New (2 Viewers)

Aw darn! :cool:

But thanks for letting us know! :D

I guess my Monarch Regalia (and East of India and Del Prado) samurai will have to wait a while longer for another worthy opponent to appear.

CS,

What do you think about the Del Prado figures? are they better than the Napoleonic releases?

Jeff

Hi Guys,

I talked to Andy this morning and he told me to let you know that our two new series are not from the Samurai Era or Aztecs/Conquistadors.

But that’s all I’m saying :D

Happy Collecting!

KC makes decisons based on what will sell in the US and UK - that should narrow things down considerably. So my guess is Custer, Zulu (the Brits love that one), Seven Years War (N. America and Europe) or maybe a long shot like the Trojan War. I don't think ranges like Falklands, Boer, Franco-Prussian would have sufficient interest in the US to be considered likely.

CS,

What do you think about the Del Prado figures? are they better than the Napoleonic releases?

Jeff

I can't compare them directly to Del Prado's Napoleonic line since I don't have any of those, but I have seen their earlier WW2 stuff and I think the samurai (and other more recent releases) are far superior. Not sure about the Napoleonic releases. I can tell you that for the cheap price they go for, the Del Prado figures are superb. I have 6 samurai and I definitely recommend them. They tend to be in rather static poses, and inevitably a bit of paint gets rubbed off a part or two in the packaging, but their armor and sword scabbards are very detailed and well rendered. Del Prado make a number of famous samurai that no one else has done. If they were a little bit more refined, and had some action poses, the Del Prado samurai could stand in as a K&C line. Or perhaps form the basis for a future samurai line since Del Prado is owned by K&C I believe.

I can't compare them directly to Del Prado's Napoleonic line since I don't have any of those, but I have seen their earlier WW2 stuff and I think the samurai (and other more recent releases) are far superior. Not sure about the Napoleonic releases. I can tell you that for the cheap price they go for, the Del Prado figures are superb. I have 6 samurai and I definitely recommend them. They tend to be in rather static poses, and inevitably a bit of paint gets rubbed off a part or two in the packaging, but their armor and sword scabbards are very detailed and well rendered. Del Prado make a number of famous samurai that no one else has done. If they were a little bit more refined, and had some action poses, the Del Prado samurai could stand in as a K&C line. Or perhaps form the basis for a future samurai line since Del Prado is owned by K&C I believe.

Thanks CS, I have only seen the Samurai on the DP web site and they looked quite a bit better than the earlier Naps. I agree the DP figures price wise have to be the best deal on the market. Del Prado is a large Spainish partwork publisher, and I belive K&C have designed various figure ranges for them.

Thanks

Jeff

Like I have said all along - the Collector Club Figures tell you where Andy is going. ;)

On the other set - I think I know what it is........

1835 - 1842 Seminole Indian War :D

(actually it was the 2nd - The 1st was 1817-1818)

Very well known and popular. ;)

Where are the Hittites! They are so much more popular than this Seminole War thing:p. I could go for Custer until I remember he got chopped to pieces:(. Well, I guess I'll stick with India and Flashy:D. At least he knew how to survive and profit by it;).

Where are the Hittites! They are so much more popular than this Seminole War thing:p. I could go for Custer until I remember he got chopped to pieces:(. Well, I guess I'll stick with India and Flashy:D. At least he knew how to survive and profit by it;).

FLASHY...??? He's thaah MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN....!!!!:D:D;)

Andrew,

I had a strange dream last night. I was standing on the Central Asian Steppes watching as a Golden Horde of Mongol Warriors galloped by.
Went back to sleep, and found myself on the Trojan Ramparts chatting to Hector about the finer points of horsehair helmet plumes.

I now know what the new ranges are.......;);):cool:

Actually, I don't think a Trajan war range is on the cards, although another Asian one might be and I can't think of a better subject than the Mongols.
However, I'd pass on both of these for a Flashman range. Doesn't even have to be a Flashman range either. Just a 19th Century British Empire one - with the occasional figure who look's either terrified or smarmy, depending on the situation - and has a magnificent set of mutton-chop whiskers.
You could kill two birds with one stone and have a 2nd Opium War sub-range.
Asian AND Flashy.

Cheers
H

You could kill two birds with one stone and have a 2nd Opium War sub-range.
Asian AND Flashy.

Cheers
H

And thinking about it, some of the existing IC figures fit right into a 2nd Opium War sub-range.
I'm thinking specifically of that huge Imp Cannon.
A lot of figures on the Brit side would also be suitable for the Sepoy Mutiny an' all.
Fingers (and legs) crossed that it'll come about.
Cheers
H

I actually Asked about K&C's association with Del Prado and Gordon said they did sculpts for the first couple of series and have since stopped. Someone else is doing there sculpts now.
Ray

... Or perhaps form the basis for a future samurai line since Del Prado is owned by K&C I believe.
Del Prado is a Spanish publishing company and not owned by K&C. Del Prado specializes in magazines that include a gift like a figure, car or piece of a larger model -- I understand this type of magazine is very popular in Europe. Del Prado commissions all or most of their figures from K&C.:)

I had heard about the fact they are bundled with magazines, hence the mass market allowing economies of scale which translates to their cheap price. The collector's club figures also come bundled with Osprey information booklets now. I wonder who owns the rights to the figure molds themselves - K&C or Del Prado? Despite what it says on the box, maybe it's not correct to call them "Del Prado" figures if they're simply a magazine and not the actual manufacturer. Maybe we should refer to them henceforth as "K&C Lite" figures. :) Same thing for whoever is doing their sculpts now.

Del Prado owns the rights to the figures since they commissioned them i.e. paid for their sculpting. This lead to the unusual situation a few years ago when Michigan Toy Soldier obtained the rights to the early Del Prado figures done by K&C and starting selling them.:eek: I am not sure if K&C has attempted to change this agreement with the new Del Prado themes they are producing.:)

there had been lots of del prado look alike figures on sale in local toy shops in Hong Kong only for US$5 or less each (without the booklet and no del prado signature at the bottom of the bases, of course).

I'm sure tonnes more of them are in China.:p

Del Prado owns the rights to the figures since they commissioned them i.e. paid for their sculpting. This lead to the unusual situation a few years ago when Michigan Toy Soldier obtained the rights to the early Del Prado figures done by K&C and starting selling them.:eek: I am not sure if K&C has attempted to change this agreement with the new Del Prado themes they are producing.:)

Steven

I dont think many of the forum members understand the issues between King & Country and Michigan Toy Soldier Company which would cause a :eek:

Ron

Steven

I dont think many of the forum members understand the issues between King & Country and Michigan Toy Soldier Company which would cause a :eek:

Ron

For those who are members of TF for more than 18 months, the issues are well known. Also by those who are collecting for more than 18 months, too.

Pierre.

For those who are members of TF for more than 18 months, the issues are well known. Also by those who are collecting for more than 18 months, too.

Pierre.

I fear I am one of the benighted who did not collect until 6 months ago - so what's the story in a nutshell? Feel free to PM so I don't completely jack the thread. :)

I fear I am one of the benighted who did not collect until 6 months ago - so what's the story in a nutshell? Feel free to PM so I don't completely jack the thread. :)

Hi Chief-

Sent you a PM.

Best regards,
Pierre.

Since you apparently don't collect WW1 anymore, I hope you'll send me all your Trophy and Britains Premier sets which is the largest collection I've ever seen.

P.S. WS is my favorite line too! Afrika, not so much. There were only like 3 panzer divisions in all of Africa. On the eastern front, there were 10 times that number. But in the toy soldier world, there's almost 1 Afrika tank made for every 2 European ones. I bet there have been more Afrika tanks made in toy soldier form than the number of men who actually served in the Afrika Corps.

As always, you have a very interesting post CS, thanks.

There were only like 3 panzer divisions in all of Africa. On the eastern front, there were 10 times that number. But in the toy soldier world, there's almost 1 Afrika tank made for every 2 European ones. I bet there have been more Afrika tanks made in toy soldier form than the number of men who actually served in the Afrika

Users who are viewing this thread

Back