Kurt Welter ME262 Fighter Ace Competition (1 Viewer)

wayne556517

Lieutenant General
I am very pleased to be able to release the clay shots of our Kurt Welter figure that will be available with the wooden ME262 night-fighter in July. This will also be available as a Club figure and will be limited to the normal production run of 100 figures. Its going to be called 'Hoax Call' as some of the more eagle eyed of you will have noticed Kurt Welter is smiling as he phones 'Adolf for a one to one' on the current war time situation. Of course its a conversation that never took place because the phone is not actually wired up and mobile phones as we know, did not exist in 1945! As Welter came through the ranks we figured he would have been more comfortable in gaiters than the more traditional high boots officers generally wore.

Unfortunately the photographer omitted to include photos of the puppy dog included with this set (well you know we love our dogs here at TGM!) and we had a brainstorm here at the office for dogs names, so far we have the following two as clear favourites:

1. Messerschmitt

2. Walter (refers to recent events!)

Can anybody come up with anything better? If they can and we choose it then the winner will get a free sample of Kurt with his dog. Sadly the ME262 is not included in the competition prize, before anybody asks!

Best Wishes Vicki Lucas

Marketing Manager TGM

DSC_2973.jpg

DSC_2974.jpg

DSC_2977.jpg

DSC_2976.jpg

DSC_2975.jpg

Hallo, mit Hitler? Kurt Welter hier, Ich rufe sie an um sie zu sagen das ich mein neue puppy "Adolf" genant habe
Hello, with Hitler ? I call you to tell you that my new puppy's name is "Adolf"
guy{sm4}

My mate at work call his German Shepard Rommel which is a great name for a dog:wink2:

I had a mittel spitz once named Schnapps.

Great dog, BTW.

-Moe

Wouldn't Frederick or Siegfried be correct for a German hund? There is also the option of the famous Moritz, the name of the Baron Manfred von Richthofen's own dog. Can't get a much better pedigree than that. -- Al

i propose FENRIR, a wolf son of loki in scandinavian mythology.

or winston if he had sense of humour...

How about "flughunde", flying fox, as a reference to Welter's night fighting skills.

We need some dog stories; I'll start!:wink2:

About a decade ago, I had a conversation with a very old member of the WW2-era, 8th Air Force. I was on a business-related visit to his home, and he was nice enough to show me some mementos associated with his years in the USAAF. During the exhibition, I noticed several photographs of Doug with an adult dog, most likely a boxer or boxer-mix. I asked him about his K-9 companion, and he explained that Rex was an indulgence of a sort. Having personal pets on base was against regulations. However, he was the squadron XO and was "thirty-something" missions into his second tour in Europe. If he wanted a dog, he was by-God gonna have a dog. The whole exercise required a modicum of discretion, but nothing that was beyond doable.

Doug then went on to explain that the boxer really became a substitute for relationships with people. He characterized himself as having "almost come apart" over the loss of so many crewmen and squadron-mates during his first tour. Further, he detailed his relations with women as being largely carnal in nature. He didn't want to leave a widow behind, and neither was he willing to risk the possibility of being jilted, of getting the "Dear John" treatment. He even distanced himself emotionally from his family, sending a post-card home on the last day of every month, rather than responding to letters from his mother or siblings. He had a job to do, and he had to stay focused on that. He had to keep things simple. Rex was always there for him when he returned to base from a mission, and Doug had made arrangements for his "buddy" to be cared for by an English family if he didn't make it back one afternoon.

After the German surrender, Doug sneaked Rex onto a ferry flight back to the states. He then joined a B-29 squadron training in Texas, but lived off base with the dog because there were no officer's quarters available that summer. Just before he was supposed to ship out to the Marianas, Hiroshima and Nagasaki resolved hostilities in Doug's and Rex' favor. He eventually married and started a family, but not until after the dog had passed on in 1953. He also never set foot on an aircraft again, having committed himself to the slow and steady of terra firma. I have no way of knowing how common Doug's approach to dealing with loss and/or mortality was at the time. However, I did take something away from the conversation. For all the talk that we hear of brotherhood and camaraderie in the military, war can still be a remorselessly sad and lonesome business. As Doug Frank put it, "It's a lucky man who has a dog to help him through it all."

-Moe

How about "Kilroy"
The expression "Kilroy was here" was used frequently by US troops and painted on walls and houses by the US soldiers numerous times . The German "Abwehr" (intelligence service)thought that Kilroy really existed and that he was a US spy. Hitler thought Kilroy was sent to the occupied territories only for one purpose: To kill the Führer. The number of Hitler's guards was increased as a result.
guy:)

I've have two Schnauzers named STUKA and ROMMEL. Two good German names. :salute::{sm4}

Name for a small dog... how about "Jumo" after the name of the Me-262's engine? Jumo is short for Junkers Motorenbau. Alternatively, there's always good old "Spitz".

Manfred would be a good traditional name with some Luftwaffe ties....
Ray

About 10 years ago I lived with a girlfriend who had the smallest Boston Terrier I had ever seen. This dog, even when full grown looked like a puppy. The dog's name was simply "Little Dog"................

Dear All
We received lots of replies to the recent Kurt Welter competition and some were very well thought through I must say! 'Willi' was the most nominated name after Willi Messerschmitt but we also had some excellent other names like 'Jumo' and 'Mosquito' both of which have links to Kurt Welter.
However it was decided that 'Schnapps' by Ivanmoe on the forum here was probably the most suitable name for our small dog, the dog by the way is a German Schnauzer in case you were wondering.
So well done to Ivanmoe this time, please email in your address details and we will send you in a Kurt Welter figurine set when he is released, which is hopefully this month!!
Thanks to all of you who entered and another competition soon so don't give up, still plenty of chances to win something in the future.
Best wishes
Vicki Lucas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back