Museum Display of LAH and WW2 Germans for Collecting Exhibition (2 Viewers)

The Military Workshop

1st Lieutenant
Hi Guys,
With some help from Waynepoo and Jack I will share with you photos of a display I have set up at the Queensland Museum in the Brisbane City Centre.

The Museum is running a one year exhibition called Collectomania. I was contacted by the Museum mid last year and a Senior Curator (Social History) came to visit the shop. I introduced her to three of my collectors and we had a discussion about Toy Soldier collecting in general and the ways different collectors collect them. I also provided her with some brochures one of which was K&C's Collector No 33 which had Hitler on the front and the title Why are Germans so popular ?

Following further discussions the Curator decided they would like a German SS display (I think they like the shock value of SS). I got this expanded to Germans in general so that I could include more variety of uniforms and vehicles. If given the choice I would have displayed Lighthorse, Aussies and Germans North Africa, Zulus, Naps and some WW2 Germans.

The display cabinet was custom made by the Museum and is 2.6m long and 400mm wide. I made two trips and total set up time was about 7 hours including unpacking. I decided to do the following displays :

a) LAH Parade 1m long. This display has about 160 figures in it with 17 rows of 6 marching. I have got a good selection of leaders in there but as some will no doubt note this group of leaders could never have been present at one time. I claim "artistic licence". Particularly inaccurate is that I have Churchill with the Tommy gun about to take out Adolf and his mates on the review stand. The street lamps in the foreground are from the Streets of Hong Kong series.

b) French street scene 400 x 400mm. You will note the Granny in the background. She is looking at the British Tommy weeing (you can see his back). I probably could have put a few more figures in this scene but did not want to keep going back. Includes Kubelwagen and Panzerjager.

c) North Africa 400 x 400mm scene with a few 8th Army about to ambush some AK. Includes Sdkfz 222 and Halftrack. Base is brown wrapping paper.

d) Normandy 400 x 400mm type scene including Panther, SdKfz 234/1 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen and Pak 40.

e) Winter scene 400 x 400mm with Tiger and Skorzeny command vehicle with a US GI doing a recce.

There will be two A4 size notices in the display case (not shown in photos). One is behind first LAH building and the other at the end of the Winter display (perspex stand can be seen in some of the Winter scene photos). Whilst the notice may detract from the Winter display they both have the same text which was written by me. The text mentions briefly that people collect TS's because they played with soldiers as children or have an interest in history. I mention a few well known collectors like Peter Jackson and Phil Collins and say Germans are popular to collect because of the variety of uniforms and vehicles compared to the Allies. The end of the text mentions my name and business name.

All items in the display are King and Country with ammo boxes, rocks, trees, bushes and matts from JG Miniatures. For those who look carefully you may see some minor variations in the photos and this is because I added some dio items after some photos were taken.

I estimate the retail value of the display at about $10,000.

In addition to the notices inside the display the Museum will be linking to my web page, will refer people to me and have requested that I give talks at the Museum. No problem at all !

The exhibition Opens on 28 March and is free. The Museum gets over 1 million visitors a year and is part of the main State Cultural Centre which includes two Art Galleries and the Performing Arts Theatres.

I have taken some photos of other items in the exhibition and will soon open a thread in Chat Lounge area.

I think these could be my first dios on the forum.
Brett

The highly anticipated display, well done Brett and make sure the museum staff put the cover on so kiddies with ice-cream hands don't spoil all the Jerries! {sm2}{eek3}{sm4}

Tom

As my PC went on a go-slow..:mad: Jack has had to use his to upload the pics, he does have some skill....:rolleyes2:
Thanks mate.

Brett,
Your first Dio on the forum, no bad for a first attempt I suppose, but you could've put a bit of effort into covering the bases don't you think? wouldn't have taken long.....{sm3}:wink2:^&grin
Wayne.

Brett,
Your first Dio on the forum, no bad for a first attempt I suppose, but you could've put a bit of effort into covering the bases don't you think? wouldn't have taken long.....{sm3}:wink2:^&grin
Wayne.

Wayne,
I think your PC had an allergic reaction to too many German figures in one morning. I thought I covered the LAH base quite well{sm4}.

Normandy and Africa are a bit basic as you will see.

About another 35 photos to come.

Brett

Wayne,
I think your PC had an allergic reaction to too many German figures in one morning. I thought I covered the LAH base quite well{sm4}.

Brett
Ha, yes too many Germans at once is what did it..:rolleyes2:.......Oh to have so much to play with, looking forward to going in on Thursday for a gander.
Wayne.

More..

Attachments

• F01.jpg
    F01.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 247
  • F02.jpg
    F02.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 251
  • F03.jpg
    F03.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 242
  • F04.jpg
    F04.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 246
  • F05.jpg
    F05.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 283
Some more..

Attachments

• N03.jpg
    N03.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 219
  • N04.jpg
    N04.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 221
  • N05.jpg
    N05.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 224
  • N06.jpg
    N06.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 221
  • N07a.jpg
    N07a.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 216
So now all these figures,vehicles and buildings that are second hand now retail cheaper once the display is packed away......................^&grin
Very impressive mate amazing how popular WW2 Germans are looks great.....................................................................................{bravo}}

Wayne,

Brett

Don't worry Brett, my PC loves Jerries!!!{sm4}

Tom

So now all these figures,vehicles and buildings that are second hand now retail cheaper once the display is packed away......................^&grin
Very impressive mate amazing how popular WW2 Germans are looks great.....................................................................................{bravo}}

Wayne,
Surely they will be increasing in value due to the "prestige" of being on display in the Museum{sm4}.

Now trying to pursuade the Museum that they need TS dioramas for a forthcoming exhibition on WWI. Mephisto moveed to the Ipswich Train Museum until end of 2014.

I did also talk to the Museum shop and suggested they stock some plastic soldiers. Seem to be way overstocked with dinosaurs at the moment{sm2}.

Whilst LAH not my thing it certainly does look good en masse. Lucky I did not have to fill whole display case with LAH or they would have been marching two by two !

Brett

After setting up the Africa display I thought the gesturing Arab from the Naps in Egypt series would have been good as the petrol pump attendant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back