New member - Pricing (1 Viewer)

:D:D

Good job we can take the p*** out of each other Wayne!.

Didn't Germany beat Aus in the 1944 Berlin 20/20 final?;)

Rob

Speaking of cricket and sorry for side tracking this thread but 5 one dayers coming up mate...................;)

Speaking of cricket and sorry for side tracking this thread but 5 one dayers coming up mate...................;)

Looking forward to it Wayne,people can call football the beautiful game,but its not really;)

Right back to prices before we get in trouble.

Rob

NMA for example were selling there products really cheaply and were giving dealers it at half price so, imagine what they are getting it made for the same with other comapnies, including the big ones.

And NMA are where?

sheesh i know a Mars bar does not cost 65p to make but i still buy them and only last year they were 55p and boy i can remember when they were 8p!!

NMA for example were selling there products really cheaply and were giving dealers it at half price so, imagine what they are getting it made for the same with other comapnies, including the big ones.

And NMA are where?

sheesh i know a Mars bar does not cost 65p to make but i still buy them and only last year they were 55p and boy i can remember when they were 8p!!

Back when a dinosaur ride was 3 iotas of gold eh Tony?:D

Hi Guys,

Believe it or not I wish prices were not what they are today as well BUT there are plenty of reasons to explain… why they are what they are…

So, here goes…

1. Labour & Raw Materials Costs
As China has grown and developed (by leaps and bounds) over the last ten years both of the above have seen corresponding spikes and hikes.
Now, if “PANZERACES” has already checked this out perhaps he might like to share all of those names, addresses and contact numbers with all of us manufacturers so everyone might benefit from these great new (and cheaper) factories!!!

2. More detail… more variety… better quality… higher prices
As the market has grown so also has the number of companies producing… As competition to be one better than the next company has increased so have collectors’ expectations and desires to see more and better of what is being produced.
That my friends means more complex work which takes longer to design and manufacture and costs a lot more to actually produce… and, therefore, to buy.

3. Import Duties and various other taxes
Perhaps it has escaped “PANZERACES” notice but the U.K. and the entire European Community are among the highest taxed countries in the world.
Companies that sell K&C (and other imported brands) are “gouged” by the various tax authorities throughout the E.E.C. when they import… sell… and attempt to run a small business against almost insurmountable odds.
Critics like “PANZERACES” only see what they want to see and think what they want to think… rarely do they ever have the responsibilities… woes and worries of actually running (or trying to run) a successful business.

4. A Golden Age…?
Yes, it is! Collectable toy soldiers have never, ever been cheap… Even 30 years ago when I started collecting they were far from cheap. Of course today they are more expensive… anything hand-made… hand-painted… produced in relatively minute numbers usually is.
BUT, look at the development, growth, huge variety of choice and availability and it is… STAGGERING… So another emphatic YES! It is a “Golden Age” and I and many others certainly do not believe “we are nearing the end of a good thing”. We’ve only just begun… cue for a song!

5. Tough Times Ahead…
That’s probably true as well… And so we all make choices about what we like, need or must have…
I was talking to a collector a few days ago who said this… “I buy because it cheers me up… these little soldiers have given me more pleasure and more enjoyment, dollar for dollar, than almost anything, outside of my family, I can think of”.
So, buy what you like… when or if you can afford it… and have yourself a little fun!

Best wishes and happy collecting!
Andy C.

Thanks for the reply to this thread. $ is always contentious. For myself the amount of $ allocated to the hobby has not changed much over the years. Clearly that fixed amount does not buy as many pieces as it used too. We live in an age where we get less for more, plain and simple and our hobby is no exception. With a budget I am now forced to more than ever scrutinize every purchase more closely and unfortunately let some opportunities pass me by ( as much as that hurts ). What makes this process even more painful is that there is so much wonderful product from so many manufacturers ( The Golden Age ) that I'm forced to make more and more very difficult decisions. Its tough for me because my collection and interests are very wide. I guess ultimately I can choose to spend more ( unlikely ), downgrade to cheaper alternatives ( unlikely ) or focus more on particular lines ( likely ). At least we consumers have the choice and I suppose that's a nice dilemma to be in.

Thanks for the reply to this thread. $ is always contentious. For myself the amount of $ allocated to the hobby has not changed much over the years. Clearly that fixed amount does not buy as many pieces as it used too. We live in an age where we get less for more, plain and simple and our hobby is no exception. With a budget I am now forced to more than ever scrutinize every purchase more closely and unfortunately let some opportunities pass me by ( as much as that hurts ). What makes this process even more painful is that there is so much wonderful product from so many manufacturers ( The Golden Age ) that I'm forced to make more and more very difficult decisions. Its tough for me because my collection and interests are very wide. I guess ultimately I can choose to spend more ( unlikely ), downgrade to cheaper alternatives ( unlikely ) or focus more on particular lines ( likely ). At least we consumers have the choice and I suppose that's a nice dilemma to be in.

Very well put CFM as I'm in the same boat as you. Increased pricing along with more and more excellent product available has shrunk what I am able to purchase. I have to be very selective and only purchase what I now consider "must haves" (although now I can't even stay up with those).

I'm keeping my purchases down to 1 subset of the Britains Zulu range (i.e. Rorke's Drift) along with a select few desired pieces of other lines from Britains, K&C, FL and JJ. My purchases have dropped off by 70% from my peak a few years ago... Time to enjoy what I have... The challenge for manufacturers will be to attract new collectors to the hobby to keep it growing or at the very least stabilize it...

Increased prices don't bother me as long as there is an increase in quality. I would dearly like to see some of the mounted horsemen produced in a larger size. Say 120mm, and in limited editions. Much like Andrea and Poste Militaire.

I think we must not forget that K&C et al are 'grown up' toys so, to speak,or, collectables if that offends anyone.

You pay for what you get and, looking at the industry at the moment K&C seem to be priced about right for existing collectors and, say those just coming in to the hobby.

The hobby is for if we are honest not really for children and is aimed at those whose pockets are deep (ish) and, as I did and I am sure others on here will mirror you start at the opposite ends of the collecting bar and, work your way to the better end of the market as and when you can.

There is no doubt that having so much on the market is really good but, can be counter productive also for collectors. Everyone is aware of price increases and the difficult economic times we live in and, speaking for the UK it will only get worse before it gets better so, dealers have a good opportunity to help not only themselves but also their customers and, the hobby by doing as much as they can to help collectors acquire their collections and not to miss out on 'must' have items.

I think K&C are doing their bit as a manufacturer whethere deliberate or, because of the state of the econonomy in reducing the speed and frequency of the discontinued ranges as in the last several months disco items have really slowed down which, allows collectors a lot more time to get those purchases they otherwise may not have been able to do so.

The most important thing is to remember whether you have 1000 pieces or 1 just appreciate what you have and what you can get and, remember, its about making you happy.
Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back