Next weeks dispatches? (1 Viewer)

Well, whoop-de-doo for you.
If no-one minds, I'll just continue to collect whatever strikes my fancy. First I've ever heard that one simply MUST concentrate on any particular theme, just cos the self-appointed experts among us says so.
OMG, must go and lie down an reflect on the error of my collecting ways as pointed out by the more experienced and self-opinionated among our happy little band of brothers.

It's common for people to collect a wide variety of stuff before they decide on what they like best and stick to that. I'm just saying how these things change over time rather than telling people what they should or should not collect.

Last edited by a moderator:
With experience collectors tend to concentrate more on a particular theme such as World War Two.

When I started collecting over 35 years ago I used to buy whatever took my fancy. However after a few years I realised I had lots of random stuff with no common elements making display and appreciation of the pieces more difficult. It also served to make my pockets less full and my wife more angry.

However there are exceptions to every rule. For example, Pat is an experienced collector yet does not stick to an era or theme, but he's as crazy as a loon - just kidding Pat ;) :)

Hi Oz,

:D:D:D You have gotten to know me very well! And...yes, I am probably as crazy as a loon! :D It is true that I do not stick to a single theme, manufacturer, or era in my collection. However, as I have collected figures for a long time, I have accumulated groups of figures that belong to common eras and themes. As a result, I have sufficient numbers of figures, among many others, to present nice displays of Ancient Egyptians, Napoleonics, WW II, ACW, Zulu Wars, Samurai clans, Connoisseur Knights, and, most certainly, Delhi Durbar events. With time, a diverse collecting strategy can result in a depth of a variety of themes and eras.

It is possible to raise the question of could I have a deeper, more valuable collection if I had disciplined myself to collect only one or two lines? In my opinion, the answer to such a question is: yes. However, I am not particularly concerned with increasing the value of my collection. Rather, I enjoy diversity and seeing examples of different cultures, different eras, different and colorful uniforms, and different implements of war. For me to collect only one or two lines of figures is to deny myself the pleasure that results from the diversity I enjoy. From my perspective, the hobby is about personal pleasure, not about building financial assets. If I become too enchanted with increasing the value of my collection, I begin to assume a business/investment posture which detracts from the pure pleasure that the hobby provides me.

If I have any advice for new collectors regarding how or what to collect, it would be to education one's self about the hobby, learn about the various makers and their products, begin to network with other collectors, and then follow your heart's desire. If that desire is to build a great collection of a single era, single conflict, or single manufacturer, then go for it. If, instead, you enjoy a variety of time periods and toy soldier makers, then travel that path. After all, a hobby should be enjoyed to the maximum extent reasonably possible. If the collection increases in value, consider it a bonus. If the collection fails to increase in value, then consider all the fun you have with it and be content that your hobby expenditures have been worthwhile and personally gratifying.

Yes, Oz, I know I am as crazy as a loon, but loons have as much fun as all the sane collectors! :D

Warmest personal regards,

Pat ;)

Well said Pat.

It is much more stimulating to collect from 5000 years of conflict than from one or two series.

Donnie

I don't think this looks like Pat :)

Attachments

• mn_common_loon5.jpg
    mn_common_loon5.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 135
Hi Oz,

:D:D:D You have gotten to know me very well! And...yes, I am probably as crazy as a loon! :D It is true that I do not stick to a single theme, manufacturer, or era in my collection. However, as I have collected figures for a long time, I have accumulated groups of figures that belong to common eras and themes. As a result, I have sufficient numbers of figures, among many others, to present nice displays of Ancient Egyptians, Napoleonics, WW II, ACW, Zulu Wars, Samurai clans, Connoisseur Knights, and, most certainly, Delhi Durbar events. With time, a diverse collecting strategy can result in a depth of a variety of themes and eras.

It is possible to raise the question of could I have a deeper, more valuable collection if I had disciplined myself to collect only one or two lines? In my opinion, the answer to such a question is: yes. However, I am not particularly concerned with increasing the value of my collection. Rather, I enjoy diversity and seeing examples of different cultures, different eras, different and colorful uniforms, and different implements of war. For me to collect only one or two lines of figures is to deny myself the pleasure that results from the diversity I enjoy. From my perspective, the hobby is about personal pleasure, not about building financial assets. If I become too enchanted with increasing the value of my collection, I begin to assume a business/investment posture which detracts from the pure pleasure that the hobby provides me.

If I have any advice for new collectors regarding how or what to collect, it would be to education one's self about the hobby, learn about the various makers and their products, begin to network with other collectors, and then follow your heart's desire. If that desire is to build a great collection of a single era, single conflict, or single manufacturer, then go for it. If, instead, you enjoy a variety of time periods and toy soldier makers, then travel that path. After all, a hobby should be enjoyed to the maximum extent reasonably possible. If the collection increases in value, consider it a bonus. If the collection fails to increase in value, then consider all the fun you have with it and be content that your hobby expenditures have been worthwhile and personally gratifying.

Yes, Oz, I know I am as crazy as a loon, but loons have as much fun as all the sane collectors! :D

Warmest personal regards,

Pat ;)

Wise words as always Pat :D

I wish I was able to get my thinking into print the way you and certain other members can. I can only manage curt sentences that apparently make me seem self opinionated to some members :(

I agree with Harry, Pat and Donnie. I follow a balanced approach - I would be quickly bored by only one theme or manufacturer, but when I do collect a theme I try to have at least maybe five figures so I can form a little scene. Yet there are certainly a few loners on my shelf that I got just because they look good.

Harry made the excellent point that one can be selective financially but still collect a wide range of subjects. How? By, as Harry explained, only selecting the figures you like best from each range. If you commit yourself to buying every piece from a particular range, including those you don't fancy that much, it can end up costing just as much.

Brad, looking at it this way, it helps us save money if we know what is coming out in December because it allows us to plan ahead. I might see a new figure in the next dispatch that I would rather get than one I was thinking about in November's releases. So while I agree with you that I think we all need to learn more self-restraint (from my perspective, in the interests of environmental sustainability), awaiting the next dispatch is not always about wanting more figures. For some of us, it's simply about wanting more information about future releases so we can make more prudent purchasing decisions today.

That is well said Pat. I collect what I like best, rather one pose or a set. I enjoy history and don't collect one time period or manufacturer. I enjoy the variety of figures presented. I wish I had a little more restraint but I manage not to go overboard.I collect for my enjoyment and if they increase in value that is fine. Right now, I am not sure if I will buy $200.00 tanks even if I collect the AK range. John

There's nothing like being in a boat with a fishing pole late in the evening with the call of loons wafting over the water...

Even on a boat you can't escape the voices from the froum eh Pete?:D;)

Rob

I have found that my interest in collecting periods have changed from time to time. I started as a strict Civil War - Rev War - Roman collector and now (because of some of you ;) and because the figures are so great) I am collecting Crusades, French & Indian War, WWII and WWI.

Times changes and figures change for the better - its all good in my book. :)

Has the world slipped into a parallel universe or did Ron leave out Napoleonics from his list?:D

I have found that my interest in collecting periods have changed from time to time. I started as a strict Civil War - Rev War - Roman collector and now (because of some of you ;) and because the figures are so great) I am collecting Crusades, French & Indian War, WWII and WWI.

Times changes and figures change for the better - its all good in my book. :)

The Crusade figures are soooooooo good aren't they? Apologies to CS cos I know you have said some of the crosses are inaccurate, but I just luv them. Simply must sneak some of those Saracens into the hoose next chance I get.

Vive Le Belle French Lassies
Henri-La-Tete

The Crusader Figures are very exciting and a wonderful range to collect. I cant wait to see additional new releases !! :D

I guess I will have to buy that JG Castle Wall Set - I have been holding out for Andy / K&C to come out with something of their own - still nothing in sight. :(

Lets hope we get some cool diorama releases with this range !! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back