Rose Miniatures (2 Viewers)

Phoenix also had a four horse mail coach in their range which might be more acceptable for a highwayman scene. Trooper

Re: Rose Miniatures, paper pattern

Good day Gentlemen,
this is the first time I've posted on this site. I visited Rose Miniatures in the early 1980's to pick up some stock, I don't know what I expected, but it was a house in a normal London street. Russell and his his wife made me very welcome and showed me the workshop.
At the moment I have unearthed the Rose Miniature "Officer 4th Light Dragoon 1822", which I'm preparing to paint. However I lack the paper pattern for the shabraque that was included in the catalogue. Does any Treefrog Treasures members have the pattern that they could e-mail to me.
Regards, Neil Houlton

I don't have the paper pattern, but I think we could find you enough references to make your own, if that helps.

Martin

Neil,

I've found in a book called "the Thin Red Line" by Brian Fosten, a coloured plate of the 9th Light Dragoons, 1816 - 20

If that helps I can scan and post for you.

These dragoons look like Lancers to me,

John

I think this may be the one you want. Sorry, I don't have the paper pattern - but I fell in love with that figure too, so bought him from John - and used this picture as my guide to paint up my version of the figure. Hope that helps............johnnybach

img014.jpg

Officer4thLtDragoons1822.jpg

By the way - he turned out like this in Toy Soldier Glossy style.

Last edited:

Good day Gentlemen,
this is the first time I've posted on this site. I visited Rose Miniatures in the early 1980's to pick up some stock, I don't know what I expected, but it was a house in a normal London street. Russell and his his wife made me very welcome and showed me the workshop.
At the moment I have unearthed the Rose Miniature "Officer 4th Light Dragoon 1822", which I'm preparing to paint. However I lack the paper pattern for the shabraque that was included in the catalogue. Does any Treefrog Treasures members have the pattern that they could e-mail to me.
Regards, Neil Houlton

Welcome to the forum, Neil!

I have several Rose catalogs, some of which include a page with various shabraques, eg, British army from various periods, Imperial German, French Napoleonic. They're in black-and-white, with no color callouts, but I always thought that they were intended to be cut out and colored for use with the model. In any case, I can see if I can scan them and email you the file, if you'd like. I think they also include holster covers.

Prost!
Brad

Phoenix also had a four horse mail coach in their range which might be more acceptable for a highwayman scene. Trooper

Phoenix also had a highwayman, now that I recall. That may be available now at Forty-Third, Ltd, too.

Prost!
Brad

Neil,

I've found in a book called "the Thin Red Line" by Brian Fosten, a coloured plate of the 9th Light Dragoons, 1816 - 20

If that helps I can scan and post for you.

These dragoons look like Lancers to me,

John

They are the 9th Lancers. It was a while after conversion to lancers that the name changed. You'll notice especially during the Napoleonic period a lot of the Hussar regiments were still titled "Light Dragoons"

Martin

They are the 9th Lancers. It was a while after conversion to lancers that the name changed. You'll notice especially during the Napoleonic period a lot of the Hussar regiments were still titled "Light Dragoons"

Martin

...or better expressed, the light dragoon regiments were dressed like hussars ;)

...or better expressed, the light dragoon regiments were dressed like hussars ;)

Light dragoons wore a braided jacket up until 1812 and from then on wore the lancer style jacket. Trooper

Hi Neil. Further to my earlier picture. If you can get hold of a copy of "British Military Uniforms, from Contemporary Pictures - Henry V to the Present Day" first published in1957 and written by W.Y. Carman (ask in the local Library - they may be able to help) - you will find the picture I posted, titled "An Officer of the 4th Light Dragoons", as Plate 70 (between pages 90-91). My own copy is a reprinted version (1968) published by Hamlyn.

There is also a very good paragraph later in the book (on page 120), which deals with the uniform of Light Dragoons between 1820 - 1836. There is an excellent description there of the dress of the 4th Light Dragoons - at the specific date of 1822 - which is what you want. Carman specifically mention the Light Yellow facings on the Dark Blue Jacket,(and also mentions that illustrations often appeared buff - as in Plate 70).

In fact, great changes occured to uniforms after the Coronation of George IV in 1820. When he became King, he brought about the introduction of printed regulations of Army Uniforms in 1822 -which give us a lot of information on uniforms at that time.

I actually first came across the book in my Local Library ( in the Reference Only section), but later found a reasonably priced copy on Amazon. I find it very useful - and can recommend it to you - if you are interested. johnnybach

Welcome to the forum, Neil!

I have several Rose catalogs, some of which include a page with various shabraques, eg, British army from various periods, Imperial German, French Napoleonic. They're in black-and-white, with no color callouts, but I always thought that they were intended to be cut out and colored for use with the model. In any case, I can see if I can scan them and email you the file, if you'd like. I think they also include holster covers.

Prost!
Brad

Hi Brad,

thank you for such a prompt reply, I would be grateful for those scans. I intend to use the patterns to sculpt the shabraques in "Milliput". I will post the finished model when I have enough time to put an album together.

Seasons greetings to all,

Neil Houlton

Hi Neil. Further to my earlier picture. If you can get hold of a copy of "British Military Uniforms, from Contemporary Pictures - Henry V to the Present Day" first published in1957 and written by W.Y. Carman (ask in the local Library - they may be able to help) - you will find the picture I posted, titled "An Officer of the 4th Light Dragoons", as Plate 70 (between pages 90-91). My own copy is a reprinted version (1968) published by Hamlyn.

There is also a very good paragraph later in the book (on page 120), which deals with the uniform of Light Dragoons between 1820 - 1836. There is an excellent description there of the dress of the 4th Light Dragoons - at the specific date of 1822 - which is what you want. Carman specifically mention the Light Yellow facings on the Dark Blue Jacket,(and also mentions that illustrations often appeared buff - as in Plate 70).

In fact, great changes occured to uniforms after the Coronation of George IV in 1820. When he became King, he brought about the introduction of printed regulations of Army Uniforms in 1822 -which give us a lot of information on uniforms at that time.

I actually first came across the book in my Local Library ( in the Reference Only section), but later found a reasonably priced copy on Amazon. I find it very useful - and can recommend it to you - if you are interested. johnnybach

Hi johnnybach,

thanks, I will look for a copy of the "Carman" book. I also found a one page article in Military Modelling magazine dated August 1991. Speaking of which, I think the best series they ever produced was the "Cut of the Cloth" which ran between January 1982 and June 1986 and was written and illustrated by the Fosten brothers. The series was so much better than the "Thin Red Line" book that came out, I made my own book/file of this amazing work and use it constantly, if only that had been published instead.

Cheers. Neil.

Hi johnnybach,

thanks, I will look for a copy of the "Carman" book. I also found a one page article in Military Modelling magazine dated August 1991. Speaking of which, I think the best series they ever produced was the "Cut of the Cloth" which ran between January 1982 and June 1986 and was written and illustrated by the Fosten brothers. The series was so much better than the "Thin Red Line" book that came out, I made my own book/file of this amazing work and use it constantly, if only that had been published instead.

Cheers. Neil.

There was also an articlle on 1820s Light Dragoons in MM about 1978, I've got it filed away somewhere. Those were the days when it was worth buying, they'd be better off re-printing old copies rather than all the endless kit builds that are in there now!

Martin

Hi Brad,

thank you for such a prompt reply, I would be grateful for those scans. I intend to use the patterns to sculpt the shabraques in "Milliput". I will post the finished model when I have enough time to put an album together.

Seasons greetings to all,

Neil Houlton

Hi, Neil, sorry for the delay in checking back! I'll scan them tonight, and barring any technical difficulties, I'll be able to email the images to you.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back