London Toy Soldier Show Pictures June 2018 (3 Viewers)

I have to say that you had a splendid idea!
By loading the pics to Flickr not only is easier than here at the forum, less time consuming and you do not need to resize them....But the quality of the pics is just fantastically better...you can actually see them big!!
Thanks Gazza for posting the pics...
Cheers
Luiz

Cheers Gaz - lovely pics - Thankyou - jb

Thank you very much. One of my OMSS members was there and hopefully picked up some casting from Asset and ATS.

I really feel that John Jenkins is top on the list for imagination, display perspective and personality.

He is producing figures that can be easily displayed in a family environment. Cabinets in the home.

Sorry to Andy and the rest, but we do not need blood to represent wars.

Thanks again.

Don

Gazza,

thanks so much for posting all those wonderful images on your Flickr account...… it's really made my Sunday morning :)

John

Great photos, thanks very much!

Who made the Movie Themed Figures?

TD

oh forgot to add, changed the conning tower/AA guns as well - David Marshall did it all.

So there is a bright orange thing in the sky that we do not see too often in Blighty so firing up the BBQ, having a beer and watching some WC footie.

So not uploading all the pics here one at a time.

Instead 150+ pics on my Flickr account that is public for you to see.

Either follow the link or go to Flickr and my account is Gazza ID.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsminLsod

Stand outs for me are:

JJD Conquistadors
TM Terrain’s Hartenstein Hotel
TG Carthaginian War Elephant

Feel free to re-post any that you like

Cheers

Gazza

Hi Gary,

Sorry I missed you yesterday, we had a family gathering, so I couldn't make the show.

This is a so much better way of posting photos! It usually takes me hours resizing and uploading photos with the TF system.
I'm going to get this sorted for the December show.{sm3}

Thanks for the photos btw. :salute::

Jeff

Thanks for the photos. Looks like it was a good show!

Brendan

Many thanks for the pictures Gazza:salute::

I didn't go to the Show myself and would love to hear comments from anyone who did. The 2017 December Show, the last one I attended, left a lot to be desired putting it mildly :rolleyes2:

Many thanks for any observations

Martyn:)

The British officers mess figures are Ensign,from the 70's.They made a whole series of British officers in mess dress,unpainted kits.

Ensign, yes! Thanks! I always have to go back to my old copies of "Military Modelling" and the new figure reviews, to refresh my memory when any of them turn up.

Prost!
Brad

Hi Gary,

Sorry I missed you yesterday, we had a family gathering, so I couldn't make the show.

This is a so much better way of posting photos! It usually takes me hours resizing and uploading photos with the TF system.
I'm going to get this sorted for the December show.{sm3}

Thanks for the photos btw. :salute::

Jeff

I still have to re-size the pics for speed of upload but that takes a minute or two to do 150+ pics using Windows Live Photo Gallery (bog standard microsoft feature that comes free with office I believe)

The bulk uploading to Flickr takes a couple of minutes for all the pics; it is free at the moment but that may change in the future.

See you in December - there may be some more WB for you to buy by then !!!

Many thanks for the pictures Gazza:salute::

I didn't go to the Show myself and would love to hear comments from anyone who did. The 2017 December Show, the last one I attended, left a lot to be desired putting it mildly :rolleyes2:

Many thanks for any observations

Martyn:)

Martyn

You are welcome.

Like you I last attended in Dec 17 and came away with the same impression.

For a June show it seemed quite busy; picked up a few pieces and talked toy soldiers so a good day out.

IMHO the venue is not great; feels all over the place. It is a couple of school halls and an entrance. There was more room this time though which was good.

A number of big dealers were absent; though there were some new ones. Be interesting to see what happens in the future; not sure three shows is sustainable.

Someone remarked it is more like a ‘jumble sale’. I agree this side has grown a lot in recent years. There are some gems amongst a lot of tat. Depends what you want I guess.

I think KC UK’s displays are missed simply because of their scale / range / diorama boards that were interesting to look at. There is a lack of dioramas to show case figures – ATS and TM Terrain do this well.

I do think the show has not evolved, innovated or improved; it feels the same each time and nothing new (other than certain manufacturers who showcase their new products)

Gazza

I pootled along yesterday for the first time in 5 years and have to agree, the venue lends itself to the feel of a Blue Peter "bring and buy sale". Apologies if the cultural reference is not familiar to some. Will definitely rely on others posting pics from now on.

The notable exceptions being the JJD figures, TM and possibly ATS. K&C and WB look tired brands. I just see them like a band that released a sucessful debut record but has been going on tour year after year playing the same tunes ever since playing to the same people and are happy to do that. The Little Legion display doesn't appear to have ever changed either and have just painted a few uniforms a different colour.

The overriding feeling was that venue aside (poor) and those few notable exceptions, I could have been visiting ten years ago.

Well my main comment would be (as always) – it’s the only show in town………….. :)

The shows have IMO much improved since the December debacle

Lovely hot sunny day, so made the 55 minute trip (for me in Harlow Essex) in my T shirt.

They had a new entrance fee arrangement (well, new to me) - £10.00 early bird 9.30 -10.30, and I think it was £6.00 10.30 - 2.00
Then £4.00 2.0 – 4.00. I had a “pound off entrance flyer” that came with my latest Toy Soldier Magazine (on subscription) so I saved a pound on entry.

There were a fair few people in attendance (especially considering the weather) but not enough to prevent you getting a good look at anything that caught your eye.

Yes, pretty much the usual stuff – Stand outs for me were the U boat on David’s stand, the JJD resin prototype Conquistadors on Grey Goose’s, the “Merill’s Maruaders” on Ready4action’s and the Egyptian Army Officer - Red Coat Models.

Personally, I took home an outstanding casting of a 1914 BEF infantry man from ACE Miniatures and some Aztec sets (which I swore I would not get involved in :eek: ) from Grey Goose.

It’s not an ideal venue for sure, but I think the organisers have done as much as they can to alleviate problems. (The thoroughfare from the show entrance is used by pupils/parents/school workers who walk through the show to reach the hall beyond the show.) This is the biggest draw back now IMO.

I have enclosed a few photos of the venue – all my others just duplicate what Gazza took

Cheers,

Roy

Attachments

• june1.jpg
    june1.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 410
  • june2.jpg
    june2.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 407
  • june3.jpg
    june3.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 408
  • june4.jpg
    june4.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 403
  • june5.jpg
    june5.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 414
Thanks Roy, for sharing the pics and comments....
Were there any stands for cast and older sets being resold, or just brand new items from the regular manufacturers?
Cheers
Luiz

Well my main comment would be (as always) – it’s the only show in town………….. :)

The shows have IMO much improved since the December debacle

Lovely hot sunny day, so made the 55 minute trip (for me in Harlow Essex) in my T shirt.

They had a new entrance fee arrangement (well, new to me) - £10.00 early bird 9.30 -10.30, and I think it was £6.00 10.30 - 2.00
Then £4.00 2.0 – 4.00. I had a “pound off entrance flyer” that came with my latest Toy Soldier Magazine (on subscription) so I saved a pound on entry.

There were a fair few people in attendance (especially considering the weather) but not enough to prevent you getting a good look at anything that caught your eye.

Yes, pretty much the usual stuff – Stand outs for me were the U boat on David’s stand, the JJD resin prototype Conquistadors on Grey Goose’s, the “Merill’s Maruaders” on Ready4action’s and the Egyptian Army Officer - Red Coat Models.

Personally, I took home an outstanding casting of a 1914 BEF infantry man from ACE Miniatures and some Aztec sets (which I swore I would not get involved in :eek: ) from Grey Goose.

It’s not an ideal venue for sure, but I think the organisers have done as much as they can to alleviate problems. (The thoroughfare from the show entrance is used by pupils/parents/school workers who walk through the show to reach the hall beyond the show.) This is the biggest draw back now IMO.

I have enclosed a few photos of the venue – all my others just duplicate what Gazza took

Cheers,

Roy

As a US dealer, I found this observation to be interesting;

"A number of big dealers were absent; though there were some new ones. Be interesting to see what happens in the future; not sure three shows is sustainable.

Someone remarked it is more like a ‘jumble sale’. I agree this side has grown a lot in recent years. There are some gems amongst a lot of tat. Depends what you want I guess.

I think KC UK’s displays are missed simply because of their scale / range / diorama boards that were interesting to look at. There is a lack of dioramas to show case figures – ATS and TM Terrain do this well.

I do think the show has not evolved, innovated or improved; it feels the same each time and nothing new (other than certain manufacturers who showcase their new products)"

This pretty much sums up all the US shows as well for the most part. The fact remains that with dealers retiring or passing away and no new dealers coming along, you're seeing more and more one table vendors peddling odds and ends from their collections, not real dealers but simply collectors thinning out the ranks.

This is one of the reasons why the shows are all slowly dying, who wants to kill a day and spend the money to go to essentially an indoor flea market, people can sugar coat it all they want with comments like "It's a fun day out, you never know what treasures you'll find at a show"; the fact remains we're losing dealers as well as collectors.

Sad to see the same problem exists in the UK, it's a sign of the times.

That said, I do thank you for taking the time to post the pictures, the upcoming JJD conquistadors look great as do the Ready4Action Merrill's Marauders...………….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back