New (2 Viewers)

Is anybody out there like me thinking that 2 new ranges might be the straw that broke the camels back?? With the KC dispatches anymore, I skim through the new stuff but don't bother looking too close as there is no way I can afford to add it right now. I jump down to the "Retired" section and select what I can afford or add to the wish list.

With collecting KC figures, I kind of feel like I am running a race and everytime I check in at the poles, I am just a couple seconds ahead of where I need to qualify. As much as I would like to see a new release of the Scottish wars of Independence (or perhaps anything of the last 50 years like Korea, Nam or the Falklands) there is no way I can hope to get any of it due to some of my other interests. At some point in time, I would like to buy some of the WW1 figures but, again, till they start getting retired in another year or so, it isn't a possibility. Even so, unless there is something really thrilling with these 2 new releases, I won't/ can't touch em until they start rolling into retirement.

So, I am left with cutting ranges back- which I can live with. The problem is, from a KC perspective- is that I am cutting back KC lines- I am not selling off any of my other figures- Britains, St. Pete or EoI but I am selling off KC. I just pushed my Russians and Pacific figures out the door this weekend (and am still doing that). Why does KC feel the need to throw two more ranges at us when they already have a fan base of their current ranges?? If you look at this from KC's standpoint, they had a dedicated fan of two ranges who just threw those two current ranges out the door for failure to progress. The risk they run is that I will be pulled in to one or both of these new lines, which, given my pretty narrow interests, is more likely not going to happen.

I know, economics is the answer- given the risk of launching a new line though, does economics really answer that question?? I think launching a new line presents risks (and rewards) commensurate to trying to rethink some of the other ranges that are out there.

I dunno man, I just gotta think that these 2 new lines might do a lot of people in- especially if they have a broad appeal- if they are kind of narrow- like the Crimea- then maybe it isn't a big deal.

Hi Chris,

I, for one, certainly share your concern. The only things I note anymore in the monthly dispatches are the announcements of any new figures/sets or any retirments in the lines I collect. I do not even look at information regarding any other lines as I have reached my limit and beyond of what I can afford. In fact, the retirement schedules occur so rapidly that attempting to keep up with the lines I already collect is a never ending and frustrating challenge.

As you probably know, my collection is characterized by great diversity and K&C figures are only a portion of what I collect. I have not yet reached a point of selling any of my K&C figures, but I am considering discontinuing some of the K&C lines I collect in order to concentrate on other toy soldier interests that do not present the new release/retirement issues that accompany collecting K&C. In short, my budget is stretched to the limit and I will, in all likelihood, not be collecting figures from new K&C lines. Further, since I am a bit of a completist, I may well spend my dollars on figures produced by other manufacturers that do not retire figures so quickly.

Like yourself, I wonder how many other collectors will be facing the same kind of difficult decisions regarding what figures/sets/lines/manufacturers to collect.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

At his talks, Andy has mentioned on numerous occasions that K&C cannot stand still. It did not become the industry leader by "sitting on its laurels." K&C constantly has to innovate and add new lines to keep ahead of its competition. New themes can bring in new collectors who may not like any of the themes now offered by K&C.

I am with you bud, I guess I just question how someone can say they are sitting on their laurels when they really just scratch the surface of some of these other lines. A good point, I think anyway, is comparing "The Yanks" with the Battle of the Bulge Americans- The Yanks had 3 sets. A few years later, here we go with the Battle of the Bulge stuff- why not just have continued with the Yanks from square one?? What happened that made snowy Americans less attractive to collectors in 99/00 versus when the Bulge came out?? I'm sure he'd like an answer to that just like the next guy:D

I'm just making a fuss- why?? I dunno, it's too doggone of a nice day outside and it's Friday so I need to get a life. :D

I guess I just question what collectors he can really hope to rally to the KC standard given that this is something "no one had done before"- I would think after a century or so, the toy soldier industry would have shaken out to what is popular and sells. If it hasn't been done, maybe it just isn't there to be done- who knows though, this is why I am just some schmuck CPA and not a TS manufacturer- we have the imagination of an unused crayon.

I understand Chris' position and feel the pain.

But, Steven is right - to maintain a successful business you have to always be pushing that edge. New is exciting and keeps interest up - especially when the figures are from a period that no one has done before !

I for one love that new K&C UK Charge Line - its is wonderful - but, I have to budget for a item that costs double of what I can buy for my other ranges that I collect. Don't get me wrong - I think they are worth the money - for sure.

Its all about choices and priorities. You know sometimes you have to accept that you can't have everything in the candy store. :D

Its all about choices and priorities. You know sometimes you have to accept that you can't have everything in the candy store. :D

Nonsense- Caesar wants candy, Caesar gets candy or sacks the store and takes the candy.............

I'm just whining today fellas, we'll see how it all shakes out in the end. I am sure it will be a hit. Irrespective, even if the lines are a hit, I will freely admit that even if the line is something I like, then I still won't be able to touch em until they go into the Old Soldiers Home (ie get retired).

Admittedly, my collecting strategy is all bass ackwards. :eek:

I guess to look at it from another angle- does quantity equal quality??

KC seems to take some pretty vicious heat rounds with some of you guys- the "90% ers" who look for detail issues. Perhaps they are pushing things too quickly to market when maybe delaying a release a month or two might clean up some of the discrepancies.

It seems as if the pre- 2004, when the distributions were not as frequent (my dates may be off here), figures are the ones who have achieved higher levels of "dollar value". And I may be out of line here but take a company like JJ designs- he limits his products to 3-500 sets and it seems, as I am gauging from the chatter in his threads, that some of his releases, which can't be more than a few years old are hitting some pretty high "values" on the secondary market.

Alright, I'll shutup, I'm beating an already beaten horse here. Somebody post a diorama or pictures or something already...................:eek:

That high dollar is great for resale but kills us keepers who have to replace the occasional retired battlefield casualty:D.

That high dollar is great for resale but kills us keepers who have to replace the occasional retired battlefield casualty:D.

I hear you brother- I still got one of my old German KC Panzerschrek troops that my little son Andrew smashed off the concrete floor here in the basement- that's how toy soldiers look though and I wouldn't trade that soldier for a million fixed ones.

You must have forgotten to tell him Panzerschrek were LEG Infantry no Airborne drops:eek:. That said, how about some more medic figures;).

Come on Andy Custer and more Crusaders! Hope your reading the requests of a humble collector. Thanks Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back