OFFICIAL Firefly Photos (1 Viewer)

Hey thanks very much,its kind of you to go to the trouble of writing that out,its very interesting.

Rob

happy you like it.

data I don't have is for the advanced ammunition. 17pdr APDS, 76mm HVAP, 85mm APCR was rare in 44 but was steadily increasing to the war's end.

Funny how we all grabbed up the Firefly, received mine today. I was not going to get one, then I noticed that TF had them in stock for about 24 hours it seemed. I have no place to put mine but with the bunker. A little close to be lighting one off I suppose...

Attachments

• DSCN3541Resized.jpg
    DSCN3541Resized.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 262
happy you like it.

data I don't have is for the advanced ammunition. 17pdr APDS, 76mm HVAP, 85mm APCR was rare in 44 but was steadily increasing to the war's end.

Here are specifications for three Sherman tank guns including information on associated ammunition.

Check out the performance of the 17 Pounder SVDS - Super Velocity Discarding Sabot (aka. APDS - Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot) rounds (picture below)

75mm Guns M2, M3 and M6

75mm.jpg

76mm Guns M1, M1A1, M1A1C and M1A2

76mm.jpg

17 Pounder Mk. IV and VII

17_Pounder.jpg

Attachments

• 17APDS.jpg
    17APDS.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 260
The threat of air attack was more than just the threat to the tanks. The damage done to support vehicles, supplies, and, most importantly, personal, was every bit as crucial as taking out a tank. Armor units are only as effective as their logistical support lets them be. The air attacks crippled movement and the logistics and thus proved more crucial than just knocking out a few tanks. Rob is right. Those ground attack pilots are owed a lot more credit than they have received compared to their more glamorous brothers who flew a little higher in the sky. -- lancer

I completely agree with you. While I feel the effectiveness in direct attacks is overstated I believe overall effectiveness of Allied ground attack aircraft was very high.

If you refer back to table 5.2 in post 152 the thing that really stands out is the number of tanks destroyed or abandoned by their crews. Why do crews destroy or abandon their vehicles?

• Lack of Fuel + Loss of Ground
  • Mechanical/Battle Damage + Lack of Recovery Assets + Loss of Ground
  • Stuck + Lack of Recovery Assets + Loss of Ground

How can aircraft contribute to any of these factors? Well we know that all the bridges over the Seine between Paris and coast were taken out as were countless rail lines and marshalling yards (and trains for that matter). The Germans were starved for supplies (fuel in particular) in the best of times so Allied interdiction would have greatly exacerbated the problem. Direct attacks against vehicles that only resulted in damage could also potentially have resulted in the loss of that vehicle to the Germans although in this case it required the advance of ground forces to overrun the imobilized vehicle.

I believe that the Germans indirectly lost far more tanks to Allied aircraft through their interdiction efforts than through direct attacks.

wow wow wow

great data

76mm

15.4 lb projectile down a 133.5" tube at 724 ft-tons KE

17 lbr

17 lb projectile down a 144" tube at 991 ft-tons KE

Yes-sir-eee the Brits were tired of getting pushed around by German heavies

been there, done that

and to think the 20lbr was just around the corner :eek:

Firefly et al arrived today. I can see what members have been talking about as far as the markings. If I get up the guts, I might try a little gloss clear and then some dull coat to see what happens. that is, if I get up the guts to touch it.

Bill W

Firefly et al arrived today. I can see what members have been talking about as far as the markings. If I get up the guts, I might try a little gloss clear and then some dull coat to see what happens. that is, if I get up the guts to touch it.

Bill W

If you wanna wait a few days, I can give you some results

Well, thank you sir:)
Bill W

I brushed on some Flat Clear Lacquer Finish (Testors 2015) and it does a 90% job to reduce the sheen, but not complete. So, it is a quick simple improvement, but for the complete job, some drybrusing is going to be required to blend the decal into the finish

I brushed on some Flat Clear Lacquer Finish (Testors 2015) and it does a 90% job to reduce the sheen, but not complete. So, it is a quick simple improvement, but for the complete job, some drybrusing is going to be required to blend the decal into the finish

BT, how do you think a spray of dull coat would work. would that be a bit of over kill do you think??

Bill W

I'll have to disagree with you there. The person who was going to take care of that for me (before I returned it) would have put some kind of wash on it. I can ask him tomorrow exactly what he would have done (as I showed him the tank).

And your method would be???

A decal softener like Microsol by Microscale will reduce silvering, but there is the risk of wrinkling the decal. Silvering occurs when a decal is applied to a flat paint surface which is actually a rough surface on a micro scale. Light passes through the clear part of the decal film and is reflected from the rough flat paint surface making the clear film more visible and shiny looking to the naked eye.

The problem can be avoided by giving the area where the decal is to go a light gloss clearcoat to make the paint surface smooth. This may be what some of the manufacturers do? In our case, the decal is already on the tank so Microsol can be used VERY SPARINGLY and can be applied in 2 or 3 coats AT LEAST 2 DAYS APART. Practice on a cheap model to see how it works.

Terry

A decal softener like Microsol by Microscale will reduce silvering, but there is the risk of wrinkling the decal. Silvering occurs when a decal is applied to a flat paint surface which is actually a rough surface on a micro scale. Light passes through the clear part of the decal film and is reflected from the rough flat paint surface making the clear film more visible and shiny looking to the naked eye.

The problem can be avoided by giving the area where the decal is to go a light gloss clearcoat to make the paint surface smooth. This may be what some of the manufacturers do? In our case, the decal is already on the tank so Microsol can be used VERY SPARINGLY and can be applied in 2 or 3 coats AT LEAST 2 DAYS APART. Practice on a cheap model to see how it works.

Terry

Thanks will try that I have always used a gloss coat on models before adding decals and then a dull coat to overcoat. Hopfully Figarti did not do the same for if there is an over coat I wonder if the Microsol pr solva set will work
Bill

Thanks will try that I have always used a gloss coat on models before adding decals and then a dull coat to overcoat. Hopfully Figarti did not do the same for if there is an over coat I wonder if the Microsol pr solva set will work
Bill

Obviously try it on just one decal first.

Terry

BT, how do you think a spray of dull coat would work. would that be a bit of over kill do you think??

Bill W

Sure, but what are you going to spray? The whole model? Doing so might alter detailing you already are quite fond of. And if you try masking to only expose the decals to the spay, the mask might in turn form a new outline.

The only solution I am aware of is to brush on a flat coat; after it dries, drybrush to blend in. If you don't have experience drybrushing, get some first before doing the tank, or find an experienced modeler at a club.

Firefly is excellent.....arrived in great shape.....an excellent model.....Hats off again to Figarti :)

I just finished reading through this whole thread in one sitting and I have to say it was one of the best threads I’ve seen on this forum in a long, long time.

First, there was an educated discussion about who/what killed Michael Wittmann that remained relatively civil and grounded, and people moved on to a different topic without everyone needing to have the last word or tempers flaring.

Second, there was an excellent discussion and review of the Figarti Firefly by multiple individuals based on the real models in their hands. Throughout these reviews there was no hint of bias or company favouritism displayed, nor was that annoying term “rivet counter” ever used to defend the product.

Third, the thread concluded with some helpful tips about trying to improve the model with tools at our disposal.

I think once the hype dies down and the rose coloured glasses come off, we can stop talking about the fact these pieces are limited to 100 and other such info that is of interest mainly to scalpers, and actually stop to consider “is this model really accurate and well rendered, or not?” In the case of the Firefly, clearly it’s a very nice looking piece in some respects but like everything made by man it obviously has room for improvement as well. That’s not being negative, it’s being truthful and rational. Figarti’s tanks are considered to be some of the best on the market so they should be held to a high standard, as should all manufacturer’s products for that matter. Now that I have confirmation the Figarti Firefly is in fact an item made by mere mortals and not God’s gift to humanity, I feel a little better about my decision to skip it due to financial factors (the price on tanks is getting a little out of my bounds nowdays) and something that looked off about it that I couldn’t quite put my finger on, but some of these comments may be touching on. A couple of other minor quibbles: I don’t necessarily care for the driver’s head permanently sticking out of the hatch and I think the commander sticking out the top looks a little “fruity” for lack of a better term (and I’m normally one who really likes Figarti’s figures). Not to worry for those who did get it, you’ve still got the best and only 1:30th firefly on the market, unless or until K&C ever gets around to releasing their promised version which could be better or worse.

Maybe this thread was just a one time fluke because it was August and everyone was laid back and relaxed, but I really wish there were more of these sorts of in-depth, impartial and cool-headed reviews of products once they’ve come out, it’s the best thing going on these forums IMO. :)

I just finished reading through this whole thread in one sitting and I have to say it was one of the best threads I’ve seen on this forum in a long, long time.

First, there was an educated discussion about who/what killed Michael Wittmann that remained relatively civil and grounded, and people moved on to a different topic without everyone needing to have the last word or tempers flaring.

Second, there was an excellent discussion and review of the Figarti Firefly by multiple individuals based on the real models in their hands. Throughout these reviews there was no hint of bias or company favouritism displayed, nor was that annoying term “rivet counter” ever used to defend the product.

Third, the thread concluded with some helpful tips about trying to improve the model with tools at our disposal.

I think once the hype dies down and the rose coloured glasses come off, we can stop talking about the fact these pieces are limited to 100 and other such info that is of interest mainly to scalpers, and actually stop to consider “is this model really accurate and well rendered, or not?” In the case of the Firefly, clearly it’s a very nice looking piece in some respects but like everything made by man it obviously has room for improvement as well. That’s not being negative, it’s being truthful and rational. Figarti’s tanks are considered to be some of the best on the market so they should be held to a high standard, as should all manufacturer’s products for that matter. Now that I have confirmation the Figarti Firefly is in fact an item made by mere mortals and not God’s gift to humanity, I feel a little better about my decision to skip it due to financial factors (the price on tanks is getting a little out of my bounds nowdays) and something that looked off about it that I couldn’t quite put my finger on, but some of these comments may be touching on. A couple of other minor quibbles: I don’t necessarily care for the driver’s head permanently sticking out of the hatch and I think the commander sticking out the top looks a little “fruity” for lack of a better term (and I’m normally one who really likes Figarti’s figures). Not to worry for those who did get it, you’ve still got the best and only 1:30th firefly on the market, unless or until K&C ever gets around to releasing their promised version which could be better or worse.

Maybe this thread was just a one time fluke because it was August and everyone was laid back and relaxed, but I really wish there were more of these sorts of in-depth, impartial and cool-headed reviews of products once they’ve come out, it’s the best thing going on these forums IMO. :)

I couldn't agree more CS.I also thought it was very sporting of Terry and Oz to fully accept mine and Clives version of Wittmans death......oops,now i've said it!;):D

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back