Mlb 2023 (1 Viewer)

lancer

Lieutenant General
Getting near that time. Been a busy off season for many, but it looks like another long season for the fans of the Nats here in the DMV area. At this moment, the projected Opening Day roster for the Nats has a total payroll of under $100 million, at $99.3 mil. Of this total, pitchers Strasburg and Corbin will earn $59.5 million, with Stras projected to open the year on the IL (what a shock that is, having pitched in a total of 8 games since 2019. At age 34, maybe he should just pull the pin.:rolleyes2:). There are 15 players on the roster earning under $1 million, with the other 9 or so earning $1 to $6 million. Baseball on the cheap will mean another probable 100 loss season here in DC in 2023, but I won't give up hoping that the youngsters will come through and maybe play some competitive baseball this summer. Time to warm up the pitchers and catchers and play ball. -- Al

Getting near that time. Been a busy off season for many, but it looks like another long season for the fans of the Nats here in the DMV area. At this moment, the projected Opening Day roster for the Nats has a total payroll of under $100 million, at $99.3 mil. Of this total, pitchers Strasburg and Corbin will earn $59.5 million, with Stras projected to open the year on the IL (what a shock that is, having pitched in a total of 8 games since 2019. At age 34, maybe he should just pull the pin.:rolleyes2:). There are 15 players on the roster earning under $1 million, with the other 9 or so earning $1 to $6 million. Baseball on the cheap will mean another probable 100 loss season here in DC in 2023, but I won't give up hoping that the youngsters will come through and maybe play some competitive baseball this summer. Time to warm up the pitchers and catchers and play ball. -- Al

It is my sincere hope that the Bally Sports bankruptcy will finally bring some sanity to MLB and it’s outdated and out of control finances.

8 games since 2019 on a guaranteed contract of of $245 mil through 2023?

And people wonder why a beer and a hot dog costs $47 in a half empty stadium.

Pitchers and catchers are in camp, workouts have begun and DeGrom is already being held out due to stiffness. And they're off and running... -- Al

Pitchers and catchers are in camp, workouts have begun and DeGrom is already being held out due to stiffness. And they're off and running... -- Al

I’m shocked, absolutely shocked!

Frankie Montas, whom the Yankees acquired at the trading deadline, needs surgery and may be out for the year.

Frankie Montas, whom the Yankees acquired at the trading deadline, needs surgery and may be out for the year.
Nats problem pitcher, Strasburg, has suffered a setback, (again, shock and horror), in his comeback attempt, again. Apparently has a nerve related pain in his recovery from Thoracic Outlet Syndrome surgery. Ho-hum, new season, same story... -- Al

Nats problem pitcher, Strasburg, has suffered a setback, (again, shock and horror), in his comeback attempt, again. Apparently has a nerve related pain in his recovery from Thoracic Outlet Syndrome surgery. Ho-hum, new season, same story... -- Al

Harvey was never the same after his Thoracic surgery. I hope Strasberg has a better fate.

MLB just continues to defy simple economics.

de Grom has already started to “not earn” his $185 mil.

Montas is not going to play in 2023 while being paid $5 mil. MLB network is saying his loss will be detrimental to the Yankee’s World Series chances despite the fact that he went 1-3 with a 6.35 era in 2022.

Montas is not going to play in 2023 while being paid $5 mil. MLB network is saying his loss will be detrimental to the Yankee’s World Series chances despite the fact that he went 1-3 with a 6.35 era in 2022.

I'm sure the gashouse gorillas will go out and buy someone else, or another team will get swindled in a trade with them.

Look at all the World Series championships they've won this century vs say the Red..................

Whoops; nevermind.

MLB just continues to defy simple economics.

de Grom has already started to “not earn” his $185 mil.

If I had numbers like that at work I'd be fired.
Mark

I’m not sure I’d be that alarmed about deGrom. It’s his left side, not his right and he’s already had a few bullpen sessions. Moreover, it was 34 degrees at their spring training location in Arizona.

Looking forward to 2023 Baseball season!! For real the 1st time in a long time my Orioles may have a fighting chance if they can continue to play like they did after the All Star break last year, a good nucleus of young players, a few All Stars, a good Pitching staff and relief group should keep the O's in the fight...also being the new schedule will benefit not playing all the AL East 19 times each helps!!!

Former All-Star catcher and WS champ Tim McCarver has passed away at age 81. I remember him best as the battery mate of Bob Gibson. RIP, Tim. -- Al

I just saw this. I really liked him as a player and his personality. R.I.P. Tim
Mark

McCarver was a fantastic broadcaster. In the 80s he, along with Steve Zabriskie and Ralph Kiner, and sometimes Rusty Staub, broadcast Mets games and there was no better team than those three. Every time you watched a game, McCarver imparted something new, a different way to think about things. They were the best in the business.

Was talking to a customer of mine today, long time Mets fan, he had this funny memory of Tim McCarver;

"He was calling a game a few decades ago featuring one of those dreadful Mets teams back in the day, they were playing the Cardinals I believe.........Jose DeLeon was on the mound.............after a couple of couple of minutes of dead air, McCarver deadpans........."Deleon on the mound; no relation to Ponce"..............

Call me ol timer, hater, fuddy duddy, but was watching the highlights of the new rule on in batters box, pitch thrown timer and can say you can count me out, in my little, humble, honest opinion it takes away the chess match between pitcher and batter,........but hey, just get your *** in the box and pitcher toss a hail mary asap and we'll see what happens 🙄🙄

Last edited:
Call me ol timer, hater, fuddy duddy, but was watching the highlights of the new rule on in batters box, pitch thrown timer and can say you can count me out, in my little, humble, honest opinion it takes away the chess match between pitcher and batter,........but hey, just get your *** in the box and pitcher toss a hail mary asap and we'll see what happens 🙄🙄

Three plus hour games are too long and the game needs to be sped along a bit. There is a time clock in football and no one objects. As a former colleague once said to me change is taking place all the time and if you don’t embrace it, it will run over you.

Three plus hour games are too long and the game needs to be sped along a bit. There is a time clock in football and no one objects. As a former colleague once said to me change is taking place all the time and if you don’t embrace it, it will run over you.

Sir, we will have to agree to disagree .

Sir, we will have to agree to disagree .

The old ways are fine for older fans like you and me but unless they start attracting newer and younger fans, the game is going to wither away and die. It needs to adapt; it can’t stay static. That’s why the NFL is so successful, the NBA too. They’re fast paced games. MLB needs to do what it can to make it faster paced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back