New Release:Jagdpanther in Winter & Normandy (4 Viewers)

Lovely looking models. However, I wish CS had done their research properly, for they would have discovered that the Jagdpanther never served with the 9th SS Pz Div "Hohenstauffen" whose divisional marking the model carries.

In Normandy the few Jagdpanthers available were assigned to Schwere Panzer Jager Abteilung 654. In preparation for Ardennes offensive Panzer divisions (both SS and Heer) were augmented by separate Panzer or Panzer Jaeger Abteilungs to make up the reduced numbers in the Panzer regiments of certain units resulting from their severe combat losses during the summer and autumn. That's why the 1st SS Pz division "Leibstandarte" got a Tiger II battalion. Both 12 SS Pz and Panzer Lehr had their panzer regiments augmented by Jagdpanthers from Sch Pz Jaeger units. The only record I have seen of Jagdpanthers serving with an SS Pz division is in the memoirs of the German author Gunter Grass "Peeling the Onion", who served in the Waffen SS at the very end of the war. He specifically mentions the Jagdpanther serving in his division, 10 SS Pz Div "Frundsberg".

Apparently in January 1945 the situation was so desperate that Jagdpanthers were sent as replacement "panzers" to the nearest front line units. The 1945 allocation looks like this:

Shipped.......Quantity.......Unit
Jan 22........14............I./Pz.Rgt.29
Feb 10........14............I./Pz.Rgt.130
Feb 14........10............2.SS-Panzer-Division
Feb 14.........8.............4.Panzer-Division
Feb 14........10............9.SS-Panzer-Division
Feb 15........10............Führer-Grenadier-Division
Feb 24........6..............s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt.654
Feb 28........10............10.SS-Panzer-Division
Mar 13..........5..............s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt.559
Mar 27........11.............s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt.560
Mar 30.........4..............25.Panzer-Division
Apr 7..........35..............2.Panzer-Division
Apr 8..........10.............s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt.655
Apr 17.........10.............s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt.559
Apr 21.........9...............s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt.559

Brian:

Do the hatches on the top of the tank close? A great looking tank!

Thanks,

Alex

Wow, winter version will going into my collection. I really like the concept of the figures having optional bases for either climbing on the vehicles or action poses-what a great touch.
mike

Great research by all. Thank you.

SS sells. :(

Excellent released Brian. Well done.
One question when you said it comes with two full crew. Are they full body or half body figures ?

If you flip thru Arnhem 1944 by Stephen Badsey there's mention on page 80 of a company of Jagdpanthers from the 559th Assault Batt. in support of a parachute Batt. in the area of Hell's Highway south of Veghel. That would seem to fall within the overall Market Garden battle.

Apparently in January 1945 the situation was so desperate that Jagdpanthers were sent as replacement "panzers" to the nearest front line units. The 1945 allocation looks like this:

Shipped.......Quantity.......Unit
Jan 22........14............I./Pz.Rgt.29
Feb 10........14............I./Pz.Rgt.130
Feb 14........10............2.SS-Panzer-Division
Feb 14.........8.............4.Panzer-Division
Feb 14........10............9.SS-Panzer-Division
Feb 15........10............Führer-Grenadier-Division
Feb 24........6..............s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt.654
Feb 28........10............10.SS-Panzer-Division
Mar 13..........5..............s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt.559
Mar 27........11.............s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt.560

Mar 30.........4..............25.Panzer-Division
Apr 7..........35..............2.Panzer-Division
Apr 8..........10.............s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt.655
Apr 17.........10.............s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt.559
Apr 21.........9...............s.H.Pz.Jg.Abt.559

Very useful information fmethorst. I wonder how much of the April production actually made it to their assigned units.

GUYS:

Thanks for the unit info on the Jagdpanther. Even though the new CS Jagdpanther looks great, the 9th SS insignia mistake means I'll stick with my FOV Jagdpanther.

GUYS:

Thanks for the unit info on the Jagdpanther. Even though the new CS Jagdpanther looks great, the 9th SS insignia mistake means I'll stick with my FOV Jagdpanther.
Don't let the insignia error stop the purchase of the piece, if you like it. The CS decals have proved very easy to remove, especially the ones mounted on zimmerit. The decals will almost lift right off. You can make it whatever unit you want to. -- Al

GUYS:

Actually the 9th SS insignia is right at home on a 10th SS Frundsburg Tank! Yes its true! You see these two " sister " battalions regularly swapped armor. So in fact it is quite common to identify Frundsburg troops on Hohenstaufen AFV's and vice versa as they were always helping each other to make up losses or bone up formations: especially during the Arnhem and Nijmegan battles.

Cheers!

Brian

Unit insignia is an interesting issue. On the positive side it can tie a model to specific events and places in history and add a cool detail. On the negative side it can limit the flexibility of a model and if done incorrectly can detract from the overall appeal (for those people who are fussy about such things).

Like the guys said, the CS decals are easy to remove if they bug you. I'm getting this piece because I love my CS armor!

I just love the ambush camouflage pattern, regardless of the historical implications. I want this one...:D

I just love the ambush camouflage pattern, regardless of the historical implications. I want this one...:D

Sometimes you just kind get what you like even if the timeline and place don't match. I've done it in the past and never regretted it. I will likely do it in the future. LOL

Carlos

Unit insignia is an interesting issue. On the positive side it can tie a model to specific events and places in history and add a cool detail. On the negative side it can limit the flexibility of a model and if done incorrectly can detract from the overall appeal (for those people who are fussy about such things).

Part of the hobby to me is that I am the General. If I tell my guys to go 'find' a 10SS tank & make it theirs, it's going to happen! I've seen too many anomalies especially wrt the Germans to be rigid about this stuff. Lets face it most of their records burned & only a small percentage of events were photographed.

I recall reading the transcript given to the US Army of a German PD commander who's division got annihilated in the Kielce breakthrough in Poland. It was either the 17, 18 or 19 PD; forgot which. HE said his division had 2 full battalions of Panthers, but the crews were green. Going by the documented TO&E for the unit at that time & place, he should have had 1 battalion of Panthers, & one of PzIV. Who do we believe?

In the future, perhaps TCS could consider including a vintage photo of the model along with the card of authenticity, or perhaps combine it into an ID card with a brief history. :wink2:

Part of the hobby to me is that I am the General. If I tell my guys to go 'find' a 10SS tank & make it theirs, it's going to happen! I've seen too many anomalies especially wrt the Germans to be rigid about this stuff. Lets face it most of their records burned & only a small percentage of events were photographed.

I recall reading the transcript given to the US Army of a German PD commander who's division got annihilated in the Kielce breakthrough in Poland. It was either the 17, 18 or 19 PD; forgot which. HE said his division had 2 full battalions of Panthers, but the crews were green. Going by the documented TO&E for the unit at that time & place, he should have had 1 battalion of Panthers, & one of PzIV. Who do we believe?

Agree 100%. Never say never.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back