New Release: Scots Greys! (1 Viewer)

The Collectors Showcase

Staff Sergeant

Royal Scots Greys​

For The First Time Ever With Our New Proprietary MiniCloth SculptingTechnology

The Royal Scots Greys ride again! TCS is very happy to present our next Napoleonic installment.

These eight figures are packed full of action and for the first time ever incorporate our new proprietary physics sculpting model that perfectly imitates the behavior of real clothing in miniature. Known as minicloth it truly takes sculpting to whole new level. Minicloth was written in-house and takes into account simulations that incorporate physics and density of whatever attributes we assign, from dense wool to thin cotton. You’ll think you’re looking at a real rider and horse! MiniCloth brings forth a new era in miniatures never before seen: our in-house technology combined with traditional techniques, brings forth results that are pretty amazing. Naturally we'll be using minicloth on all of our sculpts moving forward. We’ll be showing these pieces in Chicago and wait till you get a close look, it’s pretty wild.

The action has been pushed further again and the paint combines our popular gritty look with the bright colors of the Scots Greys uniform. We thought after doing our 92nd Highlanders it would be great to set the scene right with the Grey’s charging-right into a battery of French guns! Well we left out the French casualties but we think we captured the mood alright!
These gems are extremely limited at just 400 sets worldwide.

Our Napoleonic sets are by far one of our best selling genres and an entire host of Regimental additions are just beginning to roll out. The Royal Scots Greys are a part of our October product issues. Pre-order with the dealer of your choice. (You’ll see these bad boys up on our site in two weeks )

Not getting your free TCS mini-magazine every month? Sign up: www.thecollectorsshowcase.com

Best regards and Tally Hoooo!

Brian

SCOTS1.jpg

SCOTS2.jpg

SCOTS3.jpg

Last edited:
This is a very intersting thread especially, the information about the new technology in cloth detailing and, must say that it works well. I also like the dapple greys which look excellent. I think these sets will be a huge success with the collectors of this genre.
Mitch

I do not post here too much. I do read every day. I just felt compelled to post that these scots grey's (at least from the picture) look fantastic. I have been greatly impressed with the recent CS releases. The quality and the differing poses have really sold me. I'm staring at my highlanders and can't wait to add these to my ever crowded shelfs. keep up the great releases!

These are excellent. I don't collect Napoleonics, but I sure wouldn't mind a "Scotland Forever" scene on my shelf. These could be the only Napoleonics to get me into the genre.:D -- Al

The troopers look like the best done yet version of the Greys at this scale and the action is quite believable in this release. The horse sculpts seem also nice but the uniformity of the grey coloring is a bit of a stretch. Grey horses are actually rather varied in shades and dappling. Still I think this is the best CS mounted set yet.

These do look very indeed nice Brian, do you foresee doing the French casualties in the future?.

Rob

Much as I like the release I was despartely hoping for something other than Scot's Greys. Still I will add a few to my existing dio of Naps. The CS horse do blend in with KC IMO. I have CS French horse with KC figs and think they go well together.

This is a brave move, since K&C already produced an excellent set on the same troops.

Although this is very nice, I don't think I will buy another set.

K&C still have an edge with its bright colors and well done historical research

One other thought, why the habit of always portraying officers, buglers, and flagbearers with both hands filled with flags, bugles, pistols and swords? Both mounted and dismounted. A bit difficult to control a charging horse I would think.

One other thought, why the habit of always portraying officers, buglers, and flagbearers with both hands filled with flags, bugles, pistols and swords? Both mounted and dismounted. A bit difficult to control a charging horse I would think.

We really have been just following the sales, for example: Polish Lancers sold out in 90 days. Chassuers A'Cheval sold down to just a few remaining sets in 60 days.

So clearly the sales are now driving the products. This release was bumped up to 400 sets and we just keep pushing the action as always. In this case we tried to make each pose as compelling as possible. Action is what we're all about at TCS. Enjoy and thanks for the feedback, its the only way we can improve the products.:)

Best regards,

Brian

This is a brave move, since K&C already produced an excellent set on the same troops.

Well there ya go, thats the beauty of the industry and differing tastes. Some people like this and some folks like that.

The free market is an amazing thing. We get to choose what we like.

We think we're offering a totally different style of product, and apparently alot of folks like it! KC figures are excellent, well executed pieces of art, we just prefer a bit more realism! Cheers and thank for the input, at the end of the day its great to hear :)

Scots.jpg

We really have been just following the sales, for example: Polish Lancers sold out in 90 days. Chassuers A'Cheval sold down to just a few remaining sets in 60 days.

So clearly the sales are now driving the products. This release was bumped up to 400 sets and we just keep pushing the action as always. In this case we tried to make each pose as compelling as possible. Action is what we're all about at TCS. Enjoy and thanks for the feedback, its the only way we can improve the products.:)

Best regards,

Brian
Yes even though well trained horses are controlled as much or more by leg commands than the reins, I would agree that dropping the reins in a charge is not something that most troopers would do. That said, control in a full charge was somewhat of an illusion, especially for the British cavalry of that time and in particular units like the Greys that had no prior battle experience. I do much prefer the style and look of these Greys to the earlier competition.

I would sell your K&C set and get this set.

The troopers look like the best done yet version of the Greys at this scale and the action is quite believable in this release. The horse sculpts seem also nice but the uniformity of the grey coloring is a bit of a stretch. Grey horses are actually rather varied in shades and dappling. Still I think this is the best CS mounted set yet.

Have to agree with you Bill.

Not everyone collects K&C and it is nice to have some variety.

Well there ya go, thats the beauty of the industry and differing tastes. Some people like this and some folks like that.

The free market is an amazing thing. We get to choose what we like.

We think we're offering a totally different style of product, and apparently alot of folks like it! KC figures are excellent, well executed pieces of art, we just prefer a bit more realism! Cheers and thank for the input, at the end of the day its great to hear :)

Scots.jpg

I love looking at side by sides of each manufacturers take on the same subject. I like to see what has been left out or added.

Cheers Brian and good luck on this fantastic new release.

What Napoleonic collectors really need are more line infantry, preferably Fusiliers. CS and K&C have done Voltiguers and Grenadiers but no center line companies. The backbone of any French Napoleonic army they can be used in columns against the British lines or against the Scotts Grey cavalry.

Any Napoleonic series are welcome but since K&C did this subject I will wait for other new releases.

Its nice to see a comparison shot and, what I did was show my wife who has no interest about this era and range of figures (knows lots about other ranges) and asked her which she prefered in style and painting.

Without any hesitation she picked the CS and said they looked more realistic and painted in a more natural way. She also said and I agree that the horses poses were more realistic for what a horse would be like in movement.

So, don't really know what that proves (probably that they are really good figures) but, they certainly look great and seemingly, on first inspection doing what CS want.

Its the second time on this site this week that I have used the word innovative towards a manufacturer for doing something to move the hobby on and at a reasonable price. Both times it was CS who it was aimed at. My wife is now saying I should get one each of these sets!!!!!!!1
Mitch

What Napoleonic collectors really need are more line infantry, preferably Fusiliers. CS and K&C have done Voltiguers and Grenadiers but no center line companies. The backbone of any French Napoleonic army they can be used in columns against the British lines or against the Scotts Grey cavalry.

Any Napoleonic series are welcome but since K&C did this subject I will wait for other new releases.

Would you be kind enough to throw out some ideas, specific units you'd like to see. Lets see what we can do!:)

Cheers,

Brian

Well, despite the absence of French center line companies in TS land (and I'd like them too), at Waterloo many light companies actually performed not as skirmishers but as battalion companies, firing in line or column as the rest of the battalion, and why the light regiments weren't evenly spread through the corps (Reille had 10 light battalions under his command).

Would you be kind enough to throw out some ideas, specific units you'd like to see. Lets see what we can do!:)

Cheers,

Brian

I can understand where nysoldiers is coming from; because certain French units had uniquely colorful uniforms, we very often see these represented (understandably) in the limited number of regiments any manufacturer can offer. But as NYS says, the center company accounted for 4 of every 6 companies per battalion. Given of what I have seen of CS releases, you have chosen units as they might have been both visually and dramatically featured in particular engagments (at least in the Waterloo Campaign). The 45th Ligne, is, of course, the most notable for having lost its Eagle and has been represented by K&C, the 61st by First Legion, but there were 36 regiments apart from the Guard regiments, all engaged at Waterloo, and I would agree that a "center" company would be welcomed. I am personally fond of the 5th Ligne, not because they had any particular distinction at Waterloo but because this was the first of several regiments to confront Napoleon on his return march to Paris following his exile in Elba. I would have recommended one of the line regiments that assaulted La Haye Sainte, but, in fact, the French units under Ney that were finally successful in taking the farm were one light and one engineering company.

With that said, I do like the look of your Scots Greys. Sorry to be so long-winded. :)

I thought I would compare the two Scots Greys together using different poses to those Brian showed; I think the photos enable a better comparison because essentially they are a very similar pose – charging, with sword drawn.

RSG.jpg

The horses look very different with regards to colour. I believe the KC horse’s mouth should be closed, based on the comments of the ‘horsey’ members of the forum but I prefer the colour of the KC one, it looks more realistic. The CS looks more like it is made of china, well at least in the pictures. However, the detail on the CS horse bridle looks far more detailed. The largest difference is in the detail of the cavalryman and I believe CS wins hands-down; I also find the colour palette more realistic.

Keep up the great work Brian

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back