New Releases for January 2021 - The Crusades (1 Viewer)

Julie

Administrator
Staff member
NEW RELEASES FOR JANUARY 2021
THE CRUSADES
EL CID AND THE RECONQUISTA
THE ALMORAVIDS

The Almoravids, also known as the Murabits, were a fundamentalist Islamic movement of the 11[SUP]th[/SUP] and 12[SUP]th[/SUP] Centuries. Founded by Ibn Yasin, in southern Morocco, they combined devotion to Islam with a fierce military tradition, and a desire to conquer. In 1070, the Almoravids established their capital city at Marrakesh, which at the time, was little more than a mosque in the desert surrounded by the tents of the faithful.

alm-01_3_.jpg

alm-01_1_.jpg

ALM-01
THE CRUSADES,
EL CID AND THE RECONQUISTA,
THE ALMORAVIDS,
YUSUF IBN TASHFIN.
(2 pcs)

YUSUF IBN TASHFIN, who is better known to westerners as “Ben Yusuf”, was undoubtedly the greatest leader of the Almoravid movement. A pious and compassionate man, as well as a ruthless and charismatic leader in battle.
He rose to prominence as the commander of the northern part of the Almoravid empire in the 1070’s and became sole leader of the movement upon the death of Abu Bakr in 1087.
Having conquered all of morocco, he turned his attention to Spain, and invaded in 1086. He led his army to a great victory over the Christians at the battle of Zalaca in October 1086.
By 1089 he had decided to depose the Andalusian Taifa kings, and take their kingdoms for the Almoravid empire. Following the fall of the Taifa kings, Yusuf concentrated his forces against the Christians, in particular the outpost castle of Aledo near Granada, and Valencia, which El Cid had conquered in 1094.
Aledo finally fell in 1091, but Valencia held out against all of Yusuf’s attempts to retake it.
Yusuf was to outlive the Cid (who died in 1099) and finally saw Valencia fall into Almoravid hands in the spring of 1102.
Yusuf was to eventually die in 1106, and was succeeded by one of his many sons, Ali Ibn Yusuf.

alm-01_2_.jpg

CRU-27_2_.jpg

The Crusades were a series of religious wars initiated and often supported directly by the catholic church between the 11[SUP]th[/SUP] and the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century.
The Crusades differed from other religious conflicts in that they were considered a penance by the participants that brought forgiveness for confessed sin.
In 1095 Pope Urban II proclaimed the First Crusade at the council of Clermont. He encouraged military support for the Byzantine Emperor against the Seljuk Turks, and an armed pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

CRU-26.jpg

CRU-26
THE CRUSADES,
CRUSADER SWORDSMAN.
(1 pcs)

CRU-27.jpg

CRU-27
THE CRUSADES,
WOUNDED CRUSADER SWORDSMAN.
(1 pc)

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL DEALER FOR FURTHER INFORMATION

I know El Zilcho about this historical period but that is a fantastic looking figure.

What the hell, I am in. I have a few K n C Saracens and some JJD Crusaders. I love the black of the Almoravids. Also many of the El CID and JJD Crusaders can double as Normans

Do we know where these Crusaders, that are variations of the Norman figures fit in? I'm clear on the El Cid range and these Almoravids are at least one of their enemies, but can't figure out who these Norman Crusaders are battling. TIA

Do we know where these Crusaders, that are variations of the Norman figures fit in? I'm clear on the El Cid range and these Almoravids are at least one of their enemies, but can't figure out who these Norman Crusaders are battling. TIA
I assume the “Norman style Crusaders” are not really meantto go with the El CID range. The red crosses wouldn’t be historically correct, but it won’t stop me, the6 will still look great together.

NEW RELEASES FOR JANUARY 2021
THE CRUSADES
EL CID AND THE RECONQUISTA
THE ALMORAVIDS

The Almoravids, also known as the Murabits, were a fundamentalist Islamic movement of the 11[SUP]th[/SUP] and 12[SUP]th[/SUP] Centuries. Founded by Ibn Yasin, in southern Morocco, they combined devotion to Islam with a fierce military tradition, and a desire to conquer. In 1070, the Almoravids established their capital city at Marrakesh, which at the time, was little more than a mosque in the desert surrounded by the tents of the faithful.

alm-01_3_.jpg

alm-01_1_.jpg

ALM-01
THE CRUSADES,
EL CID AND THE RECONQUISTA,
THE ALMORAVIDS,
YUSUF IBN TASHFIN.
(2 pcs)

YUSUF IBN TASHFIN, who is better known to westerners as “Ben Yusuf”, was undoubtedly the greatest leader of the Almoravid movement. A pious and compassionate man, as well as a ruthless and charismatic leader in battle.
He rose to prominence as the commander of the northern part of the Almoravid empire in the 1070’s and became sole leader of the movement upon the death of Abu Bakr in 1087.
Having conquered all of morocco, he turned his attention to Spain, and invaded in 1086. He led his army to a great victory over the Christians at the battle of Zalaca in October 1086.
By 1089 he had decided to depose the Andalusian Taifa kings, and take their kingdoms for the Almoravid empire. Following the fall of the Taifa kings, Yusuf concentrated his forces against the Christians, in particular the outpost castle of Aledo near Granada, and Valencia, which El Cid had conquered in 1094.
Aledo finally fell in 1091, but Valencia held out against all of Yusuf’s attempts to retake it.
Yusuf was to outlive the Cid (who died in 1099) and finally saw Valencia fall into Almoravid hands in the spring of 1102.
Yusuf was to eventually die in 1106, and was succeeded by one of his many sons, Ali Ibn Yusuf.

alm-01_2_.jpg

CRU-27_2_.jpg

The Crusades were a series of religious wars initiated and often supported directly by the catholic church between the 11[SUP]th[/SUP] and the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century.
The Crusades differed from other religious conflicts in that they were considered a penance by the participants that brought forgiveness for confessed sin.
In 1095 Pope Urban II proclaimed the First Crusade at the council of Clermont. He encouraged military support for the Byzantine Emperor against the Seljuk Turks, and an armed pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

CRU-26.jpg

CRU-26
THE CRUSADES,
CRUSADER SWORDSMAN.
(1 pcs)

CRU-27.jpg

CRU-27
THE CRUSADES,
WOUNDED CRUSADER SWORDSMAN.
(1 pc)

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL DEALER FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Julie, do you know if there are Saracens in the works as part of the Crusader range?

thanks

I received the Yusuf figure today. Very striking. Can't wait to see more of these figures in painted form. I have no historical knowledge of this line but they look great.

I received the Yusuf figure today. Very striking. Can't wait to see more of these figures in painted form. I have no historical knowledge of this line but they look great.

Congratulations. Hoping to receive mine tomorrow . . . Very anxious to get it. Have already pre-ordered the Almoravid mounted bannerman.
Mike

The mounted flag bearer is quite stunning.....love the detail on the flag and horse. Johns done an amazing job. :salute::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back