Odds and Ends (1 Viewer)

As I am planning a long trip to Portugal and Spain, I got this meaty book to whet my appetite. Royal House Troops in Spanish text. Lots of illustrations. Hardcover and nicely bound. Great for dipping into.

ac.jpgac2.jpgac3.jpgac4.jpg

I've just received these two books. Softbound with hardly any text but with such magnificent illustrations throughout. As these are new, I decided not to photocopy any pages as these would mean opening the books flat and risk deforming the book spines. Get your copies and salivate!

The topic covers horse archers of the steppes in their many guises and tribal formations. It gives an indication of the wide variety in their appearances with specific ethnic and regional variations. Surprisingly quite informative and comprehensive, despite a lack of textual information. The artist G Somogyi knows his stuff and his passion for the subject is evident in the illustrations.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=horse+archers+somogyi&ref=nb_sb_noss

Rgds Victor

Got this remaindered book at a terrific price. It has great text, pictures and features summary descriptions of a wide assortment of people who populated the medieval world.

Needless to say, this goes hand in hand with my burgeoning interest in representing the medieval world in miniature.

med.jpg

Here is an Italian book translated as " The Sword of Radetzky - The Imperial armies from the Restoration to the Revolution 1836 -1849".
The drawings of the post-Napoleonic Austrian army are just wonderful! It's a great primer to another unusual period.

Hi All,

Just attaching a few more scanned pages which may be of interest.

ra3.jpgRa.jpgra2.jpg

Here is an Italian book translated as " The Sword of Radetzky - The Imperial armies from the Restoration to the Revolution 1836 -1849".
The drawings of the post-Napoleonic Austrian army are just wonderful! It's a great primer to another unusual period.

Hi All,

Just attaching a few more scanned pages which may be of interest.

View attachment 252382View attachment 252383View attachment 252384

Amazing, Blaster! Does the book have any picture of the Wiener Freiwilliger mentioned in the abbreviations' list?

Hi abadude,

There are no pictures of the Wiener Freiwillger in the book. In the text, there is mention of a Corps Franchi which includes this unit within its organisation as tabulated:-

Rgds
Victor

aba.jpg

I was gifted these two great looking booklets on historic 18th century costumes. Lots of colourful pics but because it is softbound, I won't be able to press it flat to scan the pics inside.

Attachments

• sw.jpg
    sw.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 141
  • sw2.jpg
    sw2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 149
Following a long trek in the Iberian Peninsula, I managed to purchase these books from the Toledo War Museum. Two hardcover tomes of considerable weight, these books collect snapshot pages of specific soldiers, cavalry and infantry. A rather unique approach but very interesting to me.

spbk.jpgspbk3.jpgspbk2.jpg

I found this large format hardcover book on Spanish Artillery uniforms in a 2nd hand bookshop in Spain. Very good condition and with numerous excellent colour plates.

aa9.jpgaa10.jpg

In Lisbon, I got a copy of a small booklet on the Republican National Guard from its own museum.

aa.jpgaa2.jpg

At the Portuguese National Coach museum, I managed to buy 3 books in English on the coaches housed in the museum.

The first was an introductory booklet to the vast collection. The second was a larger format booklet with more details on the coaches. The third was a very large format hardcover book which was impossible to scan. I only managed to scan partly a double page-spread. This was a very detailed study of one of the coaches (Ambassador) fully covered with gilded sculptures.

aa7.jpgaa8.jpgaa4.jpgaa5.jpgaa6.jpg

The Ambassador Coach book. Partial scan of a double page spread. Very large format book.

aa3.jpg

At the Portuguese National Coach museum, I managed to buy 3 books in English on the coaches housed in the museum.

The first was an introductory booklet to the vast collection. The second was a larger format booklet with more details on the coaches. The third was a very large format hardcover book which was impossible to scan. I only managed to scan partly a double page-spread. This was a very detailed study of one of the coaches (Ambassador) fully covered with gilded sculptures.

View attachment 255408View attachment 255409View attachment 255410View attachment 255411View attachment 255412

These look so beautiful!

On a painting thread, I was trying to paint a "costume fantaissin" (ie non-regulation) as worn by a Napoleonic officer serving in the Egyptian campaign. I found a reference article in my library on such a nankeen costume.

aaa.jpgaaa2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back