K&C Civil War Artillery (1 Viewer)

GulfportEagle77

Private 2
Just started collecting K&C Civil War Models.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to if they were thinking of making any of the artillery pieces anytime soon?

Thanks!

I asked Andy about that a few months ago and he said that was a possibility. I think I posted that somewhere but don't remember exactly where.

Sorry, don't think he mentioned anything like that other than to say a Lincoln figure was a possibility someday.

Darn i have been wishing for these same two things... Especially the generals part they dont have any however, they have just about all if not all for the Confeds...

Darn i have been wishing for these same two things... Especially the generals part they dont have any however, they have just about all if not all for the Confeds...

.......Confederates sell! We had more personality.....more cause.....just not enough men:):D

.......Confederates sell! We had more personality.....more cause.....just not enough men:):D

I agree that Confederates sell, they had more personality when it came to Generals (certainly not leaders) and definitely not enough men. As far as cause, I don't think we want to open that can of worms. The Civil War is over; let's keep it that way.

I object to the phrase "bad guys" when applied to fellow Americans and honored ancestors. Perhaps "those of differing outlooks" would be more appropriate. -- lancer

Interesting remark Kurt. Especially coming from someone with the avatar of George S.Patton III. His Grandfather George S. Patton was Colonel of the 22nd Va. Inf. in the Confederate army. He gave his life for the cause. He recieved a mortal wound in the leg at Winchester in Sept of 1864. His Great Uncle, Walter Tazwell Patton(Colonel Patton's brother) was Colonel of the 7th Va. Inf and recieved his mortal wound at Picketts Charge from artillery fire to the head. They both rest honorably in the same grave at Stonewall Cemetery in Winchester Virginia. I'll bet General Patton didnt think his Grandad and Great Uncle were "Bad Guys".

I agree that Confederates sell, they had more personality when it came to Generals (certainly not leaders) and definitely not enough men. As far as cause, I don't think we want to open that can of worms. The Civil War is over; let's keep it that way.

Brad,
that's cuz you live north of the line...........

Seriously, had relatives on both sides who fought bravely, forget the bs issues usually inappropriately applied to the conflict, this was an industrial vs agricultural battle that should have never happened in the first place.

We can debate the leaders point as both sides had some of the best (Stonewall Jackson, Bedford Forrest, Patrick Cleburne) and some of the worst (Braxton Bragg, General Pickett (charge was not his fault, but he was still inept), Joe Johnston). I would say the number of men was the biggest issue at times, even the most inept Northern General looked like a wizard due to sheer number of men, lot easier to fight that way!:D

On another note, it amazes me the ill guided disdain I see from some of my yankee friends regarding the Deep South, it is truly amazing. I invite anyone who has these feelings to spend a week in Mississippi, I guarantee you will come home relaxed and smiling.

Times have changed, fortunately most look at the conflict as a time in history, study it and move on, unfortunately there are still those on all sides who can't get over it. Look at the current debate on changing the name of Bedford Forrest school. I watched the debate and nobody on either side had their facts correct, sad state of affairs.

Political correctness has killed this subject and most history in our schools today, it is ridiculous what is in the curriculum, one could say they have rewritten history on this war as well as others. I for one am in the camp that you factually teach the subject for what it is, no matter how gruesome, it is time people in our world learn to face the realities of the past in order not to repeat them. I don't want to know about the social history of a war, I want to know the facts and the political climate as that seemed to dictate the outcome.

Off the box.

TD

Tom,

Over several years here, I've learned that some issues can't be debated dispassionately and I don't mean you because I think you, Louis and others had some good conversation at the bar on the Thursday of the Show. Basically, minds just aren't going to be changed and since people here can't do it over a beer or two :), why bother since things can get a little out of control, if you know what I mean.

I wasn't debating you about military leaders but political leaders but maybe we wouldn't agree there also :)

I'd like to recommend a book you and others might find interesting that I'm currently reading: The Impending Crisis 1848-1861 by David Potter. It shows the collision course the US was on that basically exploded with the Wilmot Proviso.

I look at this as history, fascinating history, that I'm rediscovering after many years. It's funny that it's taken one of Her Majesty's subjects, Mr. UK Reb, to get me excited once again :):eek: However, it is history and, as you say, we should teach the facts of what happened and the social/political/economic underpinnings that led to the Civil War

BTW, I did live in the South for a year and a half, down in Tennessee :)

Off the box as well.

You cannot put today's thoughts and feelings on yesterday's people.Most southerners fought for The honor of their state and their way of life and they felt very strongly that the north was trying to dominate and intimidate them.As far as their army I think everybody should admire their courage and fortitude.I wonder how people 150 years from now will judge us.
Mark

You cannot put today's thoughts and feelings on yesterday's people.Most southerners fought for The honor of their state and their way of life and they felt very strongly that the north was trying to dominate and intimidate them.As far as their army I think everybody should admire their courage and fortitude.I wonder how people 150 years from now will judge us.Mark

That doesn't bear thinking about :eek:

Well, my great great grandfathers fought for NC at places like the Wilderness, Fredericksburg, and Antietam. I am not sure they would appreciate my own views on the war, but then I am not sure why they fought. I think the Civil War is oversimplified by a lot of people. Yes, political correctness does have a negative affect on the study of history, and it also has led historians to look at the war from angles not approached before (the positive side of political correctness). Now we know some Southerners did indeed fight because of race and slavery, but that was only some of them. They fought for a whole lot of reasons, just as it is true many Northern soldiers thought the issue of slavery wasn't worth fighting about. It is a complicated subject, and that is what makes it so fascinating. I think what I learned in grad school more than anything else is that history is not really a bunch of facts but is virtually always something to be interpreted.

Anyway, I hope K&C does make some artillery - can't have too much of that!! That is a fact, right?

To get back to the point of the thread, I will email Andy tonight and see if I can report any info.

Tom,

Over several years here, I've learned that some issues can't be debated dispassionately and I don't mean you because I think you, Louis and others had some good conversation at the bar on the Thursday of the Show. Basically, minds just aren't going to be changed and since people here can't do it over a beer or two :), why bother since things can get a little out of control, if you know what I mean.

I wasn't debating you about military leaders but political leaders but maybe we wouldn't agree there also :)

I'd like to recommend a book you and others might find interesting that I'm currently reading: The Impending Crisis 1848-1861 by David Potter. It shows the collision course the US was on that basically exploded with the Wilmot Proviso.

I look at this as history, fascinating history, that I'm rediscovering after many years. It's funny that it's taken one of Her Majesty's subjects, Mr. UK Reb, to get me excited once again :):eek: However, it is history and, as you say, we should teach the facts of what happened and the social/political/economic underpinnings that led to the Civil War

BTW, I did live in the South for a year and a half, down in Tennessee :)

Off the box as well.

Brad, good points and I will look for the book. By the way, I really wasn't trying to rib you with my post, they were more random thoughts than anything else. It is a passionate subject that is still fascinating. The only time I get real irritated is when the "history challenged" folks try to debate facts that they can't get straight. That is the "bad" side of political correctness, when anyone sympathizes with the South for whatever reason, the uneducated instantaneously label you as a bigot. Anyhow, this is healthy debate all the way around. PS. I still think Pickett was an inept General even if he only followed orders......

One other thing, as for the "leaders"(political), I didn't like either of them or most of their cronies, seems like that particular opinion is constant throughout time!!!!!!!!!:D:D

I agree about Pickett (at least Longstreet put up somewhat of a fight about making the charge) and Bragg.

I didn't realize until recently that Bragg was a personal friend of Jefferson Davis, and that is what probably kept him in command as long as it did.

Looking forward to hearing about the Artillery now...

I heard from Andy. All he would say is that in 2009 we will see a lot of American Civil War with the focus being on cavalry and artillery, and some surprises thrown in.

I think that will be something to look forward to in the new year.

Guys,

I just wanted to take the opportunity to say that it's a real pleasure to read such intelligent and well articulated comments without anyone reverting to the usual Southern/Yankee slagging off match.

Heaven forbid that I should unintentionally bring down the wrath of Brad upon my comments but this thread is most definitely different from any other I have read on the subject of the War between the States since I've been a member of this forum. As a Brit who has spent a life-time being fascinated with this conflict I have deliberately avoided, where I can, the thorny issues that are always resurrected when disussing the ACW. Instead I have quietly stayed at the bottom of the forum attempting to depict-hopefully- a fair and balanced view of the war from both sides in diorama form using my collection of figures. Subsequently, any addition to K&C Civil war figures is absolutely tops in my book.

I would also like to add a couple of comments to those already posted if I may; firstly I agree with Tom re Pickett, he was an inept commander who was finally relieved of his command after his performance debacle at Five Forks in April '65. His place in history is perfectly summed up by an incident that took place in the Ballard Hotel in Richmond 1870 where Pickett and Mosby unexpectedly met General Lee. The meeting was somewhat frosty and after bidding their farewells Pickett said to Mosby
"That old man had my Division slaughtered at Gettysburg"
To which Mosby retorted
"Well George it did make you immortal"

And a final comment to this excellent thread (although I posted this some months ago on the Historical category) are two of the best quotes I have ever read which summed up the conflict from both sides. The first was from Lee whilst addressing the remnants of his army before riding to surrender to Grant
"We had and I am satisfied, sacred principles to maintain and rights to defend for which we were in duty to do our best even if we perished in the endeavour"
And Grant wrote in his diary that same night
"I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the downfall of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and who suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse"

Great thread guys and thanks for posting
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back