My Leuthen collection - it's starting to come together......... (3 Viewers)

Has anyone found a suitable model of a church in 1/32 scale that would work for the Luethen diorama? I am trying to do a more complete diorama of the battle and have heard a rumor that JJD wil be expanding the 7YW line soon. I have been looking but have not found one. Carlo if you read this post what about making one?

Howard, many thanks for the confidence. I 'presume' it would be a huge building, at 1:30 scale making a rough calculation the bell tower could reach a meter in height, staying in an appropriate ratio not less than 80cm. Not an easy job indeed...ha ha ha!
I do not know if at the time of the battle the side chapels already existed, in some pictures it seems that they are not.
There was another thread in 2012 about the structure: http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?37929-New-Leuthen-Structure/page2
cheers
Carlo

Attachments

• LEUTHEN CHURCH 02.jpg
    LEUTHEN CHURCH 02.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 217
Howard, many thanks for the confidence. I 'presume' it would be a huge building, at 1:30 scale making a rough calculation the bell tower could reach a meter in height, staying in an appropriate ratio not less than 80cm. Not an easy job indeed...ha ha ha!
I do not know if at the time of the battle the side chapels already existed, in some pictures it seems that they are not.
There was another thread in 2012 about the structure: http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?37929-New-Leuthen-Structure/page2
cheers
Carlo

Carlo,
Thanks for the quick reply. What scale would you have to do to make it realistically. The JJD gate and walls that they sell are probably less than 1/32 scale when looking at the pictures. As long as the scale looks realistic to the gate,wall,turrets that JJD has on the market I think you could take some license with the church scale. The dioramas on the link that you offered look like the church does not fit the scale that you are talking about compared to the othe buildings in the different dioramas. They downsized the structure where it was still asthetically looking in the dio. Also the bell tower/steeple can be a seperate piece that would be put on during setup to save on shipping size. In fact it could all be made modular to be assembled at time of setup. You do such a great job with the lightweight polystyrene on your buildings I just wanted you to give some thought to the Luethen Church.

If you think it is doable let me know what scale and how much it would cost. With your talent I think that not only you could make it work but I bet I would not be the only one intrested in one.

Food for thought
Howard

Carlo,
Thanks for the quick reply. What scale would you have to do to make it realistically. The JJD gate and walls that they sell are probably less than 1/32 scale when looking at the pictures. As long as the scale looks realistic to the gate,wall,turrets that JJD has on the market I think you could take some license with the church scale. The dioramas on the link that you offered look like the church does not fit the scale that you are talking about compared to the othe buildings in the different dioramas. They downsized the structure where it was still asthetically looking in the dio. Also the bell tower/steeple can be a seperate piece that would be put on during setup to save on shipping size. In fact it could all be made modular to be assembled at time of setup. You do such a great job with the lightweight polystyrene on your buildings I just wanted you to give some thought to the Luethen Church.

If you think it is doable let me know what scale and how much it would cost. With your talent I think that not only you could make it work but I bet I would not be the only one intrested in one.

Food for thought
Howard

I have tons of pictures of the Leuthen Church as I've been there twice, just recently on October 7, 2016

Jim

Hi again Dave, hope you get to make it.

As you are working out there - perhaps you are Polish or German speaking? If so, take a good look at the board on the South side of the wall - near to the Battle commemoration cross. It is in Polish and German and seems to contain a wealth of information on the battle. I took a couple of photos of it in the hope of translating the writing. I haven't had time to try and decipher it yet, but on "blowing up" the pictures the writing isn't always clear. There are I believe, a couple of photos however of the windmills where Prince Charles was based during the battle and a couple of photos of the interior of the museum that used to be housed over the road. ( Still standing.) Also - there is a photo of the commemoration Cross with the breach in the wall behind it still in place!

Cheers, Roy.

Get a copy of the Christopher Duffy book titled, "Prussia's Glory, Rossbach and Leuthen 1757" for a very detailed, but highly readable account of Leuthen that will tell you a lot more about the battle than you will get from those signs. Any book by Christopher Duffy is a must read if you are interested in the SYW.

Jim

a few close ups of the rear of the pieces they are just as well detailed as the Fronts!

Actually the Rot Wurzburg lads used the church pews from the church as firing steps. I'm not sure that there would have been an abundance of wooden crates in Silesia in 1757. Here are some pix that I took a couple of weeks ago that illustrate the height of the wall relative to a man.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
Get a copy of the Christopher Duffy book titled, "Prussia's Glory, Rossbach and Leuthen 1757" for a very detailed, but highly readable account of Leuthen that will tell you a lot more about the battle than you will get from those signs. Any book by Christopher Duffy is a must read if you are interested in the SYW.

Jim

Actually the Rot Wurzburg lads used the church pews from the church as firing steps. I'm not sure that there would have been an abundance of wooden crates in Silesia in 1757. Here are some pix that I took a couple of weeks ago that illustrate the height of the wall relative to a

Jim

Hi Jim,

I do actually have the Christopher Duffy book - I did post a picture of it on this thread back in 2013. Thanks for the recommendation anyway :)

As for the packing cases..........{eek3} I'm sure there weren't ANY around back then. I was merely remarking on the detail of the actual sculpts -which is very good.

As for the pews yes...... but it's a very small church inside (I visited as well back in 2013) not enough pews to cover the walls? so they must have used other things as well.
Plus I believe they made loop holes etc.

I am also aware from my visit that the walls are not as high as depicted in the very heroically styled Carl Rochling painting. It did state when the Leuthen mini range was announced that it was based on the Carl Rochling painting......... Which the series does very well in my humble opinion.

Cheers,

Roy

Attachments

• IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    296.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_2170.JPG
    IMG_2170.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 183
Jim,
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing them. Personal pictures seem to give a better idea of size and scale than pictures in a book. I wonder if the church had the Red Tile roof in 1757? does anyone know that for a fact?

Howard

Red tile roofs were and still are common to Silesia. Also, stork nests on the chimneys

That is intresting. I always thought that red tile roofs were Spanish origin. All the red tile roofs in the U.S. are of a Spanish architecture. I would love to go to Europe at least once so I would have a better idea of their enviorment.

Howard

Hi All,
I am curious to know..maybe the ones of us that visited the actual site may know the answer.....what happened to the fancy gate that JJD depicts on the miniature/set and I could not see it on the present day photos?{sm4}:cool:Was it brought down, or was it a nice add on based on a book illustration?
Cheers
Luiz

Yeap I fully agree on the crate/packing cases issue......the ones added to the set as firing steps are an unfortunate historical blunder....the crates are reproduced having as reference modern crates with the diagonal reinforcement planks never to be found in 1770´s only a couple of centuries later.....I personally find that bad, for one can never show pictures of the dio from the defenders side without disclosing the historical inaccuracy....To that I was given two answers at the time:
(1) Never show the inside of the defensive works......well then what the heck having such a detailed defensive work if I cannot show...{sm2}{sm2}
(2) We are not looking for historical accuracy.....then again what the heck focusing on the accuracy of the uniforms and weaponry....
My choice would have been, if I am paying top dollar for the sets, I expect top quality detailed research on the item I am buying.......Had they checked at least some period harbour paintings, other battle paintings of the same period or even the JG Miniature catalogue..they would have a better idea of what to sculpt.{sm4}
Cheers
Luiz

Hi Jim,

I do actually have the Christopher Duffy book - I did post a picture of it on this thread back in 2013. Thanks for the recommendation anyway :)

As for the packing cases..........{eek3} I'm sure there weren't ANY around back then. I was merely remarking on the detail of the actual sculpts -which is very good.

As for the pews yes...... but it's a very small church inside (I visited as well back in 2013) not enough pews to cover the walls? so they must have used other things as well.
Plus I believe they made loop holes etc.

I am also aware from my visit that the walls are not as high as depicted in the very heroically styled Carl Rochling painting. It did state when the Leuthen mini range was announced that it was based on the Carl Rochling painting......... Which the series does very well in my humble opinion.

Cheers,

Roy

Let me answer my own question.....
Checking the first posts to this thread I saw a picture posted by Obee back in 2013, that shows the nice portal still standing there...
Cheers
Luiz

Hi All,
I am curious to know..maybe the ones of us that visited the actual site may know the answer.....what happened to the fancy gate that JJD depicts on the miniature/set and I could not see it on the present day photos?{sm4}:cool:Was it brought down, or was it a nice add on based on a book illustration?
Cheers
Luiz

Here it is.....

Have any of you had a look at the Chruch and wall in Poland already ????

On GOOGLE MAPS, search for Lutynia, Poland (the curent name of the town) and then click onto the images that people have posted, sorry no StreetView there yet....

Here is one, and there are even more ...

View attachment 123212

Enjoy yout trip there Bill, and PLEASE post your own images so we can also see whats its like today, 250 years after the battle.

John

The Portal and Wall looks to have been altered with the addition that is built on to it that was not there during the battle. Does anyone know if this is the rear portal entrance to the church yard and if so did they have the exact portal on the opposite side of the front entrance to the church yard?

Howard

The Portal and Wall looks to have been altered with the addition that is built on to it that was not there during the battle. Does anyone know if this is the rear portal entrance to the church yard and if so did they have the exact portal on the opposite side of the front entrance to the church yard?

Howard

I believe that this might be the front gate because it is on the side next to the church steeple, which is usually the front of the church. The more ornate back gate lead to the rear of the church.

image.jpg

Here is a picture of the rear of the church, as seen once you walk through the ornate gateway. Note that absence of any door in the rear:

image.jpg

I believe that this might be the front gate because it is on the side next to the church steeple, which is usually the front of the church. The more ornate back gate lead to the rear of the church.

View attachment 202350

Thank You for the beautiful pictures of the church. Would you happen to have a picture of the front of the church with the front door on the steeple side? Carlo are you taking this all in? It will make a beautiful model.

Thanks
Howard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back