New Releases for April 2024 - American Civil War (1 Viewer)

Julie

Administrator
Staff member
NEW RELEASES FOR APRIL 2024
THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR
1[SUP]st[/SUP] CHEROKEE MOUNTED RIFLES

The 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Cherokee Mounted Rifles was a Confederate States Army regiment which fought in the Indian Territory during the American Civil War.

chk-05_2_.jpg

It was formed from the merger of two predecessor units, the First Regiment of Cherokee Mounted Rifles and the Second Regiment of Cherokee Mounted Rifles.
The first commander was Col. John Drew, while the commander of the second regiment was Stand Watie.

CHK-05
THE AMERICAN CIVIL WAR 1861 - 1865
THE CONFEDERATE ARMY,
1[SUP]st[/SUP] CHEROKEE MOUNTED RIFLES,
TROOPER

Brigadier-General Stand Watie (December 12[SUP]th[/SUP], 1806 – September 9[SUP]th[/SUP] 1871) was a Cherokee politician who served as the second principal chief of the Cherokee Nation from 1862 to 1866.
The Cherokee Nation allied with the Confederate States during the American Civil War and he was the only Native American Confederate General officer of the war.
Watie commanded the forces in the Trans-Mississippi Theatre, made up mostly of Cherokee, Muskogee and Seminole.
He was the last Confederate Staes Army general to surrender.

During the Civil War, Watie's troops participated in twenty-seven major engagements and numerous smaller skirmishes. Although some of the engagements were set-piece battles, most of their activities utilized guerrilla tactics.

The Battle of Pea Ridge (March 7-8[SUP]th[/SUP], 1862) took place near Leetown, northeast of Fayetteville, Arkansas.
Pea Ridge was the first sizable battle of the Civil War to involve Native American troops, mostly because their current homeland lay only a few miles west of the battlefield. These Tribes, including the Cherokee, had lived in the Indian Territory, now the state of Oklahoma, ever since their removal from ancestral homelands in the southeastern states a quarter-century before the war.
Watie’s Mounted Rifles welcomed the opportunity to participate in the Pea Ridge Campaign, as it was a chance to show they were a worthwhile ally of the Confederacy.
They were to make a colourful and controversial contribution. During the battle the two Cherokee regiments, perhaps 1,000 strong along with 200 Texas cavalry, charged and took a three gun Union artillery battery.
They swept out of the woods, knocking down a fence in front of them, and charged across the field, swarming over a three gun battery before the startled crews could respond. The artillerymen fled with their horses, leaving the guns behind unspiked.
At this point experienced, disciplined troops would have established security, or continued the pursuit of their fleeing enemy. Neither was done. Instead the Cherokee milled around the guns they had taken, examining their prizes and collecting souvenirs. Others exhaulted in having survived, yelling and whooping victoriously.
It was a normal reaction for green troops after a first experience of combat, and one that was often repeated throughout those early years of the war.
The failiure of the officers to take charge of the situation was to cost them the fruits of their victory.
While the celebrations were taking place, Union officers deployed two additional batteries and supporting infantry to retake the guns.

The exploits of Stand Watie and his Confederate Mounted Rifles were brilliant and militarily glorious, but strategically sterile. Two years of raids could not loosen the Union grip on Fort Gibson.

The Cherokees not only were the most numerous of the Five Tribes, but they had assimilated more with white culture than the Choctaw, Creek, Chickasaw, or Seminole. They were the only Native Americans to create a written form of their language and they published a newspaper in that language. Many Cherokees adopted the white man’s dress and most began to utilize American farming methods. Cherokee lawyers brought cases defending their desire to remain in Georgia and North Carolina to the United States Supreme Court. A handful of elite Cherokees operated large plantations with African-American slave labor.

ARTILLERY

CSART-18
CONFEDERATE ARTILLERY,
ARTILLERY CREW

THE BATTLE OF BRANDY STATION, JUNE 9[SUP]th[/SUP], 1863
UNION CAVALRY ,CHARGING

The Battle Of Brandy Station, also called the Battle of Fleetwood Hill, was the largest predominantly cavalry engagement of the American Civil War, as well as the largest ever to take place on American soil. It was fought on June 9[SUP]th[/SUP], 1863, around Brandy Station, Virginia at the beginning of the Gettysburg Campaign by the Union cavalry under Maj.Gen. Alfred Pleasonton against Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart’s Confederate cavalry.
After an all day fight in which fortunes changed repeatedly, the Federals retired without discovering Gen. Robert E. Lee’s infantry camped near Culpeper. This battle marked the end of the Confederate cavalry’s dominance in the East.
From this point in the war the Federal cavalry gained strength and confidence.

usbs-06_2_.jpg

The Battle saw nine thousand Union cavalrymen and three thousand Union infantry clash with ten thousand Confederate horsemen. The fighting lasted for roughly twelve hours and covered dozens of square miles.

Unknown to the Confederates, 12,000 Union men had massed on the other side of the Rappahannock River.
Maj. Gen. Alfred Pleasonton, commanding the Cavalry Corps of the Army of The Potomac, had organized his combined armed forces into two wings, under Brig. Gen. John Buford and David McMurtrie Gregg, augmented by infantry brigades from the V Corps.
Buford’s wing, accompanied by Pleasonton, consisted of his own 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Cavalry Division, a reserve brigade led by Maj. Charles J. Whiting, and an infantry brigade of 3,000 men under Brig. Gen. Adelbert Ames.

Gregg’s wing was the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Cavalry Division, led by Col. Alfred N. Duffie, the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Cavalry Division led by Gregg, and an infantry brigade under Brig. Gen. David A. Russell.

The commander of the Army of the Potomac, Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker, interpreted the enemy’s cavalry presence around Culpeper to be indicative of preparations for a raid of his army’s supply lines. In reaction to this, he ordered Pleasonton’s force on a “spoiling raid”, to “disperse and destroy” the Confederates.
Pleasonton’s attack plan called for a two-pronged thrust at the enemy. Buford’s wing would cross the river at Beverly’s Ford, two miles northeast of Brandy Station, at the same time, Gregg would cross at Kelly’s Ford, six miles downstream to the southeast.
Pleasonton anticipated that the Southern cavalry would be caught in a double envelopment, surprised, outnumbered, and beaten.
He was, however, unaware of the precise disposition of the enemy and he incorrectly assumed that his force was substantially larger than the Confederates he faced.

Both sides at Brandy Station were armed in a similar manner. For mounted combat, cavalrymen carried light cavalry sabers and pistols. Some Confederate cavalry carried more than one pistol, or a shotgun, and basically used what they could get a hold of.
In a melee or skirmish, there was no intrinsic superiority of pistol over a saber. Even an excellent shot found hitting a moving mounted enemy target difficult, and sabers had the advantage they did not need to be reloaded. The saber had the advantage of intimidation during a charge, with many defenders breaking when faced by a crowd of riders waving sabers, even before the charging troops reached them.

A typical cavalry charge against cavalry was a relatively rare occurrence, usually with one side or the other breaking and bolting before contact. If hand to hand combat ensued, the fighting was confusing, vicious and protracted. If one side committed reserve squadrons to the fray, they often carried the day.

usbs2-06_2_.jpg
usbs2-06.jpg

USBS2-06
THE BATTLE OF BRANDY STATION, JUNE 9[SUP]th[/SUP], 1863,
THE ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
CAVALRY CORPS,
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] US CAVALRY REGIMENT

usbs-06_1_.jpg

USBS-06
THE BATTLE OF BRANDY STATION, JUNE 9[SUP]th[/SUP], 1863,
THE ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
CAVALRY CORPS
UNION CAVALRY

THE 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] NEW JERSEY CAVALRY REGIMENT 1864.
“THE BUTTERFLIES”

us3nj-02_5_.jpg

Towards the war’s end most of the Federal cavalry were equipped and supplied via centralized depots, one of the units which stood out as belonging to another time and place was the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] New Jersey Cavalry, or the “Butterflies”, a nickname they were given for their flamboyant attire.

Raised initially in January 1864 as the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] U.S. Hussars, they were dressed in such splendour previously unseen in other Federal cavalry regiments, which was deliberate in an attempt to attract new recruits.
Yet their appearance was deceptive, as they were the embodiment of what the Union cavalryman had become by 1865. They were heavily armed with repeating Spencer carbines and .44 Remington revolvers which gave them the edge in skirmishes and melees with rebel cavalry and infantry units.
The state paid for the additions to the regulation cavalry uniform, the cap was the issue forage cap with the peak removed, extra braid was placed on the jacket and the remainder was US army regulation.

US3NJ-03
UNION ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
3[SUP]rd[/SUP] NEW JERSEY CAVALRY REGIMENT, 1864,
“THE BUTTERFLIES”,
DISMOUNTED TROOPERS.
(3 pcs)

This unit was typical of the new horse soldier which served under General Sheridan, they no longer merely served as a screen for advancing infantry. They possessed tremendous fire power and had the ability to hit the enemy hard and fast. They had eveloved into a powerful force capable of independent action.
The 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] New Jersey would serve with distinction until the war’s end routing southern cavalry at Tom’s Brook, Virginia, and seeing action at the Battle of Five Forks, which helped force Lee’s battered army out of its fortifications around Petersburg.

US3NJ-03A
“THE BUTTERFLIES”,
DISMOUNTED TROOPER.
(1 pc)

US3NJ-03B

“THE BUTTERFLIES”,
DISMOUNTED TROOPER.
(1 pc)

US3NJ-03C

“THE BUTTERFLIES”,
DISMOUNTED TROOPER.
(1 pc)

** PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL DEALER FOR FURTHER INFORMATION**

I really like the look of the 1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles figure with what looks to be a double barrel shotgun. I only have the flag bearer so far, but I may have to just compete the entire unit with the rest of the releases.

Also it's nice to see the Union cavalry figures coming out! I have to say I'm a little confused with the red piping. I see there are two options for colors. Yellow was the standard piping for the cavalry branch; red you see for artillery. I can't find any evidence of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry wearing red piping, but there might be. I'd love to know why John chose to release two options...

The 2nd U.S. were allowed to keep their orange trimmed jackets until stock ran out. The orange trim goes back to pre war when dragoon jackets were trimmed in that color. There is evidence that a lot of the jackets were still in use up until 1863. Hope this helps!

Travis

The 2nd U.S. were allowed to keep their orange trimmed jackets until stock ran out. The orange trim goes back to pre war when dragoon jackets were trimmed in that color. There is evidence that a lot of the jackets were still in use up until 1863. Hope this helps!

Travis

There was a Troiani print of many yrs ago depicting some of the pre-war dragoons with the orange piping mixed with the later yellow trimmed cavalry.

IMG_6284.jpeg
Here is the the print he did for the 2nd Cav trumpeter.
I haven’t decided what I’m going to do either. I might just stay with the regular yellow trim figure. However I’ll probably end up getting both! Lol

Travis

Thank you, Travis! I did a little more searching and found this info from a reenactor site describing all of the 2nd U.S. equipment...

The 2nd Dragoons were re-designated the 2nd U.S. Cavalry in August 1861. At that time there were several
changes in the regulation uniforms and equipment. However, the older Dragoon items were not discarded and continued in use until they became unserviceable. It is appropriate to use a smattering of these earlier items,
even for late war events, especially if your impression is of a veteran solider with prior Dragoon service.

Mounted Services Shell Jacket. Dark blue wool with yellow trim. This jacket has 12 buttons on the front (artillery wore the same jacket trimmed in red). This was the issued jacket worn with the dress uniform, but it was also used in the field. The dress uniform, included brass shoulder scales. Pride in the old Dragoon units remained high, and some veterans wore the “Dragoon Orange” trim on their jackets throughout the war.

Now I just have to decide which color I'd like. Or should I do a mix? I wonder how many were actually still wearing the orange piping at Brandy Station? I wish there was more visual paintings and such of this unit. Would love to see that Troiani painting. Might be safe to just go with the yellow...idk...

Link here of some of the art based on the 2nd U.S.

https://www.angelfire.com/va3/dragoons/Art.htm

Still have no idea which color to go with...ugh! It might be safe to go with a mix seeing how some veterans still wore the orange and the newer soldiers in the ranks would have the standard yellow. And it's the third year of the war by now too. What do y'all think?

Last edited:
This discussion is another example of the research John puts into his offerings. Pretty neat.

Mike

One can assume that two versions will be offered for each figure, but what about the guidon? Would it be unit specific?

Most federal cavalry units carried the Stars and Stripes swallowed tail guidon. I’m thinking John will make several different units that were at Brandy Station and may offer up other flag choices that could go with the figures with the yellow trim. For example the 1st Maine. I could also be way off base!

I think I'll wait a bit and see how the rest of the releases play out before I make a final decision on the colors and go through with purchasing any figures.

So many great ACW releases. I have bern in on everything in this range. I am going with the general service yellow for the mounted Union cav so i can integrate him with my other cavalry figures. Although i am strongly committed to my ACW collecting i really dont need to start creating another cavalry unit…. All in on the 3rd NJ though

Ordered Union cavalry with yellow trim plus all other sets in this release.

I originally thought about passing on the Brandy Station sets simply because I have all but run out of display space. However I still have some available space on my 1st Manassas/Bull Run table. I am now thinking about collecting the US Cavalry figures with the orange Dragoon piping to represent the 2nd US Dragoons, Company K which was part of the US Cavalry force at Bull Run.

Mike

There was a Troiani print of many yrs ago depicting some of the pre-war dragoons with the orange piping mixed with the later yellow trimmed cavalry.

THe print referred to is actually by Don Stivers, another very talented ACW artist. It depicts the Second Cavalry going into action, the troopers on the right in the first and second rank have the dragoon orange piping. I couldn't find the description but remember it mentioned the former dragoons wearing that color.
As noted in a history of the 2nd Cavalry: The2nd Cavalry Regiment, was also known as the 2nd Dragoons, C Company was the last unit of the regiment to fight as dragoons, during the Battle of Wilson's Creek
s-l1600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back