News Update August 5th, 2024 - Anglo-Zulu War (1 Viewer)

Julie

Administrator
Staff member
JJDESIGNS NEWS UPDATE 5TH AUGUST 2024
THE ANGLO ZULU WAR
THE BATTLE OF GINGINDHLOVU, 2nd APRIL 1879.

The Battle of Gingindhlovu was fought on 2nd April 1879 between a British relief column sent to break the siege at Eshowe, and a Zulu impi of king Cetshwayo.

The British soldier would refer to it as the Battle of “GIN GIN I LOVE YOU”.

Charles Pearson had led No.1 column of the British invasion force across the Tugela River to establish an advanced base at Eshowe. Having set up a base at a deserted Norwegian mission station, the British found themselves besieged.

A relief column was organized by Lord Chelmsford and departed Fort Tenedos on 29th March to relieve the garrison.

Chelmsford’s relief force comprised 3,390 Europeans, and 2,280 Africans.

GG9101-M.jpg

Lord Chelmsford ensured his men spent much time laagering and entrenching their camp at the end of each day, and kept ammunition boxes open and at the ready.

Although this was slow progress, Pearson’s observers at Eshowe were able to see the relief column entrenched on the south bank of the Neyzane, on the evening of the 1st April.

The Zulu impi was composed of 12,000 warriors, some of whom were Isandlwana veterans drawn from regiments in the main Zulu army, while the remainder were warriors who lived in the vicinity of Eshowe.

Many of the Zulu commanders wanted to attack the relief column that night, but Prince Dabulamanzi KaMpande, who was half brother to king Cetshwayo and commander of the impi’s right wing, convinced them to wait until morning.

At dawn on 2 April 1879, the morning sun revealed muddy ground and a heavy mist. Chelmsford had decided after hearing Dunn's report to not continue on toward Eshowe early the next morning. Instead, he would deploy units of the Natal Native Contingent to feel for the Zulus. As the NNC were preparing to advance shots were heard from the night pickets still on duty. The impi was advancing; the main force split into two columns before crossing the Ineyzane and assuming the "chest and horns" formation. The left horn sharply curved to the right to assault the laager's north-east corner, while the "chest" gently curved toward the north face of the laager.

The British regiments in the camp had stood to at 4am. A native soldier pointed to the skyline. ‘Impi’ he declared. The British officers stared at the hill top for some time, before realising that what they had taken to be a long smudge of vegetation was the mass of the advancing Zulu ‘chest’.

Another force passed Misi Hill and approached the laager, forming the impi’s right horn.

The buffalo formation came in at a run on the three sides of the laager as Chelmsford had wanted; at a range of 300–400 yd (270–370 m) the British infantry opened fire, supported by the Gatling guns and rockets.

The first attack was received on the north side of the British entrenchments by the 60th Rifles. One of the newly arrived regiments, the young soldiers of the 60th found the ordeal of the Zulu attack trying in the extreme and it took all the leadership of the battalion’s officers to keep their troops steady and firing. The Gatling guns at the ends of the line provided much needed support.

Under heavy fire from the British line, the Zulu charge faltered and flowed around to the west flank of the square, where the attack was renewed against the 99th Regiment. In the face of the volley firing from the two sides of the square the Zulu ‘chest’ finally went to ground in cover.

The ‘horns’ of the Zulu advance rushed around the British position expecting to find the rear open, as at Isandlwana, only to meet the volley firing of the 91st Highland Regiment and the 57th Regiment. Here too, the Zulus were forced into cover.

Zulu marksmen caused a few casualties within the laager, but the defenders kept the Zulus at bay.

Although the Zulu regiments made persistent rushes to get within stabbing range, their charges lacked the drive and spirit that had pushed them forward at Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift.

The only zulu to reach the laager was a ten year old boy, who was immediately taken prisoner by members of the naval brigade and later served as a kind of mascot on their ship, Boadicea.

In the face of the sustained fire from the 91st and 57th, the attack on the rear of the laager ebbed away and Chelmsford ordered his mounted units out of the square to complete the victory. The mounted attack was premature and it was some time before the Zulu withdrawal took hold.

Soon after 7am, the battle was over and the Zulus in full retreat, pursued by the mounted troops and the native contingent. Large numbers of Zulu warriors were killed in the long pursuit.

Chelmsford had begun to avenge the Imperial dead of Isandlwana, but for the present he was content to relieve Pearson and return to Natal.

The outcome of the battle was a great relief to Chelmsford, showing him that his army’s confidence was re-established and enabling him to continue his advance to Pearson’s camp and on to defeat the Zulu King, Cetshwayo, at the Battle of Ulundi.

British casualties were 6 officers and 55 men; among the dead was Lieutenant Colonel Northey of the 60th Rifles. Zulu casualties were calculated at over 1,000.

THE 91st (PRINCESS LOUISE’S ARGYLLSHIRE) HIGHLANDERS
GG9102-M.jpg

The 91st Highlanders were stationed at Aldershot when they received an order, on 12th February 1879 to proceed on active service to Natal. The regiment formed the advance guard on the Eshowe relief column.

GG9103-M.jpg

During the Battle of Gingindlovu the 91st held the (Southern) rear face of the lager and bore the brunt of the second attack.

GG9104-M.jpg

After the relief of Eschowe the regiment was employed on convoy duty until it was attached to the 2nd Brigade of Crealock’s 1st Division for the second invasion of Zululand.

GG9105-M.jpg

The 91st was the only Highland regiment involved in the 1879 Zulu War, and photographs taken at the time show the regiment wearing greatcoats/blankets in bandolier-fashion (en banderole) over the left shoulder, and tartan trousers, with only the pipers in kilts.

GG9106-M.jpg

There are at least 6 more poses in development for the 91st Highlanders.

GG9107-M.jpg

GG9108-M.jpg

One of the few photographs of the 91st Highlanders in Zululand, 1879. The picture shows pipers in kilts, and the regiment behind wearing greatcoats/blankets in bandolier-fashion, and with black pouches.

More information on this new series, “GIN GIN I LOVE YOU”, will be previewed throughout August.

The first sets of the 91st Highlanders will be available in September 2024.

Best wishes,
john jenkins

Interesting new range from John. Didn't see this one coming. I have a lot of WB and other manufacturers Anglo/Zulu War stuff including a complete Rorkes Drift diorama Not sure how much I will collect of this range, but I am sure I will get some sets as the Scottish troops are not in my collection.

Absolutely ecstatic over this line! I was hoping someone would do the AZW 91st in matte. I'll take two of each.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm pleased for all the AZW enthusiasts who have been hoping John would delve into their subject of interest. In his usual fashion, John is tackling the subject from a unique perspective!

Brendan

I like Scottish soldiers but with kilts not pants.
Mark

Certainly will be in on this series.

Fingers crossed John includes Gatling Guns & crews in the release

Mark

Obviously some Zulu are in the pipeline to counter. John’s accessories are always interesting as well. Robin.

This is great news. I love the Anglo Zulu War. Like others have said i am glad these are not 24th Foot, already doneto death. I have a collection that focusses on Rorkes Drift and Isanndlawana. What i have wanted fir a long time are ancillary troops like the many irregulars and NNC troops that have not been made. It seems we might get a few as we know John does a great job and is thorough and this news letter mentions NNC and irregular cavalry sent out to chase down fleeing Zukus. So fingers crossed we get some unique figures.
These guys are great, i had in mind nit to pursue any other reg. Brits but they look superb so i am In Love with this battle and cant wait to collect all 3 regt. Mentioned as well as the irregulars.

great looking figures, can’t wait for Zulus. Always thought that if the Zulus had organised all they had after Isandlwana I.E. half a million rounds of ammunition and easily one thousand martinis plus spares artillery and god knows what instead of destroying everything in sight the Zulu kingdom would have been a far more difficult and dangerous to invade the second time. Could have been game over?

Not figs I will be adding to my collection but looking fwd to the Zulus.

Probably my biggest collection is the Anglo Zulu War with Britains and Thomas Gunn figures. Nice to see John Jenkins coming on the scene. I will be very interested in these and to see if Zulus are in the pipeline.

I thought John may have gone even more left field with the attack on the Ntombe. The surprise of that attack could have led to more intriguing sculpts and characters.

Oh yes, Ntombe would have been an excellent choice. Both sides engaged in hand-to-hand combat, not the one-sided static affair of Gingindhlovu. - That said, glad to see JJD doing the Zulu War.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back