John Lesinski's Magnificent Creations: Elephants, Camels, Boats and more! (1 Viewer)

Louis Badolato

Lieutenant General
At the second NY Toy Soldier Symposium, more than five years ago, I got my first glimpse of John Lesinski's magnificent, extremely limited production, toy soldiers in the collection of Mark Hoffman.

John, some sort of Federal Government agent in his day to day life, created works of art the likes of which I have rarely seen equaled: two elephants pulling a naval gun and limber; two more elephants carrying a disassembled Gatling Gun on their backs; a team of camels pulling a field gun and limber; a Zulu War era oxen team pulling a naval gun. The faces on the figures of the Indian Army elephant drivers and their British Officers were the best I had ever seen in the hobby.

I have since learned that Lesinski made Dehli Durbar figures and elephants, in both 54mm matt and 40mm glossy finish (the first Lesinski elephant to make it into my collection, or rather my son Alec's collection, was a 40mm glossy Dehli Durbar elephant, a gift from Doug Luna for my son) as well as boats and even a WWI Train.

With the help of Doug Luna, at the recent Symposium I finally arranged to purchase the two elephants pulling a naval gun and limber and the two elephants carrying a disassembled Gatling Gun on their backs. I have just e-mailed Brad some photographs of these amazing pieces with a polite request that he post them on this thread.

My son has already instructed me to find him the Camel Gun Team and the Naval Gun pulled by the Oxen, so I have my work cut out for me.

Louis,
as we have discussed often they are works of art! When I get home, I will post mine, I have a 4 elephant gun team and a 2 elephant gun team. You are a lucky man with the gatling guns!!!

Tom

Thanks for posting the photos, Brad!:smile2:

Look forward to seeing your elephants, Tom!^&cool^&cool

I will take a couple of shots of my glossy Durbar Elephant tomorrow, and politely impose on Brad to post them for me.^&grin

I just sent Brad 3 photos of my son's smaller scale (40mm) glossy Durbar Elephant, with a polite request that he post them on this thread.:smile2:

Congrats on these fine acquisitions my friend. Alex sure looks happy :wink2:

Thanks, Chris! :smile2: Alec sure loves his elephants! He now has 11 elephants in his personal collection (5 Lesinski, 2 Four Feathers, 2 Timpo, one K&C and one of unknown origin).

Pleasure. He's a lucky young man.

Your daughter will soon be asking for equal time :eek:

Pleasure. He's a lucky young man.

Your daughter will soon be asking for equal time :eek:

She always gets equal time. I am having a custom dollhouse of our house made for her by the Kellogg family, the best dollhouse makers in New York State.

She always gets equal time. I am having a custom dollhouse of our house made for her by the Kellogg family, the best dollhouse makers in New York State.

Any chance you can adopt me? :D.

I'll even change my name. Bradford Adam Lewin Badolato, BALB for short. Now, that's one that really rolls of the lips!

Hi Louis,

My compliments. Your elephants and your son's Durbar elephants are exquisite! Thank you so much for sharing them with us and thank you, Brad, for posting Louis' photos for all of us to enjoy.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :smile2:

Thanks, Chris! :smile2: Alec sure loves his elephants! He now has 11 elephants in his personal collection (5 Lesinski, 2 Four Feathers, 2 Timpo, one K&C and one of unknown origin).

Louis

It is quite exciting to see your son developing his collection. You really should add some Hocker elephants as well. Maybe Bill would donate one for the museum. You should put him at the top of your speaker list for the 2012 Symposium.

Attachments

• 073.gif
    073.gif
    28.6 KB · Views: 364
Louis

It is quite exciting to see your son developing his collection. You really should add some Hocker elephants as well. Maybe Bill would donate one for the museum. You should put him at the top of your speaker list for the 2012 Symposium.

If you are friendly with Bill, please tell him we would love for him to be a speaker at next year's Sympsoium. I have his Highland Games set on display, and if he would come, I would order his Elephant-Tiger Hunt set for my son.

If you are friendly with Bill, please tell him we would love for him to be a speaker at next year's Sympsoium. I have his Highland Games set on display, and if he would come, I would order his Elephant-Tiger Hunt set for my son.

Louis

I will definitely contact Bill for you. This would be a real treat for your symposium.

Louis

I will definitely contact Bill for you. This would be a real treat for your symposium.

I've seen John's elephants at a variety of shows over the years. But I have to respectfully disagree the statement that these are the best of the best. Somerset's elephants own that title for not only sculpting (the animation level is higher) but also for painting. Here's the link for comparison:http://somersetltd.com/fftransport.html

I've seen John's elephants at a variety of shows over the years. But I have to respectfully disagree the statement that these are the best of the best. Somerset's elephants own that title for not only sculpting (the animation level is higher) but also for painting. Here's the link for comparison:http://somersetltd.com/fftransport.html

I love Somerset's elephants, and can certainly see your point. I have been lucky to count Ron Leh, the owner of Somerset, as a friend for several years. But when I think Somerset, I think camels more than I think elephants. I think that both Somerset and Lesinski elephants are works of art, and frankly, I have seen Durbar elephants from Beau Geste and Marlborough which are also works of art. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these manufacturers - their works are all magnificent.

I got a call Saturday afternoon from the man himself, John Lesinski. He is a real gentleman, and appreciated my kind comments about his products. During the conversation, I found that he is friends with both Ron Leh of Sommerset, and Bill Hocker.

I told him about the Symposium, and we discussed the possibility of he, Ron Leh, and Bill Hocker all attending together one year. I thought this would be great, as John, Ron and Bill are all examples of different approaches to cottage manufacturing of Toy Soldiers in the United States. I will keep in touch with John, and try to reach out to Ron, and see if he would be interested as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back