K&C Jagdtiger? (5 Viewers)

On the question of the Zimmerit, the photos I have seen seem to show the paste only extending part way up the superstructure. I believe that the paste probably only extended a little further that a man could extend his hands upward at maximum. Was this part coverage standard practice or just hit or miss application? (how's that for a rivet counting question?)-- lancer

Fairly standard. Many of the big AFV's had zimmerit covering only part way up the sides. In an OKH order dated 1943-12-29, Zimmerit was to be applied on the Pz.Kpfw. III, Pz.Kpfw. IV, Pz.Kpfw. Panther, Pz.Kpfw. Tiger, Sturmgeschütze , Panzerjäger 38t and Panzerjäger Hornisse to all surfaces of the hull and superstructure, including surfaces under the armour skirts. Zimmerit should not be applied to armour skirts, turret, external engine parts, lamps, tools, tracks and similar places.

However it often was applied to turrets and sometimes on armour skirts and right to the top of the turret/gun compartment.

Several other AFVs also had zimmerit applied - Sturmpanzer, Wirbelwind, Jagdpanther, Bergepanther, Elefant, Jagdtiger (Porsche only) and a few others. Open top AFVs generally did not have zimmerit.

Terry

On the question of the Zimmerit, the photos I have seen seem to show the paste only extending part way up the superstructure. I believe that the paste probably only extended a little further that a man could extend his hands upward at maximum. Was this part coverage standard practice or just hit or miss application? (how's that for a rivet counting question?)-- lancer

PS: You can't count the rivets if they are covered with zimmerit :p:D:D

Terry

Fairly standard. Many of the big AFV's had zimmerit covering only part way up the sides. In an OKH order dated 1943-12-29, Zimmerit was to be applied on the Pz.Kpfw. III, Pz.Kpfw. IV, Pz.Kpfw. Panther, Pz.Kpfw. Tiger, Sturmgeschütze , Panzerjäger 38t and Panzerjäger Hornisse to all surfaces of the hull and superstructure, including surfaces under the armour skirts. Zimmerit should not be applied to armour skirts, turret, external engine parts, lamps, tools, tracks and similar places.

However it often was applied to turrets and sometimes on armour skirts and right to the top of the turret/gun compartment.

Several other AFVs also had zimmerit applied - Sturmpanzer, Wirbelwind, Jagdpanther, Bergepanther, Elefant, Jagdtiger (Porsche only) and a few others. Open top AFVs generally did not have zimmerit.

Terry
Thanks Terry. So a Henschel JT would not have the Zimmerit, correct? Whom ever decides to make the JT should keep this fact in mind.:D -- Al

Thanks Terry. So a Henschel JT would not have the Zimmerit, correct? Whom ever decides to make the JT should keep this fact in mind.:D -- Al

Yes. They stopped producing the Porshe Jagdtiger and started producing the Henschel Jagdtiger in September 1944, the same month the OKW ordered no zimmerit to be put on AFVs due to a perceived fire problem when hit. That could mean that the last few Porsche Jagdtigers did not have zimmerit, or the first few Henschel Jagdtiers did have zimmerit.

Terry

The Jagdtiger at the Bovington Tank museum numbered 305004,is the Porsche variant,being an early example it has Zimmerit to a height of 2 metres on the superstructure.

The massive weight of this vehicle caused many mechanical failures and breakdowns,but for all its problems it is an impressive vehicle and I think K&C could make a fine job of this.

Rob

The Jagdtiger at the Bovington Tank museum numbered 305004,is the Porsche variant,being an early example it has Zimmerit to a height of 2 metres on the superstructure.

The massive weight of this vehicle caused many mechanical failures and breakdowns,but for all its problems it is an impressive vehicle and I think K&C could make a fine job of this.

Rob

Jagdtiger 305004 was one of the first 3 production Jagdtigers and was produced in July 1944.

terry

Yep!!!! I would certainly buy one...pref the henchel version with zimmerit and a nice dark ambush camo scheme..(like the early panther from kc) and maybe with the crew with just the heads out of the hatches as if riding into combat, or even choice of a second crew tending the vehicle/scanning the sky for the feared
jabberwockys!!! ( dont panic andy this set coulb be used with any of your excellent axis armour).

Steve.

Yep!!!! I would certainly buy one...pref the henchel version with zimmerit and a nice dark ambush camo scheme..(like the early panther from kc) and maybe with the crew with just the heads out of the hatches as if riding into combat, or even choice of a second crew tending the vehicle/scanning the sky for the feared
jabberwockys!!! ( dont panic andy this set coulb be used with any of your excellent axis armour).

Steve.

Actually I wouldn't mind if this came with no crew but was battened down for action:cool:.

Rob

To truly appreciate the size of a Jagdtiger,when you model one ,you must have at minimum 1 figure to accompany the vehicle to give scale and depth,when you stand next to the real thing and visualise the size of this Behemouth,you almost "Gulp" .I recently discovered an old photo taken of myself next to a King Tiger at Bovington and the king tiger looks massive,being 5 ft 7 ins i represent the average height of tankmen all over the world ,no wonder the crews of these machines felt indestructible when they were in action.K&C may one day decide to model a Jagdtiger, if they do people will still be critical for some reason or another.

great photo rob ,what a monster it must have been in 1944,would have been great to see someone stand next to it to give it some scale.

great photo rob ,what a monster it must have been in 1944,would have been great to see someone stand next to it to give it some scale.

Yes it would help wouldn't it!.

The Zimmerite is patchy on this Jagdtiger.For the technically minded Zimmerit is made up of ; Barium sulfate,Polyvinyl acetate,Ochre pigment,Zinc sulfide and sawdust.Factory application ceased on 9th September 1944 and field application on 7th October 1944.There was a mistaken belief that a projectile could cause Zimmerit to burn,although this was not the case the order banning Zimmerit was not reversed.Also Zimmerit took several days to dry properly and towards the end of the War Germany could not afford the luxury of waiting this long for their vehicles.

Many of Germanys most famous AFV's had factory applied Zimmerit,including later Tiger I's and early Tiger II's.Early production Jagdpanthers were also 'Zimmered' in the factories,a good example of this is the IWM Jagd.On this vehicle it is much more smooth and 'muted' as it were,where as on others it stands out a lot more.

Rob

Last edited:
It looks like a pillbox on tracks! Must have been a scary sight in action.

Thats actually what frequently happened.When one of these Monsters broke down as they did often,you had a massive pillbox that wasn't going anywhere.And as we know a few Shermans around the side of you and you were in trouble.

Rob

I wargame with my collection, and there is very little opportunity to use such a beast. I would prefer a Pz IV in a Normandy paint scheme.

I wargame with my collection, and there is very little opportunity to use such a beast. I would prefer a Pz IV in a Normandy paint scheme.

Yes that would be cool too.But the thing with the Jagdtiger is that its a rarely made AFV and I think it would appeal.

Rob

It looks like a pillbox on tracks! Must have been a scary sight in action.

The most common WW2 vintage photos of JagdTigers are of Alied troops crawling over them after they broke down and became immobile pillboxes :)

Gary B.

The most common WW2 vintage photos of JagdTigers are of Alied troops crawling over them after they broke down and became immobile pillboxes :)

Gary B.

Yes theres loads of these pics arn't there,seems as many broke down as were knocked out.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back