Rugby world cup 2007 (4 Viewers)

A Yankee fan? Never, I'm a Metropolitan fan through and through since 1962. Let's Go Mets!

Well, that's a step up, a slight one, but one nevertheless.

Here in Ireland there were a few delusional people who thought that the team would do well in the World Cup. Their unimpressive run in the 6 Nations didn't seem to dispel people of this unfounded belief - some even said that it was just what they needed to improve them so the team has had to remind people just how bad they are with a series of dreadful warm-up games. (I think Argentina will come out of Ireland's group instead of us). Overall I think France will do it.

baseball is boring

:eek::eek::eek:
WHAT?!?!?!

I gotta say, if you want real sport, baseball is okay, (certainly not boring) but mid and long-distance Track is fantastic!!!

Ever try and watch a baseball game on TV? Egads, certain cure for insomnia. I ran track and cross coutry in high school, it used to bore me to tears while I was running. Give me boxing, good boxers.

Good point; I don't watch sports on TV--it's just boring.
I gotta disagree on the second point, though; I enjoy watching track for short periods of time.

As an interested Brit can you guys tell if baseball is much more popular than American football over there?.

Rob

Football, American style is by far the most popular sport, the NFL rules at least here in the old USA.

I love boxing, but even I have to admit, that the glory days are in the past. When fighters become champions and they can't even throw a left jab, right cross combination, something is seriously wrong. Back in the mid 70's and late 80's there were perhaps 30 parks in Chicago that had boxing programs, now you're lucky if you can find 5.

I see,for some reason i thought baseball was the US national sport.Did you ever see the Hearns v Hagler fight,it only went three rounds but i was a classic.

Rob

They call baseball the national pastime, but football is more popular by far.

Yes, I did see that fight, it was a classic, short but sweet.

My favorites were, Duran, Danny little red Lopez, Sean O'Grady and Boom Boom Mancini. Managed to meet O'Grady at a fight once, heck of a nice guy.

Ali,Hagler,Duran,Frazier,Tyson so many legends so many great fights.

Rob

I see,for some reason i thought baseball was the US national sport.

It was by far the most popular sport probably until the late 50's, early 60's, when they switched to a harder ball and made some other changes that, in my opinion, ruined the sport. Then came the steroid use...:mad:

More people play it then probably any other sport in some form, whether it be softball or hardball, ( in the US anyway) but not as much fun to watch as football.

As I said, TV sports are, I think, boring. Watching a baseball game in person, to me, is more fun that watching a football game in person. It's like a picnic, to me. Get a good hotdog, Coca Cola, and watch baseball. It is fun, healthy (not really), and about as American as Apple Pie!:)

More people play it then probably any other sport in some form, whether it be softball or hardball, ( in the US anyway) but not as much fun to watch as football.

I once had a "lively" discussion with an American on a transatlantic flight. I just couldn't convince him that some of the best football (okay - soccer) matches I'd seen ended up in a 0-0 draw. Takes all sorts I suppose.
PS. I suspect that you're talking America Football here, but couldn't resist chucking in my tuppence worth. :):)

I'm in agreement with you Harry. I've seen some great draws in the EPL. The American psyche craves constant (as what we define as) action so they can't appreciate a close competitive match or a 1-0 pitching duel in baseball. Unless Americans see lots of scoring, they just can't warm up to it. Sad.

I'm in agreement with you Harry. I've seen some great draws in the EPL. The American psyche craves constant (as what we define as) action so they can't appreciate a close competitive match or a 1-0 pitching duel in baseball. Unless Americans see lots of scoring, they just can't warm up to it. Sad.

Yeah, I hope no-one thinks I was having a go at American sports cos I wasn't. Its just that football (soccer) is the most popular game in the world. I suspect that as the USA Latin population increases (and Spanish more and more becomes your national language...LOL :D) then football (soccer) will increasingly become more popular on your side of the pond.
;):eek::):)

I am of Latin ancestry, and I have never, not once in my life, suffered to sit through a "football" (soccer) game. They're not bad, but niether is competative bowling, if you catch my drift...

I am of Latin ancestry, and I have never, not once in my life, suffered to sit through a "football" (soccer) game. They're not bad, but niether is competative bowling, if you catch my drift...

Ooooooh.....you're skating on thin ice young man......:D:D:eek::eek::D

Very thin and it's even sadder that he's of latin ancestry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back