Motivation (1 Viewer)

rharry

Private 1st Class
I was trained as a mental health therapist working with children who were depressed or experienced suicide ideation. We were trained to always ask, “what is the motivation behind the behavior”? So it’s how I look at things. That started me wondering about the variety of collectors. I do ACW because I was in the South for awhile and got hooked on the history. I don’t have any experience with the collection of the Sudan, or Zulu war concepts…..I wondering for those guys who collect these two concepts what motivates you? The figures are awesome and maybe if I studied the period I would appreciate them more but just curious what motivates you to collect what figures you do?

Thats a really interesting question. For me its always been about my interest in the history of the Colonial Wars of Queen Victoria's Empire. I am really hooked on India because of the wide and varried types of units uniforms etc, but the Sudan and other areas are of great interest as well. I am sure that many of the other guys will have very similar comments.

Dave

The Zulu film (Michael Caine) many moons ago planted the seed coupled with the desire to have a dramatic display with large set piece layouts with long lines of identical figures, which is why I branched into the Sudan and eventually also into NORTHWEST FRONTIER for the same reason. I collect Romans with this idea in mind also. Cheers for asking. Robin. Always looking for the 'WOW' factor.

As with many seeing Zulu on it's release at the Curzon cinema Belfast, a bonding experience with my father.

A fascination with wars and battles of the past in areas that are still rife with seemingly pointless Western military activity. Is it something in the Earth's magnetic grid perhaps?

My first attraction to collecting figures of the Zulu War was the photos of a diorama of Rorke's Drift by Joel Banow which appeared in issue No. 7 Vol.2 November/December 1976 of Campaigns International Magazine of Militarty Miniatures. Also included in it was the center fold copy of the painting by C.E. Fripp The 24th at Isandlwana, 22 January 1879 along with photos of kit figures of Cliff Sandersons Hinchliffe and J.B. Updyke MINIMEN Zulu War metal kit figures. What got me into collecting toy Soldiers of the period was Conte's Zulu War Playset Series based on the Movie Zulu which was a favorite of mine as welll a the historial events that took place during the Zulu War and the rest is history............The Lt.

For my Napoleonic addiction, it is a combination of Sharpe and First Legion. I am not sure if I should blame Matt or Bernard Cornwell but in truth I wouldn't have it without both.:D

I have always collected Britains as you know Pops :) My main focus in the toy soldier area was the Ceremonial line (Royal family) because of the shiny figures and the horses. After joining the forum, my good friend Papa Z :D:D enticed me with his wonderful Britains Zulu dioramas and it progressed from there. I had never even heard of the AZW before joining here :eek:. Now I am enjoying it immensely and have both Zulu movies. Also thanks to my friends Pat, Dave and a few others, I have become a fan of the new Britains Durbar line as well, again not knowing about the Durbar until I joined the forum.

I can say one thing, Treefrog certainly has educated me :)

Ever since a child I have been fascinated with the ACW. In my opinion the most telling time in our history. I played with the Marx Blue & Gray sets by the hours. As a freshman in college I declared History as my major with a preference in the ACW. As an adult I became a very serious ACW re-enactor and enjoyed the hobby for years. I started collecting Wm Britain ACW figures and sets because I strongly feel that with Richard Walker at the helm and Ken Osen doing the sculpting, Wm Britain/First Gear have the best sculpted and most historically accurate ACW figures for the price point offered by the industry.
:) Mike

What a very good idea for a thread. I have often thought "why am I interested in this era". Mainly Napoleonic.
History has always been an interest to me especially British history.
At school in the sixties we were mainly brainwashed into believing nothing much happened up until WWII. WW1 only got a look in because we had to learn how it related to WWII.
No lessons about the British Empire, Zulu wars, Crimea and nothing about the Napoleonic wars;
History at school seemed so drab.
So I would say movies like Zulu, Charge of the Light Brigade and Waterloo being the major ones and books fueled the interest; More recently the Sharpe TV series and authors such as Cornwall. Mallinson and Scarrow have kept the interest alive for me.
It's the whole thing about huge armies dressing up in brightly coloured uniforms to look the best for the enemy and then cutting each other to pieces in some open field far from home that I found totally fascinating.
The whole heroic scene of standing around a flag and protecting it with your life. I find that amazing.
The little toy soldier guys bring it all to life again for me.

It's funny that "octavedoctor" says going to see the film Zulu with his dad was a bonding experience. It was the reverse for me visiting the Woolwich Odeon with my dad when I must have been about nine or so. I'm in my fifties now and I still remember my dad ripping into me because I said I couldn't understand why in tha last scene of the film the Zulus just didn't attack all at once and slaughter the remaining red coats. I obviously thought it a good discussion point. He didn't..........:)

Hey thanks all for sharing....yes Scott do you remember when I asked you about four years ago if I could write an article for Model Farmer about you animal/zoo collection.......???;)

good question...one that may go deeper than the glossy colors and shiny figures that catch your eye..After so many years, I whittled down my collection to predominantly ACW. Blame Pat Bird and Series 77. Boxed sets and personally painted figures of personalities, infantry, cavalry and artillery. When i see the Russian painted figures, with all of the fancy Napoleonics and beautiful knights, I still buy ACW..someone once told me that if you have a profound fascination for a certain period of history, then you must have been there in a former life. I'm not completely sold on that but it is another interesting thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back