New Releases for May 2021 - The Second World War (1 Viewer)

Julie

Administrator
Staff member
NEW RELEASES FOR MAY 2021
THE SECOND WORLD WAR
GERMAN ARMOUR

The Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf B. Tiger II, commonly referred to as the King Tiger, was the successor to the legendary Tiger I heavy tank. It was designed to be even more heavily armed and armored than its iconic predecessor. Like the Panther tank, it incorporated design improvements gleaned from combat experience on the Eastern Front. The King Tiger was armed with the finest tank gun of WW2, the dreaded long barreled 8.8 cm KwK. L/71. Coupled with excellent sighting optics, this cannon was capable of destroying any Allied tank with ease, while it's well sloped armor provided excellent protection. In fact, German armaments officials during the war stated the King Tiger's front profile was impervious to all Allied weapons and there is no evidence that the King Tiger's 150mm thick glacis plate was ever penetrated in combat. To defeat the King Tiger, Allied tanks would have to outflank it in order to take shots at its weaker side and rear armor. In the hands of a skilled crew, the King Tiger was a fearsome opponent.

This massive armament and extremely thick armor came at the price of weight, and at almost 70 tons the King Tiger was the heaviest production tank of World War Two. Due to engine technology limitations of the time, the King Tiger was underpowered, since it used the same 750 horsepower Maybach HL 230 engine found on the much lighter Tiger I and Panther tanks. Additionally, the massive weight of the King Tiger put enormous strain on engines, gears and drivetrains and led to early malfunctions and teething problems. Often, these issues were exasperated by inexperienced drivers (with only days or a few weeks of training) who did not adhere to engine limitations. Contrary to popular belief, though, the King Tiger was no lumbering behemoth. Once combat experience was gained, mechanical improvements were implemented and by the end of the war the operational availability rate of King Tigers was on par with the Panzer IV and actually better than the Panther. Furthermore, post-war testing showed the King Tiger displayed similar maneuverability to the Panther and Panzer IV and was actually more maneuverable than many Allied tanks.

Ultimately, too few King Tigers were produced to effect the outcome of the war, but the King Tiger remains one of the most deadly tanks of World War Two.

ga-50_1_.jpg

GA-50
THE SECOND WORLD WAR,
GERMAN ARMOUR,
PANZERKAMPFWAGEN VI AUSF B. TIGER II,
FACTORY “AMBUSH” CAMO
KING TIGER, LATE 1944.
(23 pcs)

Late in 1944 through the end of the war, German panzers were routinely rushed from the factory assembly centers directly to the front lines, often without time for the Panzer troops to apply turret numbers or other markings. This King Tiger is meant to represent one such vehicle. It features a historically accurate "soft edge" tri-camo pattern with the iconic camo dots that became widely known as "Ambush" or "Licht und Schatten" (Light and Shade) camo. The only other markings are Balkenkreuz (Baltic Cross) applied to each turret side at the factory. Historic pictures abound of King Tigers with nothing but ambush camo and turret Balkenkreuz on both the Western and Eastern Fronts.

Consequently, this ambush camo King Tiger is extremely flexible for collectors. While the inspiration for this model was a Kampfgruppe Peiper tank that fought with King Tiger #213 during the Battle of the Bulge, the model is just as accurate depicting a King Tiger from numerous other units. Some examples include the famous schwere Panzerabteilung 503 "Feldherrnhalle" fighting in Hungary or schwere SS Panzerabteilung 503 fighting in Berlin during the final desperate battle against the Russians.
Furthermore, most 1/35 scale King Tiger decals are compatible with this model if collectors want to depict their favorite specific unit.

This JJDESIGNS King Tiger comes with the following features:

- all hatches are fully operable and both open and close
- fully detailed turret interior and driver's crew compartment
- fully detailed and opening engine compartment
- removable side mudguards that can be individually attached to allow maximum display possibilities
- removable track links to attach to the side of the turret
- adjustable cupola mounted anti-aircraft machine-gun with historically correct armor sleeved MG-34

ga-50_2_.jpg

ga-50_3_.jpg

ga-50_4_.jpg

ga-50_5_.jpg

THIS MODEL IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER FROM YOUR LOCAL DEALER.
PRE-ORDERS WILL BE OPEN UNTIL MAY 31[SUP]st[/SUP]
PRODUCTION ESTIMATED AT 3-4 MONTHS (DEPENDING ON PRE-ORDERS)
PRE-ORDERED MODELS SHOULD THEREFORE BE SHIPPED WITH THE SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER RELEASES 2021.

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL DEALER FOR FURTHER INFORMATION

Absolutely perfect! This model looks epic and may be the best Tiger II made yet in the 1/30 scale range. I’m very happy John chose an ambush camouflage pattern for this as well. Definitely ordering this 😎

It's listed at $439.

Thanks, i have contacted the UK distributor, Grey Goose, to see what is the cost in the UK, but i think i would want to see it before buying, know John's stuff is excellent, but that is a large outlay.

I am not a big WW2 collector but will add this to the German amour acquired over the years from the likes of Thomas Gunn, K&C and Figarti. It looks a really nice piece and I am always in the market for quality items no mater what era or period of history - they all become irresistible in my eyes!

Gary

My 2 cents advice is to pre-order this and get it during this run. This piece has to be one of the most anticipated release in recent years for WW2 collectors. John has pushed the limits of what is possible for 1:30 and sets a new high standard for this one with all the internal bits and details. My German JJD tanks and WP tanks form now some of the best beasts in my collection. Nice details and comfortable weight.

With Covid and all the supply chain challenges in China, it is now difficult to secure premium factory capacity in recent years. By premium, I mean those factories that make the better products. So, there is no telling whether there will ever be a second run after this one.

Rgds,Chris

My 2 cents advice is to pre-order this and get it during this run. This piece has to be one of the most anticipated release in recent years for WW2 collectors. John has pushed the limits of what is possible for 1:30 and sets a new high standard for this one with all the internal bits and details. My German JJD tanks and WP tanks form now some of the best beasts in my collection. Nice details and comfortable weight.

With Covid and all the supply chain challenges in China, it is now difficult to secure premium factory capacity in recent years. By premium, I mean those factories that make the better products. So, there is no telling whether there will ever be a second run after this one.

Rgds,Chris
Good advice

At $600AUD will have to say no it's a beauty but the hobby is slowly becoming a exclusive club for the rich.
I would of preferred less internal detail etc and maybe the price would of been lower.
But like I said it is a beauty can wait to hear from others when they get theirs.

At $600AUD will have to say no it's a beauty but the hobby is slowly becoming a exclusive club for the rich.
I would of preferred less internal detail etc and maybe the price would of been lower.
But like I said it is a beauty can wait to hear from others when they get theirs.

I agree, £400 [approx] in the UK, around $540 US or $700 Aussie, is also a bit rich for me. I do think JJ has done an excellent job, but only a bit much for me is because i gauge it against what else i can buy and i am in the mist of building up my Saxons, Vikings, Aztecs and Roman Enemies. I wonder about the internal detail as well, for me could have done a little less internal and reduced the cost.

I am looking forward to seeing the crew, if there are any.

It does seem like it doesn't it. I remember when I thought $250 for a K&C tank was a princely sum. Now their Israeli Centurion is $399! Beautiful pieces from both John and K&C, but these prices are forcing hard choices.

It's an excellent King Tiger tank in 1/30 scale. But price is way out of my comfort zone (~$600 CAN). I agree with statement regarding internal details which drives up the cost and may not be necessary for most collectors...I will be looking forward to hear from collectors who purchase it and new pictures :)

WWII is not a strong collecting interest of mine with the exception of the USS Bunker Hill range. However I do have 2 of the JJD Jagdpanthers and 2 of John's Panzer I's, all of which are incredible models. My big up and coming and developing interest right now is the El Cid offerings and I do plan on purchasing a number of pieces of the castle facade when it is released later this year. I have a feeling this will be pricey also. I will be saving my budget for the castle and regrettably I too will pass on this incredible looking tiger.
Mike

It does seem like it doesn't it. I remember when I thought $250 for a K&C tank was a princely sum. Now their Israeli Centurion is $399! Beautiful pieces from both John and K&C, but these prices are forcing hard choices.

I feel, as i am sure many others do, your pain, I have found myself buying more figures over the past couple of years, tanks have been a bit pricey for me, but do get the T Gunn ones as they seem to be a bit more reasonable.

WWII is not a strong collecting interest of mine with the exception of the USS Bunker Hill range. However I do have 2 of the JJD Jagdpanthers and 2 of John's Panzer I's, all of which are incredible models. My big up and coming and developing interest right now is the El Cid offerings and I do plan on purchasing a number of pieces of the castle facade when it is released later this year. I have a feeling this will be pricey also. I will be saving my budget for the castle and regrettably I too will pass on this incredible looking tiger.
Mike

Ifelt the same on price about the Roman Marching fort, that was a bit pricey, I am waiting for the Roamn carriage but think that too will be a few pounds too high for me.

I really like the new Almoravids, the 3 mounted look excellent and the previews of the others in the range do look good, was thinking they would look great as a standalone group. John is making our toy soldier life very interesting, stimulating and frustrating at the same time.

I will leave the price debate etc. to others, I am just glad it is finally being released and sold via dealers.

Superb model! Exceeds all previous 1/30 scale KT models in the level of detail and accuracy. The opening hatches add great value in display flexibility. John Jenkins has done their research and the result sets a new standard of quality for this iconic Panzer!

Absolutely perfect! This model looks epic and may be the best Tiger II made yet in the 1/30 scale range. I’m very happy John chose an ambush camouflage pattern for this as well. Definitely ordering this 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back