Life of Jesus (1 Viewer)

I'm really impressed..Andy is always unforeseeable..we in Italy usually do the "Presepe" (Christmas Tree too)to celebrate Christmas, i don't know if you have it in your countries.This Presepe is a kind of diorama of the nativity without the Baby (added on 25th Dec.) and the Kings (added the 6th of january) so for me it's a strange range (kind of deja-vu) :)reminds me of something i see every year (by the way i must admit that many statues for the Presepe here in Italy are clothed in medieval dress ad not in Middle eastern garb)..we have a street in Naples in which there are only shops thar sell figures for this Presepe and every year there are a batch of new charachters to add.I presume this year we 'll have President Obama too on the "Presepe"!

Yo Troopers, first off I was brought up a Roman Catholic, and live in a Country that is still 90% Roman Catholics. But can see this one opening a massive can of worms. Can just make out some of the words on the leaflet.
" TO FORM A REALISTIC AND HISTORICALLY ACCURATE SCENE"

Man that is one big STATEMENT the Theologians would have a field day with.
But we are not allowed to discuss Religion for obvious reasons.

Jesus was born in a stable we are told, there was no room at the Inn, so the inn keeper let Mary and Joseph stay in the Stable, which I was always led to believe was a wooden Stable, and any Stable would have a door, hence the saying "Its no good closing the Stable Door after the Horse has bolted"
So sorry John I don't think its a clever Dio Building.
Going to put a bet on with William Hill today that this thread gets more deletions than any other:rolleyes:. Think the moderators better go and get some big erasers;).
Bernard.

I can see some problems with this series. Are those camels equipped with the the accessories as they were sold by the camel dealer ?. Which dealer was it ? If they are the camels of the three kings then I guess they are imported camels. Are they manuals or automatics ? Does anybody have a reference book on camels ?
Regarding the stables I don't think they are traditional to Bethlehem but a village 2km down the road and five years later. As for the clothes my copy of the Bethlehem Wal Mart catalogue at that time does not show any such clothing.
No doubt others will have the relevant reference material !
Regards to all,
Brett

The Life of Jesus.

Beautiful Diorama of the Nativity Scene.

One for Christmas.

Yo Troopers, first off I was brought up a Roman Catholic, and live in a Country that is still 90% Roman Catholics. But can see this one opening a massive can of worms. Can just make out some of the words on the leaflet.
" TO FORM A REALISTIC AND HISTORICALLY ACCURATE SCENE"

Man that is one big STATEMENT the Theologians would have a field day with.
But we are not allowed to discuss Religion for obvious reasons.

Jesus was born in a stable we are told, there was no room at the Inn, so the inn keeper let Mary and Joseph stay in the Stable, which I was always led to believe was a wooden Stable, and any Stable would have a door, hence the saying "Its no good closing the Stable Door after the Horse has bolted"
Going to put a bet on with William Hill today that this thread gets more deletions than any other:rolleyes:. Think the moderators better go and get some big erasers;).
Bernard.
I would take your bet Bernard; there are about as many versions of the Nativity Scene already as there are Priests so a little variety would seem tolerable to the faithful; particularly since there were no photographs and historical accounts are less than perfect.;)

[Jesus was born in a stable we are told, there was no room at the Inn, so the inn keeper let Mary and Joseph stay in the Stable, which I was always led to believe was a wooden Stable, and any Stable would have a door, hence the saying "Its no good closing the Stable Door after the Horse has bolted"
[/QUOTE]

Having been to that part of the world a few times, I would say that the stable was most likely built of stone and clay. Trees are not that plentiful in that part of the Middle East.

Semper Fi!
Rick

I'll wait for the Life of Brian series ;)

Especially figures of John Cleese as the centurion, catching Brian writing "Romans go home!" Brilliant mix of the bobby and schoolmaster character.

"Wot's this? 'People called the Romans, they go, the 'ouse?' Conjugate 'Romanus'!"

Especially figures of John Cleese as the centurion, catching Brian writing "Romans go home!" Brilliant mix of the bobby and schoolmaster character.

"Wot's this? 'People called the Romans, they go, the 'ouse?' Conjugate 'Romanus'!"

''So what is ee then???
''Eh,what...Oh,er..Capricorn....:D

:D Zulu and the Life of Brian.......I'm Home.....:D

Geoff.

[Jesus was born in a stable we are told, there was no room at the Inn, so the inn keeper let Mary and Joseph stay in the Stable, which I was always led to believe was a wooden Stable, and any Stable would have a door, hence the saying "Its no good closing the Stable Door after the Horse has bolted"

Having been to that part of the world a few times, I would say that the stable was most likely built of stone and clay. Trees are not that plentiful in that part of the Middle East.

Semper Fi!
Rick[/QUOTE]

For once, I get to be a resident expert....:)

The account of Jesus' birth that gives us that nativity scene is from Luke 2:

So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn

Technically there is no mention of a stable or any structure, just a manger. Of course, manger implies animals.

From what I have read over the years, there are several possibilities. Many of the homes in those days had a place for animals, so it's possible that the birth took place in that portion of someone's home. The more likely possibility is a cave, which often served as a stable for animals.

Many of the stables in nativity scenes are drawn much more from Western understandings of stables than any concept of the Middle East. There's a tendancy to depict Jesus in our own culture (which is why many Scandenavians depict Jesus with blonde hair and blue eyes - not many Jews that I know have that!).

As you can imagine, I'm a wee bit excited about this release. I think I may know a few people I work with who may be interested!!

Semper Fi!
Rick

For once, I get to be a resident expert....:)

The account of Jesus' birth that gives us that nativity scene is from Luke 2:

So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn

Technically there is no mention of a stable or any structure, just a manger. Of course, manger implies animals.

From what I have read over the years, there are several possibilities. Many of the homes in those days had a place for animals, so it's possible that the birth took place in that portion of someone's home. The more likely possibility is a cave, which often served as a stable for animals.

Many of the stables in nativity scenes are drawn much more from Western understandings of stables than any concept of the Middle East. There's a tendancy to depict Jesus in our own culture (which is why many Scandenavians depict Jesus with blonde hair and blue eyes - not many Jews that I know have that!).

As you can imagine, I'm a wee bit excited about this release. I think I may know a few people I work with who may be interested!![/QUOTE]

Amen!

Hi
Some great comments - I like this idea, it has plenty of possibilities. And seeing as everyone is already in th the Christmas spirit - How about Andy re-releasing his Dickens series - I would love to get my hands on that set !!!
:D

LOL - I did wonder if K & C would bring out a large stone building with red graffiti all over it :D

"PRETTY COOL !"

That was the comment from my 20 yo, church going, daughter, when i showed her the Life of Jesus images just now.

Maybe if they are exposed the Bible belt in the USA they could be selling like Chistamas Cakes :)

John

Have not seen it for a while but I think Ben Hur is around the right period so the shock and awe item for this period could be the chariot race with stadium !

This a great line. I usually make a Nativity scene with my goddaughter for Christmas using figures from Schleich. I will definitely buy this line for her this Christmas, and with the addition of the village buildings we are going to have a great time putting together the scene.

And I am thinking that the animals and some of the figures can even be used for Afrika Korps dioramas. The clothing of the Lybian desert people in the 1940's had not changed that much from that of ancient times.

Really excited about this one!

This a great line. I usually make a Nativity scene with my goddaughter for Christmas using figures from Schleich. I will definitely buy this line for her this Christmas, and with the addition of the village buildings we are going to have a great time putting together the scene.

And I am thinking that the animals and some of the figures can even be used for Afrika Korps dioramas. The clothing of the Lybian desert people in the 1940's had not changed that much from that of ancient times.

Really excited about this one!

That's what I will do. At home in Germany we used to set up a Nativity Scene every Christmas, figures, stable and animals were actually made by my grandfather, but since I moved to the U.S. in 1995 I never set up one again, since I did not find any that I liked.
So, I will get this series and start the habit again, especially since a lot of those figures and the animals will be usable for many other setups through the year.
I love it.
Konrad

Konrad,
With so much being made these days it's almost impossible to cut back isn't it?:D:D:D
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back