My Leuthen collection - it's starting to come together......... (2 Viewers)

Great dramatic scenes Roy, I like the blokes standing on the crates.

Tom

Hi John - A drummer and Standard Bearer...........................^&grin that would be the icing on the cake!

A view from the other side of the wall.............. "Here they come"..........!

John has sculpted an Austrian command group with an officer, drummer and two flag bearers. i think he will release next year.

Like these figures, can see why you collect them Roy. Robin.

Great dramatic scenes Roy, I like the blokes standing on the crates.

Tom

Thanks Robin and Tom. This series was (is!) a bit of a passion for me but for various reasons I have sadly neglected it over the past 18 months or so.
I'm now heavily into the WOR series - but I'm determined to resume work on finishing my Leuthen dio . (I reached a bit of a block over what I could or couldn't do with it......) ^&confuse

Cheers!
Roy

John has sculpted an Austrian command group with an officer, drummer and two flag bearers. i think he will release next year.

That would be oustanding - I could make great use of those. Many thanks!

Roy

I hope John does at least one Prussian Flag bearer for the command set also. The beauty of these old horse and musket battles was the ornate uniforms and lines of troops with their battle Flags flying. The pagentry of these old battles must have been something to behold.

Howard

The figures look excellent without bases, but I would never have the courage to remove them. Robin.

The figures look excellent without bases, but I would never have the courage to remove them. Robin.

I'll second that! I don't mind cutting and shutting old Britains figures and the like - long past their "best sell by date", but it's a different kettle of fish altogether - taking a not inexpensive, brand-new figure and taking a saw or knife to it.

I take my hat off to you for your courage, and then expertise in putting these figures back together in altogether new poses. Well done indeed.:salute::

But it would be a lot easier - were such figures to be also made available by manufacturers as castings - don't you think????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

jb

Hi Robin,

It is a very time consuming.fiddly job. Some bases are reasonably easily removed - some definitely are not :(
To be honest I wouldn't recommend the proceedure {eek3}

I myself would like to see any kneeling or prone figures supplied by manufacturers as the norm without bases. Not a hard job
for them and a saving on materials/cost surely? (I know in some cases this is already happening.)

Roy

I guess the issues I would have Roy, is the possibility of the figure not balanced anymore to stand unaided. Also one of the things I like about this hobby is the weight aspect of the figures which the base no doubt contributes. Interested in your thoughts about stability of the figure without a base, how do you handle this? Robin.

Hi Robin,

It is a very time consuming.fiddly job. Some bases are reasonably easily removed - some definitely are not :(
To be honest I wouldn't recommend the proceedure {eek3}

I myself would like to see any kneeling or prone figures supplied by manufacturers as the norm without bases. Not a hard job
for them and a saving on materials/cost surely? (I know in some cases this is already happening.)

Roy

I agree that all prone and causalty figures that are prone should have no base at all. Kneeling figures I am OK with either way. The prone figures fit into a diorama more realistically without a base. That is my observation. JJD makes causalty figures without bases and they look great. Just need some more for 7YW Austrian.

Howard

I guess the issues I would have Roy, is the possibility of the figure not balanced anymore to stand unaided. Also one of the things I like about this hobby is the weight aspect of the figures which the base no doubt contributes. Interested in your thoughts about stability of the figure without a base, how do you handle this? Robin.

Hi Robin,

Stability wise obviously prone figures are fine. The kneeling figures I have taken the bases off are (after some filing etc to make sure all points making contact with a flat surface are level)
also very stable. But yes - not quite as stable as with a base! The standing figures I have taken the bases off are not "free standing" (a few actually are - but I wouldn't class them stable :)
But with these figures I can prop them up against the wall or possibly I may put a peg in one foot and drill hole in packing cases. Still figuring that one out. :rolleyes2:

I have only gone into all this for my Leuthen dio. Taking the bases off the Austrians also I feel, gives them a better look on the walls - and offering a lower profile to the enemy.....
So stability with a base doesn't really matter to me as these figures are as stable as I require them to be on my dio.

(I must say as a youngster I bought and saw many kneeling figures in the shops - all very stable, so it's certainly not a new idea) :)

Must also say - apart from the risk of completely mullering the figures - I've completely blown any re-sale value they may have ^&grin
The wieght aspect of figures is quite pleasing but if a manufacturer could offer me an alternative to metal that was as detailed, cheaper and lighter - That would do for me!

Roy

I'll second that! I don't mind cutting and shutting old Britains figures and the like - long past their "best sell by date", but it's a different kettle of fish altogether - taking a not inexpensive, brand-new figure and taking a saw or knife to it.

I take my hat off to you for your courage, and then expertise in putting these figures back together in altogether new poses. Well done indeed.:salute::

But it would be a lot easier - were such figures to be also made available by manufacturers as castings - don't you think????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

jb

Hi jb,

Thank you very much for your kind words, most appreciated :eek:

I must agree with you - it would be wonderful if we could buy castings................ but somehow I can't see it happening.............. :(

Cheers,

Roy

I agree that all prone and causalty figures that are prone should have no base at all. Kneeling figures I am OK with either way. The prone figures fit into a diorama more realistically without a base. That is my observation. JJD makes causalty figures without bases and they look great. Just need some more for 7YW Austrian.

Howard

Absolutely spot on Howard :salute::

Roy

Hi Robin,

Must also say - apart from the risk of completely mullering the figures - I've completely blown any re-sale value they may have ^&grin
The wieght aspect of figures is quite pleasing but if a manufacturer could offer me an alternative to metal that was as detailed, cheaper and lighter - That would do for me!

Roy

That might not necessary be true as maybe someone would want to buy your whole setup because of it's uniqueness of having converted figures that no one else has and NO BASES!
Mark

Hi all,

I must confess I am quite new to John Jenkins, but I couldn't reject a special offer from my local dealer ... :rolleyes: and so here they are...

The figures are brilliant and very detailed. And I am fascinated from the 7YW since years.

The trees and snow are from a christmas deco shop :D, so they might be not the best on the market, but maybe the cheapest...

I hope you enjoy.

IMG_7437.JPG

IMG_7441.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7439.JPG
    IMG_7439.JPG
    536.9 KB · Views: 161
That background image of the church really sets off your diorama.

I think that I have seen it somewhere as a painting of the action, so maybe that's what I should do to mine too??

Thanks for the inspiration :)

John

Hi,

the background is taken from a painting in a book about the Great Battles of Friedrich The Great.

1757.12 Leuthen Variante.JPG

Bildquelle:
Engelmann, Joachim / Dorn, Günter: Die Schlachten Friedrichs des Großen, Augsburg 1996, Bechtermünz, Seite 97.

That background image of the church really sets off your diorama.

I think that I have seen it somewhere as a painting of the action, so maybe that's what I should do to mine too??

Thanks for the inspiration :)

John

Has anyone found a suitable model of a church in 1/32 scale that would work for the Luethen diorama? I am trying to do a more complete diorama of the battle and have heard a rumor that JJD wil be expanding the 7YW line soon. I have been looking but have not found one. Carlo if you read this post what about making one?

Howard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back