions and colors. I know that the KC method of highlighting the panel lines and such is taking a lot of flak from some people and that these lines are not strictly accurate in terms of appearance but I like the way they look. To me this is an artistic choice and I think it works fine. Maybe not for the purists, but for me it is a KC trademark that is their style. This is a fine looking model of what I consider the best looking fighter of WW2. -- Al

"lancer" / Al:

I did not really notice the "excessive" panel lines on this K&C "Zero" fighter airplane model until 2 or more members posted comments about it. Perhaps the critics of the excessive lines on the panel sections have a point. Indeed, K&C's model of a USA made P-40 Flying Tiger set# AF 018 that I obtained just 3 days after the Japanese Navy "Zero" does not seem to have the panel lines highlighted as much as on the "Zero" model. See photos at my posting of photos at the Forum that are still on page one.

But when the K&C model of the "Zero" is viewed normally with the naked eye from 12 to 36 inches away it is not a distracting problem at least for me. Normally K&C's figures and other sets are realistic looking as far as I am concerned.

"Iron Brigade" / Gary

"lancer" / Al:

I did not really notice the "excessive" panel lines on this K&C "Zero" fighter airplane model until 2 or more members posted comments about it. Perhaps the critics of the excessive lines on the panel sections have a point. Indeed, K&C's model of a USA made P-40 Flying Tiger set# AF 018 that I obtained just 3 days after the Japanese Navy "Zero" does not seem to have the panel lines highlighted as much as on the "Zero" model. See photos at my posting of photos at the Forum that are still on page one.

But when the K&C model of the "Zero" is viewed normally with the naked eye from 12 to 36 inches away it is not a distracting problem at least for me. Normally K&C's figures and other sets are realistic looking as far as I am concerned.

"Iron Brigade" / Gary
Gary, I have the KC P-40 Flying Tiger and I think it is a wonderful model. It does have the black panel lines, but they are not really prominent because of the brown/green camo finish. The panel lines do show on the bottom of the P-40, which is finished in a sky-gray. This might be the complaint about the Zero. The overall light gray finish on the Zero will show highlighted panel lines because of the light background. KC likes to add panel lines as definition and perhaps, in the case of the Zero, to break up what might be seen as a rather plain light gray overall finish. At ant rate, I agree that the panel lines are not a distracting problem for me. I rather like the added definition. I'd bet that a Zero finished in later war dark green, with the KC panel lines, would not garner as much bad press simply because the lines just would not be as prominent against the green camo. I like the gray Zero, panel lines and all. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back