Remake of The Magnificent Seven with Denzel etc (1 Viewer)

The Military Workshop

1st Lieutenant
On my list but have to wait a bit {sm2} Been a few years since last good western.

Original version is the second most shown film in U.S. television history, behind only The Wizard of Oz. However not noticed it on much down in Oz.

The Magnificent Seven is an upcoming film directed by Antoine Fuqua, a remake of the 1960 western film of the same name. The film stars Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawke, Vincent D'Onofrio, Lee Byung-hun, Luke Grimes, Wagner Moura, Haley Bennett, Matt Bomer, and Peter Sarsgaard. Principal photography began on May 18, 2015, in the north of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The film is set to be released on September 23, 2016.

Director and co star Hawke both did Training Day with Denzel. Cant remember a Denzel movie not liked.

Interesting note from Wiki about the soundtrack. The original theme has got to be one of the most memorable. James Horner was pegged to write the film's score, but died on June 22, 2015. In July 2015, nearly a month after Horner's death, Fuqua learned that the score already had been written, and Horner had planned for it to be a surprise.

Was not familiar with the name Moura even though only recently finished 10 hours watching him !

Wagner Maniçoba de Moura (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈvaɡneɾ ˈmo-ɾa]; born June 27, 1976) is a Brazilian film, television and stage actor. Besides being a well-established and acclaimed actor in Brazil, he has achieved widespread international fame for his portrayal of Captain (later Colonel) Roberto Nascimento, protagonist of the highly successful 2007 film Elite Squad and its sequel, Elite Squad: The Enemy Within. He also gained recognition globally playing "Spider" in the 2013 sci-fi film Elysium. He is currently playing the lead role of Pablo Escobar in the Netflix series Narcos.

Elite Squad movies on my list as Netflix keeps reminding me might be suitable after watching Narcos.

Only a year to wait ^&grin

Hate to say it but the original is overrated...not as much as The Dirty Dozen, but overrated nevertheless!

Seriously, why mess with this movie, a remake?

So I guess a remake of The Wizzard of Oz can't be too far off, it will be about some dude in Australia instead though...............

Seriously, why mess with this movie, a remake?

So I guess a remake of The Wizzard of Oz can't be too far off, it will be about some dude in Australia instead though...............
Agree. This remake may or may not work but it will ultimately fail to measure up to the original if for no other reason than the original's cast is unbeatable. Brenner, McQueen, Wallach, Bronson, Coburn, Vaughn, are all legends. A new film can only fall short. -- Al

Another dumb idea; it was a movie that doesn't need to be remade, whether you think the original wasn't that great, or if you're like me and you think that the original was just unique and no remake can ever compare.

But Hollywood producers are like the shark, which must keep swimming or sink. They must keep looking for any idea for a project, and try it, regardless of whether it should be done.

Prost!
Brad

If they need to remake a movie, remake "Midway", without the fictional crap, and with good special effects. There's an epic tale that hasn't been told properly on the silver screen.

Prost!
Brad

It will probably be okay as a remake
I won't lose sleep over it
The original remains pretty definitive

Hate to say it but the original is overrated...not as much as The Dirty Dozen, but overrated nevertheless!

As Michael (maddadicus) would say ..... I unfriend you! ^&grin

The Dirty Dozen overrated, well maybe, BUT the Magnificent Seven ..... NEVER! The Elmer Bernstein sound track alone is priceless.

Now as for Rob's favorites, The Battle of the Bulge and Kelly's Heroes ..... :rolleyes2:^&grin

B.

Antoine Fuqua is an excellent movie director.
He directed "King Arthur" starring Clive Owen.
That film is a Western with swords.

Boooo! Hisss! Boooo! Surely you jest?^&grin -- Al

Al

I have shared this opinion a few times over the years. Your response is by far the most polite. It is as though I have an opinion and the rest of the world disagrees with it. It is a shame that so many people are so very, very wrong!

Jack

You guys probably know this, but the original film was based on The Seven Samurai movie. For those of you who haven't seen it, its a long movie, but the battle scenes are excellent and very realistic.

As Michael (maddadicus) would say ..... I unfriend you! ^&grin

The Dirty Dozen overrated, well maybe, BUT the Magnificent Seven ..... NEVER! The Elmer Bernstein sound track alone is priceless.

Now as for Rob's favorites, The Battle of the Bulge and Kelly's Heroes ..... :rolleyes2:^&grin

B.

Buster

I concede that the music is special. The story is actually quite good too ... it is the acting that does not hold up. Now Kelly's Heroes - there is a movie!

Jack

Al

I have shared this opinion a few times over the years. Your response is by far the most polite. It is as though I have an opinion and the rest of the world disagrees with it. It is a shame that so many people are so very, very wrong!

Jack
I know well the feeling. To become a reviled figure amongst my acquaintances all I have to do is state that The Thin Red Line is a better war movie than Saving Private Ryan...cue the end of the world. -- Al

IF they remake it - they ought to try for something different. You know - nothing's set in stone. Why not go off-piste - stretch the envelope a little................

How about a Musical version?;)

Any ideas on songs or cast etc????? Have a nice one...............jb:D

I know well the feeling. To become a reviled figure amongst my acquaintances all I have to do is state that The Thin Red Line is a better war movie than Saving Private Ryan...cue the end of the world. -- Al

'Better' always depends on what criteria you are using but I think objectively it would be safe to say that TTRL it is a more intelligent film.

You have to give my friend Jack some latitude with his taste here, after all he does sometimes wear Elvis shirts and Maroon velvet jackets in public! :rolleyes2:

Wayne.

Sometimes a re-make is good in its own right, for example True Grit. The recent version was pretty good. And a lot of people on this forum, or some anyway, aren't fans of the Duke to begin with. {eek3}

Hope they never make a re-make Kelly's Heroes. Can't improve on perfection. :wink2: Chris

Sometimes a re-make is good in its own right, for example True Grit. The recent version was pretty good. And a lot of people on this forum, or some anyway, aren't fans of the Duke to begin with. {eek3}

Hope they never make a re-make Kelly's Heroes. Can't improve on perfection. :wink2: Chris
Very true. I am a huge John Wayne fan and I liked the True Grit remake very much. Thought Bridges was outstanding and the girl who played Mattie character was much better then Kim Darby. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back