Retired Pieces (1 Viewer)

mblair1977

Private 2
When pieces are retired and no longer available in the shops and from the manufacturers, they are for the most part just gone off of the face of the earth. Collectors really hang on to them! You don't see a lot of retired pieces for sale. I would imagine if they were to sell some retired unfindable pieces the price would be double or even triple original cost. Selling an entire series that's unfindable could pay a mortgage off! ^&grin

Would love to hear some stories. Has anyone bought or sold retired pieces at a premium?

ROM216 came to me via Denmark, I'm in Tennessee. It was impossible to find one in the US. So I paid with shipping $109 for the piece to have him shipped over.

IMG_6305.JPG

Interesting topic 'the retired/secondhand market'.

I've found being patient is an important virtue when searching for a much sort after TS item over the years.

In fact at least half of my collection has been purchased after the item has been retired or from the second hand market and my entire collection has been brought overseas as we don't have TS shops here in NZ.

TF has been a goldmine over the years for finding stuff and I've made many friends on here who have helped me locate those allusive items over the years.

I recall picking up a much sort after K&C Crusader figure a couple of years ago for just over its original retail price and it had been retired for many years and normally sold for silly money. To that end I have been very fortunate.

For me the search is part of the fun of this great hobby of ours.....

Interesting topic 'the retired/secondhand market'.

I've found being patient is an important virtue when searching for a much sort after TS item over the years.

In fact at least half of my collection has been purchased after the item has been retired or from the second hand market and my entire collection has been brought overseas as we don't have TS shops here in NZ.

TF has been a goldmine over the years for finding stuff and I've made many friends on here who have helped me locate those allusive items over the years.

I recall picking up a much sort after K&C Crusader figure a couple of years ago for just over its original retail price and it had been retired for many years and normally sold for silly money. To that end I have been very fortunate.

For me the search is part of the fun of this great hobby of ours.....

I do agree, the search is part of the fun! I collect mostly FL and JJD, but collectors of the ones with low and limited runs of each piece must really have a hard time completing a series.

I do agree, the search is part of the fun! I collect mostly FL and JJD, but collectors of the ones with low and limited runs of each piece must really have a hard time completing a series.

I think for some manufactures with limited runs their philosophy is first in first served. I guess this is good for business to a certain degree, however as you rightly point out many prospective collectors end up missing out.

I think for some manufactures with limited runs their philosophy is first in first served. I guess this is good for business to a certain degree, however as you rightly point out many prospective collectors end up missing out.

I wonder if the pricing for a retired, used, limited run piece would cost you more than one that’s not a limited run, but still retired and hard to find? At the end of the day both pieces are hard to find.

Agree sometimes the fun in the hobby is the hunt. Although I was fairly exhausted hunting for the club figure of K&C Royal Mountie for 2 years. Could not believe it was so hard to find on the secondary market. Finally found two on different eBay listings in the last few months, both available only in USA, requiring the help of a forum member to get them for me. Very special figures given their journey to secure. Once again found the forum invaluable. I have been guilty of paying excessive prices when figures are rare, but that’s the plight of a collector, especially when you are a completist. Interesting thread. Robin.

Agree sometimes the fun in the hobby is the hunt. Although I was fairly exhausted hunting for the club figure of K&C Royal Mountie for 2 years. Could not believe it was so hard to find on the secondary market. Finally found two on different eBay listings in the last few months, both available only in USA, requiring the help of a forum member to get them for me. Very special figures given their journey to secure. Once again found the forum invaluable. I have been guilty of paying excessive prices when figures are rare, but that’s the plight of a collector, especially when you are a completist. Interesting thread. Robin.

Great story Robin! I love that forum members helped you get those hard to find pieces!

I wonder if the pricing for a retired, used, limited run piece would cost you more than one that’s not a limited run, but still retired and hard to find? At the end of the day both pieces are hard to find.

To be honest it really depends on the item in question and whose trying to sell it and how many pieces are out there on offer?

The law of supply and demand I guess?

I steer clear of the greedy sods who I have zero time for and only in it for the money.

Like Robin, several members and dealers have been extremely helpful over the years and I'm incredibly thankful and why I enjoy helping out others if I can.

I also suffer from the curse of the completist, when you are missing one figure you will pay the asking price as long as you are able to...
There was an FL Napoleonic that sold for $575.00 on ebay, original price was $35! Look at the FL tanks going for thousands of dollars...

I also suffer from the curse of the completist, when you are missing one figure you will pay the asking price as long as you are able to...
There was an FL Napoleonic that sold for $575.00 on ebay, original price was $35! Look at the FL tanks going for thousands of dollars...

{eek3} I do love the FL Naps, but man oh man, $575 would be tough...

To be honest it really depends on the item in question and whose trying to sell it and how many pieces are out there on offer?

The law of supply and demand I guess?

I steer clear of the greedy sods who I have zero time for and only in it for the money.

Like Robin, several members and dealers have been extremely helpful over the years and I'm incredibly thankful and why I enjoy helping out others if I can.

Toddy:

Your thoughts really sum up what I think most people feel about the sale/acquiring of retired items.

Best,
Jason.

It’s an interesting topic.

There are those who are clearly trying to profit from the rarity of retired pieces. There’s enough evidence of this on Ebay.

However, if you wish to sell a retired piece, do you try to maximize the sale price, or sell at a lower price and risk someone else profiting from it?

Great topic!

Most of my collection has been found on the secondary market. Durbar figures from Marlborough are unfortunately not in production and while I hope the company will rise again it’s probably not going to be anytime soon. So I look to auction sites and hope I can get a set or two at a reasonable price. Like Toddy already mentioned you do find some pretty greedy folks out there but if you are patient you can find sets and individual figures at good prices. I recently picked up a set of camel mounted figures at a price very close to original retail so it’s possible to find good prices but again patience is a must. Also I enjoy the hunt because you never know what you will stumble across.

Good luck

Dave

It’s an interesting topic.

There are those who are clearly trying to profit from the rarity of retired pieces. There’s enough evidence of this on Ebay.

However, if you wish to sell a retired piece, do you try to maximize the sale price, or sell at a lower price and risk someone else profiting from it?

Excellent point. There's collectors and there's resellers all looking for those hard to find pieces.

Supply and demand I understand as well as emotional attachment, but price gouging is a fellow collector has always been pet peeve of mine.

Excellent point. There's collectors and there's resellers all looking for those hard to find pieces.

Supply and demand I understand as well as emotional attachment, but price gouging is a fellow collector has always been pet peeve of mine.

I agree, profiteering from a fellow collector does leave a bad taste in the mouth. But how does one identify a genuine collector from a re-seller?

Just to add, I haven’t sold anything. This conundrum is stopping me from selling pieces I no longer want.

You guys never met Capitol Ron, an early member here. Quite a character.

I agree, profiteering from a fellow collector does leave a bad taste in the mouth. But how does one identify a genuine collector from a re-seller?

Just to add, I haven’t sold anything. This conundrum is stopping me from selling pieces I no longer want.

Certainly shouldn’t stop you from selling. Selling unwanted pieces to make room for new series is part of the fun of collecting. If the the pieces are retired and impossible or hard to find then the price would certainly be higher, that is how any collectibles of any kind work. I think what most guys are turned off by are the ones that are asking an astronomical markup for those pieces, which is their right to do so. It is then up to the buyer to decide if it’s worth it.

This topic comes up from time to time. I am a free market thinker and whatever it brings, it brings, both ways. What I don't like is the constant whine that I sometimes hear from folks who cry they missed something, etc or they get mad b/c it is worth more than when in production and they expect to pay the original price when it consistently sells for 1, 2, 3 or whatever times the original price. Also, how about all of the "can I get a deal pleas" you see. Hey, I don't fault anyone for making an offer, you just have to realize the other person doesn't have to accept it. Just like you can offer a piece for sale, but you might not find a buyer willing to pay your price!

I can only really comment on the way I choose to do things - when I am seeking items, if they are rare and I want it, then I do my best within my means to buy it. I have paid a kingly sum for certain pieces in my collection especially Russian items. That said, I have also paid a kingly sum for original K&C Paper Mache bldgs. I have bought Metal Shed items. I have paid quite handsomely for a K&C Beatles set that originally cost $100. Is it a problem that it has traded between 500 and 1000? No, that is what it is. Point I am making is that it is hard to fault people who are in business, they want to make a profit and they are entitled to make as much as they can. The same can be said for collectors who finance their own collections through the hobby. I do that, it is hit or miss. I have bought somethings at auction that I get my money back, other things 10x , etc. There is no guarantee. For me, the buy/sell and seek/find is all part of the thrill ride of the hobby for me.

One point you also have to remember about dealers and resellers - they are taking a risk. They are putting their capital out there and they have no guarantee at how much return (if any) or how long it is going to take to sell.

And of course, like others I am sure, I have given items away to friends in the hobby, I have also sold items to friends. My rule is if I sell to a good hobby friend, I charge them what I paid. That is sometimes high and sometimes low, but it is a rule I stick by whenever possible and whenever I have memory and records.

Just my 2 cents.
Tom

a wonderful member here gave me the frontline rangers and indians for a great price- almost the complete line of rare sets. I was thankful to pay a fair price and complete the quest. I also once gave a rare set for a very low and fair price from King and Country to a collector who then turned around and sold it. I am up front when i find a collection and intend to resell it ....dont hate the players hate the game, or dont hate the game hate the players? have fun, just not at others expense.
GL

This topic comes up from time to time. I am a free market thinker and whatever it brings, it brings, both ways. What I don't like is the constant whine that I sometimes hear from folks who cry they missed something, etc or they get mad b/c it is worth more than when in production and they expect to pay the original price when it consistently sells for 1, 2, 3 or whatever times the original price. Also, how about all of the "can I get a deal pleas" you see. Hey, I don't fault anyone for making an offer, you just have to realize the other person doesn't have to accept it. Just like you can offer a piece for sale, but you might not find a buyer willing to pay your price!

I can only really comment on the way I choose to do things - when I am seeking items, if they are rare and I want it, then I do my best within my means to buy it. I have paid a kingly sum for certain pieces in my collection especially Russian items. That said, I have also paid a kingly sum for original K&C Paper Mache bldgs. I have bought Metal Shed items. I have paid quite handsomely for a K&C Beatles set that originally cost $100. Is it a problem that it has traded between 500 and 1000? No, that is what it is. Point I am making is that it is hard to fault people who are in business, they want to make a profit and they are entitled to make as much as they can. The same can be said for collectors who finance their own collections through the hobby. I do that, it is hit or miss. I have bought somethings at auction that I get my money back, other things 10x , etc. There is no guarantee. For me, the buy/sell and seek/find is all part of the thrill ride of the hobby for me.

One point you also have to remember about dealers and resellers - they are taking a risk. They are putting their capital out there and they have no guarantee at how much return (if any) or how long it is going to take to sell.

And of course, like others I am sure, I have given items away to friends in the hobby, I have also sold items to friends. My rule is if I sell to a good hobby friend, I charge them what I paid. That is sometimes high and sometimes low, but it is a rule I stick by whenever possible and whenever I have memory and records.

Just my 2 cents.
Tom

Tom:

Great post.

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back