ROM025-ROM030 Ancient German Warriors!!! (1 Viewer)

FirstLegion

Sergeant Major
First Legion is pleased to present the first of the enemies of Imperial Rome, the Ancient Germans! The Ancient Germans were among Imperial Romes staunchest adversaries. Though the Romans won many of the Wars, they were never fully able to subjugate Germany the way that they had most of their other enemies. As such, Ancient Germany remained the northern border of the Roman Empire. Throughout the period of late Republic and Empire, there were a series of wars and uneasy truces that would last until the late Empire when the Ancient German tribes were among the many who went on to sack Rome. Though useable throughout the entire period, we have presented the Ancient Germans during the Marcomannic Wars between 166 and 180 AD facing off against Marcus Aurelius. So these figures are pefect for such tribes as the Marcomanni, the Quadi, and so many others. They will make a wonderful and much needed addition to any serious Roman toy soldier collection!

ROM025 German Warrior Charging Imperial Roman Vignette - $179.95
ROM026 Noble Germanic Chieftan - $59.95
ROM027 German Warrior Standard Bearer - $69.95
ROM028 German Warrior Horn Player - $64.95
ROM029 German Warrior Charging with Spear and Quilted Cape - $69.95
ROM030 German Warrior Charging with Axe - $59.95
Shipping Late April 2012

rom025page1.jpg

ROM025

rom025page4.jpg

ROM025

rom026page1.jpg

ROM026

rom027page2.jpg

ROM027

rom027page3.jpg

ROM027

rom028page1.jpg

ROM028

rom028page3.jpg

ROM028

rom029page1.jpg

ROM029

rom029page2.jpg

ROM029

rom030page1.jpg

ROM030

These figures represent the first of two releases of our coverage of the Ancient Germans and will be shipping in late April. The next release will have 10 additional figures and will ship in mid-June, so stay tuned for more news on those. After that, its back to the Romans.

We sincerely hope you enjoy the figures!

Best,

Matt
First Legion Ltd

I've been waiting for this pre-order...the Germanic Tribesmen look great! It's also great know that the next releases will consist of ten more ancient Germans!{eek3}

Also, I'm sure others who have been wondering if the range will grow to include other enemies of Rome noticed this too: "First Legion is pleased to present the first of the enemies of Imperial Rome". One possible interpretation being that the Germanic's are just the beginning of what could be a long line of Roman adversaries. (YES!!) That's what the announcement could be construed to imply at least. In any case, it sure is fun to speculate!:smile2: For now, I'm plenty happy with these furious fighters.

Congrats to FL for this very fine release and for the expansion and success of the Glory of Rome range.

Joe

Great stuff , the vignette looks like a nice stand alone piece .
With a bit of luck we will get to see some celts at some point in time .

Good news for the fans of this historical period!
Nice dioramas available in the future {sm4}!
Best
Xavier

Hello Matt,
These warriors Germans are simply superb.
I think I will again "betray" my Emperor Napoleon!^&grin^&grin^&grin
Thank you.
Cordially. Guy.{bravo}}

Finally my Romans will have some German adversaries to face off against. What a great release to find 1st thing in the morning. {bravo}}

Wow,,,,what do you know, German warriors that aren't goosestepping!!

These guys look great. I already sent an email to my dealer for the vignette. Thanks First Legion the quality and pace of your releases are really making it easy for me to sit back and enjoy this hobby again.

Looking forward to more!!

At last, at last . . . . now the battles begin in earnest . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Those are some great looking adversaries for Fl's Roman Legions and I am happy for all the Roman collectors. And to think, this is just the first batch of Germans.....

Noah

They do look good ...if they compare to the Romans .WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I will be waiting for any Celts and maybe Boudecia and her chariot....will always pick up the Romans though....^&grin

I wonder whether those collectors intending to represent the battle of the Teutoburger Wald (9 CE) rather than the Macromannic Wars (166 and 180 CE) have found any sources confirming the (i) elaborate helmet of the chief, (b) the Draco banner or (iii) the carnyx (horn) as being used by the Germanic tribes participating in the Varus battle. Matt Pavone was obviously heavily influenced by the plates in Osprey's book "The Enemies of Rome, Part I" depicting the Marcomanni and the Quadi. But being faced with pre-ordering my first ancient Germans, I am afraid I have to limit my order to the vignette and the two charging warriors.

Here is the plate with the Marcomanni and the Quadi from the above referenced Osprey title:

9780850454734PC_th.jpg

I thought the Germanic figures might be meant to be Dacians since Legio I Minerva helped Trajan during the Dacian War. This might explain the chieftan's helmet, the dragon flag, and the horn . . . . just a thought . . .
:smile2: Mike

Thank you, Mike.

Matt in his introduction to the Ancient Germans range did refer to the Makromanni and Quadi. So does the Osprey title. Both tribes interacted with the Romans a lot as they lived on the Roman border. I hence believe their culture was different from that of the tribes that lived more in the interior of Germanica Minor. In addition, more than a century lies between the Cheruscii at the Battle of the Teutoburger Forrest and the Makromanni and Quadi of the Makromanni Wars.

From own experience, I can say that Germanic tribes from the interior have nothing Mediterranean about them. They wish they did, though. For now, it is Pizza and Chianti.

Just received my first order of the German Warriors 026, 027, and 028, from George. They're probably the finest figures yet from Matt and FL... Light-years better than even the photo's on the internet. How anyone on this forum can compare them with the 2 other major companies is beyond me. These 3 figures are as good if not better than any of my Russian Romans. Thanks Matt, cant wait for the next release...

Just received my first order of the German Warriors 026, 027, and 028, from George. They're probably the finest figures yet from Matt and FL... Light-years better than even the photo's on the internet. How anyone on this forum can compare them with the 2 other major companies is beyond me. These 3 figures are as good if not better than any of my Russian Romans. Thanks Matt, cant wait for the next release...

There is no comparison:wink2:....Quite simply: First Legion's superior quality is also quite evident in the other FL ranges.....The Crusaders, Naps and Stalingrad ranges are superb as well.

Congrats Pugio! I would love to see some pics if you get a chance. I'll be getting mine soon.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back