Lefty Drisell (1 Viewer)

Terp152

Major
Lefty dies at age 92. I arrived at Maryland during Lefty' s second yr. He never took MD to a FInal Four but did win the NIT when it mattered. Great recruiter but didn't translate onto the court. RIP and thanks for the memories.

Lefty dies at age 92. I arrived at Maryland during Lefty' s second yr. He never took MD to a FInal Four but did win the NIT when it mattered. Great recruiter but didn't translate onto the court. RIP and thanks for the memories.
Many great memories of the Lefthander's teams. They lost some absolute heartbreakers, including the Super Bowl Sunday loss to NC State in OT, which remains one of the best BBall games ever played. Had Tommy McMillan in a couple of my history classes. -- Al

He was quite a character. I remember his MD teams fondly from that era. A great time for college basketball before it was ruined by one and done and NCAA money. Some teams played the old four corners before the shot clock. The score might be 10-8 at halftime. UNC had that scoreboard on the court where some student flipped it by hand.

Grew up on Lefty, loved the guy. Len Bias's poor choices unfortunately haunted and hounded him IMO undeservingly. He was expected to control the uncontrollable.

TD

Grew up on Lefty, loved the guy. Len Bias's poor choices unfortunately haunted and hounded him IMO undeservingly. He was expected to control the uncontrollable.

TD

Tom, Drisell said cocaine was a performance enhancer, and this was after Bias's death. That was the reason for his termination.

Tom, Drisell said cocaine was a performance enhancer, and this was after Bias's death. That was the reason for his termination.

I know, he said a lot of odd things! Len Bias started a lot of downfall for the Terps both in Basketball, but the fall out was massive. Also one of the reasons Ross left the football program.

Tom

I do not want to hijack this thread but characters like Drisell make me wonder why college baseball does not got more coverage?

I know, he said a lot of odd things! Len Bias started a lot of downfall for the Terps both in Basketball, but the fall out was massive. Also one of the reasons Ross left the football program.

Tom

I was long gone from UM by then but remember Bobby Ross also leaving due to the negative atmosphere in the athletic dept.

I was long gone from UM by then but remember Bobby Ross also leaving due to the negative atmosphere in the athletic dept.

The Bias tragedy had a lot of fall out. Greg Williams (who was a personal family friend) the then Def Coordinator shared a story with me when I was in college and working for him on the football team. Apparently, prior to the Bias tragedy, revenue sports teams had exceptions to admissions. They could get marginally academic players admitted on a waiver (i think between 5-10 per semester). As the story went, Ross on the recruiting trail, had 3 Defensive Ends he was competing with NC ST, VA and UNC. Maryland admissions/athletic due to alll the unwanted scutiny in the wake of the tragedy denied the admission waiver and we lost the recruits. Ironically, 2 went to UVA, one to NC St. All 3 played decent careers in the pros (I forgot their names). Ross felt that he was going to be handicapped in recruiting for the next 5 years, he walked away from his contract that next season and as they say the rest is history. MD went from a rising power to a doormat by the mid to late 90s. When I was there, I would argue that we didn't have a pro potential recruit from 91 on for a long time. It really changed MD football for a long period of time. Ironically, Ralph F (A Ross protege and colleague) brought them back. Then even more ironically, that idiot AD Debbie Yow fired him after he was named again ACC Coach of the Year. You just can't make up the missteps at that School. Now you know why, I have all but abandoned any support to them. The move to the Big 10 was my icing on the cake. Done and over.
TD

The Bias tragedy had a lot of fall out. Greg Williams (who was a personal family friend) the then Def Coordinator shared a story with me when I was in college and working for him on the football team. Apparently, prior to the Bias tragedy, revenue sports teams had exceptions to admissions. They could get marginally academic players admitted on a waiver (i think between 5-10 per semester). As the story went, Ross on the recruiting trail, had 3 Defensive Ends he was competing with NC ST, VA and UNC. Maryland admissions/athletic due to alll the unwanted scutiny in the wake of the tragedy denied the admission waiver and we lost the recruits. Ironically, 2 went to UVA, one to NC St. All 3 played decent careers in the pros (I forgot their names). Ross felt that he was going to be handicapped in recruiting for the next 5 years, he walked away from his contract that next season and as they say the rest is history. MD went from a rising power to a doormat by the mid to late 90s. When I was there, I would argue that we didn't have a pro potential recruit from 91 on for a long time. It really changed MD football for a long period of time. Ironically, Ralph F (A Ross protege and colleague) brought them back. Then even more ironically, that idiot AD Debbie Yow fired him after he was named again ACC Coach of the Year. You just can't make up the missteps at that School. Now you know why, I have all but abandoned any support to them. The move to the Big 10 was my icing on the cake. Done and over.
TD

Debbie Yow was a one woman wrecking ball while at UM athletics.

The move to the Big 10 was my icing on the cake. Done and over.
TD.

That was it for me, I do my best to follow the Terps but the move to the Big 10 really took the wind out of my Sails as I was a huge follower of Maryland college sports, after that I just became a casual watcher ...I miss those days of the original ACC teams, now there's a 100 ACC teams 🙄🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back