Nfl 2012 season!!!! (2 Viewers)

Just enjoy the next two weeks there Sammy, Super Bowl trips don't happen every year, it's been what, 12 years since the last time the Ravens went, so enjoy it, specifically next week when all the hype builds up.

Read a good story today about the Ravens and how Harbaugh took a huge gamble by firing Cameron and making Caldwell the OC, a guy who had never called the plays before, the article credits him for going after Cole, who replaced the injured Talib and the Ravens scored 3 touchdowns as a result.

Article also pointed out how the Ravens rallied around Ray Ray when he announced he was retiring, they were burping and farting their way down the stretch losing 4 out of their last 5 games including getting blown out at home by the Broncos, then they caught lightening in a bottle and are off to the super bowl.

Article concluded by saying the league has been watered down so much over recent years, there are no more dynasties like in the 70's, 80's and 90's and all that it takes now to get to/win a Super Bowl is get good match ups in the playoffs, get hot and waltz into the Super Bowl, he pointed out how the Colts in 2006, Giants in 2007, Steelers in 2008, Packers in 2010, Giants in 2011 and Ravens this year are all proof of that, couldn't agree more.

Like I said, enjoy it and think of it this way; "your" Ravens were about 36 seconds away from going home until the Donkos secondary had a brain fart and allowed a 70 yard bomb to tie the game, that's how razor thin the line is between victory and defeat in todays NFL.

Wow George, after reading your comments I think the Ravens should forfiet thier spot in the Superbowl, they really don't belong there.

last I checked George every team lost games this year, there are no cheap wins in the NFL, the Ravens had the 3rd toughest schedule this year, we won some close ones (Pats at home, Chargers) we lost some close ones (Skins in ot, Pitt at home) and with the injuries we had, I'll take pride in the way this team hung together and finally got healthy, changed a few things and played better when they needed to the most, if that is lightning in a bottle I hope we catch some every year...Sammy

Wow George, after reading your comments I think the Ravens should forfiet thier spot in the Superbowl, they really don't belong there.

last I checked George every team lost games this year, there are no cheap wins in the NFL, the Ravens had the 3rd toughest schedule this year, we won some close ones (Pats at home, Chargers) we lost some close ones (Skins in ot, Pitt at home) and with the injuries we had, I'll take pride in the way this team hung together and finally got healthy, changed a few things and played better when they needed to the most, if that is lightning in a bottle I hope we catch some every year...Sammy

Those weren't "my" comments.

Go back and reread what I wrote, I was referring to an article I read on line, hence the term "I read a good story today about the Ravens"...........blah, blah, blah.

Relax, you've got two more weeks of hype to get through.

I agree with 99%, no 100% of what you said; the comical thing to me is you're from the south, where football is second to...................nothing near as I can tell.

So how is Atlanta dealing with the NFCCG loss, up 17 to zip and they lost, tough break for the Falcons and their fans.

College football is king, no doubt in the south, with high school right behind it. Nfl is an after thought really.

That said, some people in the South take college football too seriously, IMO. People in Alabama talk about it 12 months a year. It's an obsession. Seems to me they'd be better off focusing on books rather than balls.

Long time Atlantans like me expected the Falcons would blow it. So they did! Nothing unexpected, really.

College football is king, no doubt in the south, with high school right behind it. Nfl is an after thought really.

That said, some people in the South take college football too seriously, IMO. People in Alabama talk about it 12 months a year. It's an obsession. Seems to me they'd be better off focusing on books rather than balls.

Long time Atlantans like me expected the Falcons would blow it. So they did! Nothing unexpected, really.

Alabama and the SEC in general are second to none when it comes to college football. Sorry about the Falcons, too bad they couldn't hold onto that lead.

The two most physical teams defensively are in the Super Bowl, the Falcons and the Patriots were not and they're both on the outside looking in.

Tough break for your Pats George. It seems like the last couple years they have been hit by the injury bug at the most inopportune time. I would have really liked to see what the Ravens would have done to defend Hernandez and Gronk if he was healthy. I'm not saying that the Pats would have won if Gronk was healthy I just think it would have been a much better game to watch. I have to hand it to the Ravens though, they had injury after injury this year and overcame them to get to the championship game. That alone deserves a pat on the back. The Super bowl will be a tuff one to watch for me since I don't have any allegiance to either team. I guess I'm gonna go by the coaches here and root for the Ravens because I can't stand Jim Harbaugh. Dunno why but Jim comes off a little conceded to me where as John seems to be somewhat humble.

Tough break for your Pats George. It seems like the last couple years they have been hit by the injury bug at the most inopportune time. I would have really liked to see what the Ravens would have done to defend Hernandez and Gronk if he was healthy. I'm not saying that the Pats would have won if Gronk was healthy I just think it would have been a much better game to watch. I have to hand it to the Ravens though, they had injury after injury this year and overcame them to get to the championship game. That alone deserves a pat on the back. The Super bowl will be a tuff one to watch for me since I don't have any allegiance to either team. I guess I'm gonna go by the coaches here and root for the Ravens because I can't stand Jim Harbaugh. Dunno why but Jim comes off a little conceded to me where as John seems to be somewhat humble.

Thanks Joe and yes, injuries are a part of the game and yes, the Ravens dealt with their share this year, but not having Gronkowski was huge, nobody can defend the guy, plain and simple, he's a huge red zone weapon. They scored one touchdown in the red zone out of four shots, what does that tell you.

Losing Talib killed them, the Ravens could do virtually nothing offensively in the first half, then someone woke Caldwell up from his nap and told him Talib was not in the game and they picked on Cole in the second half and scored three touchdowns.

Funny thing is it was still a game until that ball Brady throw got deflected and went 9 miles up on the air and got picked off, at that point myself and the other folks I was with made our way to the exits, enough is enough.

As far as the Super Bowl, the 49er's are tough defensively, they should be able to put some pressure on Vanilla Ice, but the Ravens schuffling their O line around has been another brilliant move that has gone under the radar.

Cucumber is a double threat, will be interesting to see what the Ravens come up with in two weeks to stop him, great move in retrospect going to him over Smith.

Ray Ray should be able to come up with a killer way to stop him, he'll be really sharp in this game and will take his best stab I'm sure at defending him.

I like Jim a lot, he's done a superb job with the Ravens, three trips to the AFCCG in five years, they absolutely 100% should have to the Super Bowl last year, as well as the 49ers for that matter. Jim is probably the best young coach in the game today, John is wired a bit too tightly for my taste, his meltdown last week over that catch that he thought wasn't a catch was bush league, as was his run in with the Lions coach, that also was bush league.

I have a feeling they'll be dragging bodies off the field left and right in this game.

Originally Posted by sammy719
" last I checked George every team lost games this year, there are no cheap wins in the NFL, the Ravens had the 3rd toughest schedule this year, we won some close ones (Pats at home, Chargers) we lost some close ones (Skins in ot, Pitt at home) and with the injuries we had, I'll take pride in the way this team hung together and finally got healthy, changed a few things and played better when they needed to the most, if that is lightning in a bottle I hope we catch some every year...Sammy"

The bold parts are what I really do not understand. Being a fan is cool. But projecting as if you are part of the team, and/or are due any pride (or shame) for what is an endeavor utterly beyond your control is a complete mystery to me. I mean, sure the players, coaches, staff, they all have skin in the game to one degree or another. But fans, well, anybody can be one, there are no requirements or restrictions. Its why I find such behavior puxzzling, thats all.

Originally Posted by sammy719
" last I checked George every team lost games this year, there are no cheap wins in the NFL, the Ravens had the 3rd toughest schedule this year, we won some close ones (Pats at home, Chargers) we lost some close ones (Skins in ot, Pitt at home) and with the injuries we had, I'll take pride in the way this team hung together and finally got healthy, changed a few things and played better when they needed to the most, if that is lightning in a bottle I hope we catch some every year...Sammy"

The bold parts are what I really do not understand. Being a fan is cool. But projecting as if you are part of the team, and/or are due any pride (or shame) for what is an endeavor utterly beyond your control is a complete mystery to me. I mean, sure the players, coaches, staff, they all have skin in the game to one degree or another. But fans, well, anybody can be one, there are no requirements or restrictions. Its why I find such behavior puxzzling, thats all.

Can't really exsplain it for you Rutledge, just hope my Ravens win.

Last edited:
Can't really exsplain it for you Rutledge, just hope my Ravens win.

Last time I checked Sammy the owner was Steve Bisciotti. He's probably the only one entitled to call the team "my" Ravens :rolleyes2:

Last time I checked Sammy the owner was Steve Bisciotti. He's probably the only one entitled to call the team "my" Ravens :rolleyes2:

Was having beers with buddies last night. One of them attended the Falcons/49er game. He rarely goes but was invited by another.

He was amazed walking into the stadium at all the bellicose exchanges he witnessed between various Falcon and 49er fans. These were not good natured taunts or whatever. There was real hostility being expressed.

I mean, really? Really?

Meanwhile there are millions of more important "normal" battles going on all around, some life and death, that they are apparently oblivious to...just pathetic these so called "adults".

I do agree with you that it's scary how wrapped up people can get over their teams (when it should be a diversion) to the extent that it's the cause of serious hostility such as what occurred with the Giants fan who was assaulted by a Dodgers fan last year. It wasn't that long ago that you could go to an arena and and have a friendly back and forth with fans of other teams. I don't remember reading of these types of things happening among fans of the Dodgers, Giants and Yankees in the the 50s.

Brad

Was having beers with buddies last night. One of them attended the Falcons/49er game. He rarely goes but was invited by another.

He was amazed walking into the stadium at all the bellicose exchanges he witnessed between various Falcon and 49er fans. These were not good natured taunts or whatever. There was real hostility being expressed.

I mean, really? Really?

Meanwhile there are millions of more important "normal" battles going on all around, some life and death, that they are apparently oblivious to...just pathetic these so called "adults".

I attended the AFCCG last weekend and you are spot on, saw a lot of the same type of exchanges between Patriots and Ravens fans.

After the second to last Brady INT, I had had enough and so had the people I was with and as we headed for the exits, a couple of Ravens fans leaving the beer line at one of the stands laid into us, some of the things that were said are unfit for print (especially here). One of our group got into it with one guy, another in our group told him "End it here, is it worth putting the guy in a coma", to which I replied "Based on his murdering of the kings language, sounds like he already is in a coma."

One of my friends is a shrink, his theory on the hostility between fans is with the economy being in the toilet the past four years or so, people are using sports as a final thing to hold onto that makes them feel good, ie, "I lost my job, my house is in forclosure, but hey, my team won the Super Bowl, so I feel like a million dollars now."

As Brad mentioned, that story of the Giants fan being assaulted is beyond my comprehension, they guy is not the same, will never be the same, all over what, a lousy baseball game?

Pathetic. As Rutledge said earlier, the quality of your life does not change one bit whether your team wins or loses, so take it down a couple of notches, the ones who really are impacted by wins and losses are the players and the owners, the more they win, the more money they make, end of story.....

when I started this thread awhile back I have always referred to any of the teams I root for as my teams

1. my orioles
2. my Ravens
3. my terps
4. my wildcats etc....

We have had a NFL thread almost every year (2007) I have been on the forum and have never had any issues with members stating "my team" as apparently now it disturbs a few with that statement? it seems to me this thread has turned into more of a bashing of NFL teams/members that anything else.

during the regular season everyone seemed to have thier give and take when it cames to games/players but now it seems more to revolve around all the bad the NFL has to offer.

So as not to offend anyone in my thread I'll take the words from a good mod here and say, Gentle friends, I' ll leave this thread to you all, because when it comes to a point I have to take heat for pulling for MY team when I should be looking for the cure for Cancer, feeding the homeless, and I become just a pathetic fan, time for me to turn the page, good luck to you Al, your on your own...Sammy

Fan behavior, in general, seems to have been in decline for many years. Back in the 80s a person I worked with took his family to Yankee Stadium and a drunk fan spilled beer all over him and his family and cursed him when he asked for an apology. I also remember attending a Yankees Blue Jay game in 1985 and was seated with a few Blue Jay fans. When they played the Canadian anthem, the Yankee fans booed. I felt I had no other choice but to apologize. I'm not picking on the Yankees, just providing a couple of illustrations on fan behavior.

I attended the AFCCG last weekend and you are spot on, saw a lot of the same type of exchanges between Patriots and Ravens fans.

After the second to last Brady INT, I had had enough and so had the people I was with and as we headed for the exits, a couple of Ravens fans leaving the beer line at one of the stands laid into us, some of the things that were said are unfit for print (especially here). One of our group got into it with one guy, another in our group told him "End it here, is it worth putting the guy in a coma", to which I replied "Based on his murdering of the kings language, sounds like he already is in a coma."

One of my friends is a shrink, his theory on the hostility between fans is with the economy being in the toilet the past four years or so, people are using sports as a final thing to hold onto that makes them feel good, ie, "I lost my job, my house is in forclosure, but hey, my team won the Super Bowl, so I feel like a million dollars now."

As Brad mentioned, that story of the Giants fan being assaulted is beyond my comprehension, they guy is not the same, will never be the same, all over what, a lousy baseball game?

Pathetic. As Rutledge said earlier, the quality of your life does not change one bit whether your team wins or loses, so take it down a couple of notches, the ones who really are impacted by wins and losses are the players and the owners, the more they win, the more money they make, end of story.....

Absolutely Warrior.

Reminds the last time the Falcons were in the Super Bowl. I was part of one of those grids where its what the score is, not who wins that matters. Well the Falcons were getting whooped and so the game really wasnt that fun. I had pretty crappy numbers for the grid but as the game wound down I realized that in order for me to win the end game score, which had by far the biggest payout, the Falcons needed to score, go for 2 and fail, and then no more points scored by either team. Well, that is exactly what happened, and I walked away with $600 free and clear, no taxes due (shhhh! :) )

That LOSS did make my life slightly better for a week or two at least and, frankly, I was thrilled with the way it worked out. :)

Absolutely Warrior.

Reminds the last time the Falcons were in the Super Bowl. I was part of one of those grids where its what the score is, not who wins that matters. Well the Falcons were getting whooped and so the game really wasnt that fun. I had pretty crappy numbers for the grid but as the game wound down I realized that in order for me to win the end game score, which had by far the biggest payout, the Falcons needed to score, go for 2 and fail, and then no more points scored by either team. Well, that is exactly what happened, and I walked away with $600 free and clear, no taxes due (shhhh! :) )

That LOSS did make my life slightly better for a week or two at least and, frankly, I was thrilled with the way it worked out. :)

See, there you go, you turned a negative into a positive, nice.

Will be nice to watch the game and not be all worked up over who wins, will use it more as white noise in the background than anything else, will be getting together with a bunch of Patriots fans and having a good time.

Would like to see the 49er's win, would make them a perfect 6-0 in the Super Bowl, tied with the Steelers for the most Super Bowl wins as well.

If they lose, whatever.

I go to quite a few hockey games and there is one common denominator for the idiot fans who get into fights, use profanity and act like jerks. And that is always, always, always, way too much to drink. They stopped selling alcohol at most of the college football games and that speaks volumes because the vendors make a ton of money selling beer. My second pet peeve are fans who go to the game and spend the entire time talking like they are in their own living room instead of being surrounded by strangers who are trying to watch the game and could care less about their lives. And third are the people who scroll through their cell phones continuously hardly ever paying attention to the game. These I like to call women.

I go to quite a few hockey games and there is one common denominator for the idiot fans who get into fights, use profanity and act like jerks. And that is always, always, always, way too much to drink. They stopped selling alcohol at most of the college football games and that speaks volumes because the vendors make a ton of money selling beer. My second pet peeve are fans who go to the game and spend the entire time talking like they are in their own living room instead of being surrounded by strangers who are trying to watch the game and could care less about their lives. And third are the people who scroll through their cell phones continuously hardly ever paying attention to the game. These I like to call women.

Agreed; beer muscles are the cause of a lot of in stadium buffoonery.

As far as fans who are talking; last year at the Super Bowl party I went to there was a woman on one of the couches sitting with her niece, myself and another friend of mine were standing behind them, they talked non stop during the entire first half.

When the halftime show started, I was talking to my friend about the first half when the woman turns around and says "HEY, could you two be quiet, can't you see that Madonna is on, we're trying to listen to her act!!"............I had smoke coming out of my ears, could actually feel my blood pressure going up, I just walked into the other room.

Agreed; beer muscles are the cause of a lot of in stadium buffoonery.

As far as fans who are talking; last year at the Super Bowl party I went to there was a woman on one of the couches sitting with her niece, myself and another friend of mine were standing behind them, they talked non stop during the entire first half.

When the halftime show started, I was talking to my friend about the first half when the woman turns around and says "HEY, could you two be quiet, can't you see that Madonna is on, we're trying to listen to her act!!"............I had smoke coming out of my ears, could actually feel my blood pressure going up, I just walked into the other room.
George, I admire your restraint. Proper up-bringing and respect or not, I do not think I could have been so civilized in the face of such unconcious stupidity. {bravo}} -- Al

George, I admire your restraint. Proper up-bringing and respect or not, I do not think I could have been so civilized in the face of such unconcious stupidity. {bravo}} -- Al

Looking back on it, it's pretty comical in it's own right. My friend who was witness to it brings it up a lot for a laugh, ie, during a tense moment in a game we're watching, we'll be talking and he'll say "HEY, could you be quiet, Madonna's singing and I can't hear her!!" and we'll laugh and everyone else just looks at us not having clue as to what he's talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back