ROM110-ROM114 Imperial Roman Testudo (1 Viewer)

FirstLegion

Sergeant Major
First Legion is pleased to present the next release for our Glory of Rome figure range, the Roman Testudo! The Testudo, or Tortoise, was a formation widely used by the Roman Empire most notably during sieges such as that at Jerusalem or other walled cities. The concept behind the formation was for the legionaries to form in close order with interlocking shields such that the men were protected from the sides, front, and overhead by a linked wall of shields guarding them from various forms of missile fire as they advanced. We have presented the figures for this release such that a modular Testudo can be formed in any size desired by the collector from as few as six figures to no upper limit. For guidance on which figures go where, please view the setup guide below which shows the layout and position of each figure. In addition, the front, left, and right rank figures can also be used in a non-Testudo display as a close order line of battle advancing towards the enemy. These figures will be shipping in about 12 days in mid-August.

testudocover.jpg

ROM110 Imperial Roman Legionary Front Rank Testudo - $59.95
ROM111 Imperial Roman Legionary Right Side Testudo - $59.95
ROM112 Imperial Roman Legionary Left Side Testudo - $59.95
ROM113 Imperial Roman Legionary Testudo Cover Variant 1 - Center - $59.95
ROM114 Imperial Roman Legionary Testudo Cover Variant 2 - Outside Row - $59.95
Shipping mid-August

ROM110page1.jpg

ROM110

ROM111page1.jpg

ROM111

ROM112page1.jpg

ROM112

ROM113page1.jpg

ROM113

ROM114page2.jpg

ROM114

Best,

Matt
First Legion

Last edited:
FUDGE!!!!!! This will cost a small fortune but it is a must have 4 me.

Glad I,m not a Roman collector. To do this right I would have to put my wife back to work!
Gary

This is awesome (Lego Movie music in the background) I can see how much fun Constantine and Matt had coming up with this.

I wonder whether there historically was something like a Testudolino (a little tortoise) as well and which Matt is referring to when saying you can build a formation with as little as six figures.

Thank you!! Matt!!, I have been wishing for this for years, now its here yippee!!!.

Great looking sets Matt, the Roman collectors have go to be thrilled with the new sets, and also, just maybe mind you, when Matt starts dropping new sets/releases on here they are usually followed by a newsletter shortly there after, sure would love to see a newsletter before Chicago goes down next month...Sammy

Since this is a family friendly forum, I can't write what I said out loud when I saw this. ^&grin

I will just say that this is beyond amazing and leave it at that.

Outstandingly unique, cool, impressive and expensive......thank goodness I don't dabble in the Romans. {sm4}

Just amazing this Testudo. {sm3}
I did collect the FL Imperial Romans. But unfortunately this one is too expensive for me. But I'm looking forward seeing some pictures here on the forum soon from fellow collectors with a nice Testudo setup.

Great release Matt.

That would be around $1,800. If that is one of the periods that interest you and you can afford it, why not? ^&cool

I'll buy a whole set .....if First Legion can give me ....Queen Boudicca..... Ancient Britons and a chariot to fight them !!!!!!!!!!!!!^&grin^&grin

These look great! Incredible level of planning, engineering and design to make it work for as few figures as six or as many as you like.

On a side note:
I can't imagine seeing that juggernaut marching at me from across the battlefield. Let's see, we have some spears to throw over there and some arrows to loose at them. Hammers, swords, etc. for the in close work. Sounds like it's time to
run-away-monty-python-gif1.jpg

Theres a diagram on another forum by FL and it says 30 figures,5 across and 6 deep,but I see what your saying.
Mark

Great set. If I were to duplicate this, I would need to sneak up on it over a number of months. It's always worrying when you get an item that has no limits. Remembering buying road mats and not sure how long the road should be, it has to end before the money runs out though, same deal for the Testudo.^&grin, Robin.

FL has a set up guide on it's website and also the picture of the set up here on post #1 and they are slightly different.That explains the 30-40 difference.
Mark

Because it's modular, you can create the Testudo in any size desired. We've shown a very large one, but you can also create a good looking one such as the one below. This one uses 16 figures, 5 in each outside column and 3 in each center column. It's width can be expanded by adding 3 figures for an extra center column and the depth can be expanded as well. The width can also be decreased to only 2 columns totaling 10 figures. Adding width takes fewer figures than adding depth because of how the outside ranks work with the figures interlocked.

testudo16.jpg

Best,

Matt

FL has a set up guide on it's website and also the picture of the set up here on post #1 and they are slightly different.That explains the 30-40 difference.
Mark

Mark:

No worries, I was only looking at the TF pic, but I see that Matt has posted a pic of a smaller one on here now.

I might need to use the smaller pic as a sample for my wife, that way she will not notice if I go for the 30-40 set-up. :cool:

-Jason

Mark:

I might need to use the smaller pic as a sample for my wife, that way she will not notice if I go for the 30-40 set-up. :cool:

-Jason

LOL ... adding every couple of weeks another row might work :wink2:

I like your thinking Jason !

Oliver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back