Pricing, where's your limit?? (1 Viewer)

I noted some interesting price comparisons with other types of figures. I dont think these are products that can be easily compared with TS but here are some comments.

15mm. The most well known brand (to me) is Flames of War from NZ which is popular worldwide (I used to be next to a Wargaming shop). They have a set of 5 Tigers for NZ$110 which is about US$90 or $18 per tank unpainted. I have no idea how anybody could commercially sell metal painted 15mm tanks for $20 unless there was a mass produced plastic range. I did meet a guy who was planning to bring out pre painted wargaming figures and vehicles but it never happened.

I seem to recall that when the FOW tanks were $15 people were painting them for others for $15 but that was about 6 years ago.

If you were at a show I guess it would be possible to buy a used one a gamer was selling to fund something else. If there are any commercially available 15mm wargaming painted figures and painted tanks (at $20) could somebody let me know. If there are not then it is not a valid comparison.

I am no scale expert but I do know that in terms of actual size and painting area a 60mm tank is a lot more than just multiplying 15mm by 4. Perhaps somebody could do a calculation of how many 15mm tanks you could get inside a 60mm tank. A 15mm figure is very very small and the painting area of a 60mm figure is considerably more than 4 x the 15mm. Anybody have any of both for comparison ?

1/6 I used to be the biggest seller of these kind of action figures in Australia. I agree they are very good value for what they are. I am not sure about elsewhere but the market in Australia died about 5/6 years ago and in Brisbane it is now very hard to find them. There were two types of buyers; the collector who kept them in the box and the hobbyist who took them out and played with them and weathered them etc (I knew an ex Vietnam mortarman who did some great mortar crews). Personally I always thought the hobby guy was getting much better value and some of the converted / weathered figures could be onsold for good money.

No idea about now but the quantities of those Dragon figures in a production run would be considerably more than most K&C, FL type figures. If I remember right The Monty Python, Platoon and Hogans's Heroes from Sideshow were done as 10,000 runs so we are talking a much more mass produced figure. For the Monty Python they did do another ten thousand with a minor change. Dragon for example being a major kit manufacturer would have had all the expensive factory machinery and a huge distribution chain with probably over a thousand outlets worldwide.

It is very hard to compare TS's with action figures as I found they were different types of collectors. I did have a collector who over a few years bought 300 action figures and they would have cost him close to $25,000. I knew he just took them home and put them on shelves in his garage. Early on I tried to convince him he would be better off collecting K&C becuase at least he could display them. If he had taken my advice at that time he would have had a valuable collection and certainly not lost money as he did when he later sold most of his 1/6 figures.

Shipping Different brands use different shipping methods. I believe most K&C dealers would receive their shipments from Hong Kong via
FEDEX. In my case this cost can range from 10% of the value (ie. my product cost) to up to 30%. The difference is between getting a shipment of just figures or one with a high proportion of planes and diorama items. I have a shipment arriving from Britains USA tomorrow and my shipping cost was over 25%. I recall Hadrian a German dealer saying his FEDEX cost from K&C was 30%. No idea but I would guess USA dealers costs might be same for me from K&C.

Before I could get Britains direct from them I would have had to get Britains via an agent and it came by ship from UK. I was told it would take longer than 2 months for my orders to arrive. Meanwhile my customers would have been getting Britains post free by air from some of the kind USA dealers{sm2}. I could only make it work once I shipped by air.

I never got the TG FW190's from UK as I knew shipping cost relative to value was too high. Same goes for Rorkes Hospitals I no longer get.

Britains for example ship their shipments from China to USA by ship so there would be less shipping costs and hence a saving. My Nile Gun boat and Zulu artillery sets came to me via FEDEX from China and this was cheaper for me than from USA.

I had a product last year that I believe was packed in a box 4 x larger than was necessary. The postage factor relative to value meant I never ordered it again.

So shipping can be an big issue for dealers. Probably not something collectors think about much as most probably get free shipping with their orders.

Some food for thought.

Regards
Brett

Really like KC new German tank Figures but think £48.50 for two half figures is madness

With all the topics of conversations this past weekend on prices and a good First legion friend selling his WWII collection I thought about my own future in this hobby, should I cash in my chips and move on?? thought about it for awhile, then took a good look at my collection/dios and thought how would it be if I were out of the hobby?? and decided rather quickly I'm in it for the long haul for as long as I can anyway :).. I buy at a ok pace, I don't blow out my soldier budget or spend thousands in a months time, and I consider myself lucky enough to be in this great hobby that I find truly enjoyable, and I guess my humble opinion is that if you really, really enjoy a hobby or whatever it is that makes you happy you can find always find a way to be a part of it in some way...Sammy

and I consider myself lucky enough to be in this great hobby that I find truly enjoyable, and I guess my humble opinion is that if you really, really enjoy a hobby or whatever it is that makes you happy you can find always find a way to be a part of it in some way...Sammy

sammy I agree with you there.
I have come to realize that the price increases in the hobby have outpaced my cost of living and salary increases. So I can still only afford X dollars per year. I have only a very modest Toy Soldier collection though, from 2 different manufacturers. My wargamming collection is where most of my dollars go. You can still get excellent deals on figures in various wargamming scales from various manufacturers. Of course this is just for unpainted figures.
My concern with Toy Soldier manufacturers is that they are pricing themselves out of business. If an old timer like myself, who grew up palying with Toy Soldiers almost every day, is not able to support the hobby, how are they going to introduce any young blood? Kids today are not growing up playing with Toy Soldiers. With video games they do not even have to use thier imagination. I can't see them putting down $40-50 for 1 figure.

If an old timer like myself, who grew up palying with Toy Soldiers almost every day, is not able to support the hobby, how are they going to introduce any young blood? Kids today are not growing up playing with Toy Soldiers. With video games they do not even have to use thier imagination. I can't see them putting down $40-50 for 1 figure.

On an encouraging note, at the Woburn toy soldier show yesterday, there were quite a few kids at the show.

But your point is an excellent one; for the most part, kids today are not growing up playing with toy soldiers.

As they grow older, they will have zero emotional attachment to growing up playing with toy soldiers, nothing to respark their interest.

Makes you wonder what the future holds for this hobby.

I've actually reached my limit.I have went to smaller scales and get them painted when I can.
Mark

It's gone beyond my pricing limit for most 54/60mm "matte" manufacturers and I have put a freeze on further purchases from them. Only interested in a couple of ranges from two different "matte" manufacturers. It's going to be a very tough sell to bring in new collectors to this hobby or for that matter to hold onto existing collectors... :(

On an encouraging note, at the Woburn toy soldier show yesterday, there were quite a few kids at the show.

But your point is an excellent one; for the most part, kids today are not growing up playing with toy soldiers.

As they grow older, they will have zero emotional attachment to growing up playing with toy soldiers, nothing to respark their interest.

Makes you wonder what the future holds for this hobby.

Glad to hear there was a good turnout at the show George, and I also agree with you on the younger kids having little attachment to this hobby, even as I have bought my 14 yr. old son a good sized K&C Civil War collection over a period of time he shows less interest in it now, it's all X BOX, and fancy cell phones, I don't know where this hobby will be in say 10-15 years from now, but if the prices do keep rising, the average metal collector will be long gone, I truly hope it doesn't come to that and the powers that be can find solutions to material, labor, etc..and the metal hobby can continue to survive well into the future...Sammy

I enjoy still being able to buy figures in the $32.00 range, while $45.00 seems to be my present limit for one foot figure. I am still interested in at least a few of the higher priced figures in the $55.00 range if they suit my taste.I look at some of my K&C 4 figure boxed sets and see these as a thing of the past that we may not see again anytime soon.

Sadly Cornwallis was mortally wounded at $32.00 a figure, any higher will be the death blow. I sadly haven't purchased a figure for over a year now.... :redface2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back