"Ol Douglas (1 Viewer)

W T Allison II

Command Sergeant Major
"Ol Douglas", a camel from the Middle East ended up at Camp Verde, 60 miles west of San Antonio just before the start of the Civil War. Somehow, he ended up in Mississippi with the 43rd Mississippi Volunteer Regimental Band carrying their band instruments and supplies. The regiment became known as "The Camel Regiment". He was killed by a sniper's bullet at the Battle of Vicksburg and is buried there with a marked grave in Vicksburg's Cedar Hill Cemetery. Mike Laeding of Trophy of Texas commissioned 20 figures of Ol Douglas and his handler Edward Whittington from Len. in 1911 at a price of $105.00 (ACW72TT). Good hunting! Tommy

for a photo, please view photo 38 from my album 15, "Trophy's Civil War". tommy

Here you go Tommy this is a picture of my set

Stay safe

Martyn
:)

Attachments

• ACW72 OLD DOUGLAS.jpg
    ACW72 OLD DOUGLAS.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 165
I've always been surprised that the Trophy ACW series was one of the least popular that Trophy produced

Here are a couple of other quite unique sets that Trophy released around the same time as "Ol Douglas"

CONFEDERATE set "THE FORAGER" and UNION set "BRINGING HOME THE BACON"

Attachments

• ACW THE FORAGER.jpg
    ACW THE FORAGER.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 119
  • ACW 71 - BRINGING HOME THE BACON.jpg
    ACW 71 - BRINGING HOME THE BACON.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 120
Martyn...
love the "Forager" figure...
they should of attached the pig to his goodies too...

"ol douglas", a camel from the middle east ended up at camp verde, 60 miles west of san antonio just before the start of the civil war. Somehow, he ended up in mississippi with the 43rd mississippi volunteer regimental band carrying their band instruments and supplies. The regiment became known as "the camel regiment". He was killed by a sniper's bullet at the battle of vicksburg and is buried there with a marked grave in vicksburg's cedar hill cemetery. Mike laeding of trophy of texas commissioned 20 figures of ol douglas and his handler edward whittington from len. In 1911 at a price of $105.00 (acw72tt). Good hunting! Tommy
a sniper killed the camel, how low of a move was that, great piece thanks for sharing

I've always been surprised that the Trophy ACW series was one of the least popular that Trophy produced

Here are a couple of other quite unique sets that Trophy released around the same time as "Ol Douglas"

CONFEDERATE set "THE FORAGER" and UNION set "BRINGING HOME THE BACON"

Hi Martyn: Mike Laeding of Trophy of Texas and I discussed this and there are a couple of reasons. First, the uniforms were drab, either blue or grey, unlike other wars. Second, there are a lot of people interested in the Civil War but not many are toy soldier collectors. Together, both make for a limited market. Mike is a Civil War buff and talked Len into making as many sets as he did. Len's two gunboats, the "Eagle" and the "Leopard", are some of the best I have ever seen but were expensive at the time. tommy

Hi Martyn: Mike Laeding of Trophy of Texas and I discussed this and there are a couple of reasons. First, the uniforms were drab, either blue or grey, unlike other wars. Second, there are a lot of people interested in the Civil War but not many are toy soldier collectors. Together, both make for a limited market. Mike is a Civil War buff and talked Len into making as many sets as he did. Len's two gunboats, the "Eagle" and the "Leopard", are some of the best I have ever seen but were expensive at the time. tommy

Excellent points Tommy and I agree about the two gunboats....along with the "Lion" of course :wink2:

Stay safe

Martyn:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back