Sailing the South China Seas (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

Just to check if the junk box had any king and country names on it?

Best regards

Hi all,

Best regards

Oops you are asking about the box, over to someone else, I threw mine in the recycle depot already, but fairly sure it had no markings from K&C. I have no room to store boxes alas. Cheers, Robin.

Hi Robin,

I just recieved the junk as well. An excellent piece :)

Good to know you are happy with it too, hard to find fault with it, makes a nice diorama piece, especially if you collect SOHK & IC. Hoping to see some photo's, cheers, Robin.

superb looking boat/junk. If this wooden trend seems to be a success how about moving up a few years to WWII? There were some barges utilised by the germans into flak boats in th west etc that would be a great addition and, they could also be incorporated into the russian front transporting troops across rivers (both russian and germans) to bolster defensive and attacking positions
Mitch

Hi all,

Best regards

The box is non descript and not necessarily worth saving. However, the Junk came surrounded by a wooden frame and that is worth saving for future packing.

The box is non descript and not necessarily worth saving. However, the Junk came surrounded by a wooden frame and that is worth saving for future packing.
If your saving the wood frame, you might as well save the frame and box together...especially since the box is proper in size?

I asked with Andy about the Sailing Junk and future plans during the Chicago Show. K&C only ordered 50 of the Sailing Junks from a factory in China as a test of whether a wooden, hand-carved boat of this type and price point will sell. Andy worried collectors would think the $489 price would too expensive, but I told him that I thought it was a very fair and reasonable price for this boat. At the time of the Chicago Show, Andy said there was a Chinese pirate version of the Sailing Junk, and that if the Sailing Junk did well, K&C would release that version. Given the quick sellout, I think we can expect the pirate version.^&grin
Thanks for sharing this info Steven! I think the boat is very well priced, even favorable. As long as I have been involved here I think this is the greatest collector deal yet!

Markey

If your saving the wood frame, you might as well save the frame and box together...especially since the box is proper in size?

Probably should have been clearer. I am saving the box for that reason but if you only intend to save the box because it has some K & C markings, it doesn't have any. The outer box I disposed of but I would be worried about shipping it.

Right now, I need to find a proper place for it and considering my current space constraints, that may stay like that for awhile, particularly since I want to start collecting SOHK.

Last edited:
I asked with Andy about the Sailing Junk and future plans during the Chicago Show. K&C only ordered 50 of the Sailing Junks from a factory in China as a test of whether a wooden, hand-carved boat of this type and price point will sell. Andy worried collectors would think the $489 price would too expensive, but I told him that I thought it was a very fair and reasonable price for this boat. At the time of the Chicago Show, Andy said there was a Chinese pirate version of the Sailing Junk, and that if the Sailing Junk did well, K&C would release that version. Given the quick sellout, I think we can expect the pirate version.^&grin

I didn't discuss the price with Andy (other than that it was nicely done and hoped that he might think about making some crew in the future) since I didn't think it was necessarily open for discussion and the price is the price and I didn't want to get yelled at for complaining about it ^&grin However, I do think it's a little expensive (but not terribly) but, again, it is what it is, and certainly worth it considering it's a one of a kind item. If a pirate ship is offered, I will certainly plunk down the dollars.

Brad

Hi Brad,

Really appreciate your reply, think i will keep the box for transportation purposes and also for storage till i have made an acrylic or glass case to cover the junk. Just a thought that K & C should have "nicer" box to contain something so wonderful. Price wise i guess, to each his own, where price tag is tagged to how a person perceives the item to be of that value. I thought that the price would be much higher if made of a different material. I am not sure if Andy would come up with another Junk not Pirate Junk and make it a standard item other than limited item, since the initial sale is very encouraging. :eek:

Phoong,

I'm also thinking about some sort of a glass case and had started to look at cases they put ship's models in but they're not cheap so I haven't decided yet.

I'm generally ok with the price since it's made of wood and has some very nice detail. Considering that some tanks and AFVs cost around $300, I think this is pretty good value, not to mention that you and I have two of only 50 made. That's worth something itself! :wink2:

Brad

Hi Brad,

Really appreciate your reply, think i will keep the box for transportation purposes and also for storage till i have made an acrylic or glass case to cover the junk. Just a thought that K & C should have "nicer" box to contain something so wonderful. Price wise i guess, to each his own, where price tag is tagged to how a person perceives the item to be of that value. I thought that the price would be much higher if made of a different material. I am not sure if Andy would come up with another Junk not Pirate Junk and make it a standard item other than limited item, since the initial sale is very encouraging. :eek:
Phoong,
I highly suspect making fancy boxes in such limited numbers is not beneficial for either party. I can say without a doubt that K&C's profit margin is not attractive on this one. If 50 items sold for 489.00 ea. Total sales would equal $24,450. Add in other associated costs...crate design & cost/packaging/art for advertising/employee/s time involved...and let's not forget the actual cost to purchase the items itself...and the free give away figure, or any returned damaged sets!!! It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this item didn't even pay for Andy's plane ticket to Chicago{eek3}

Kudos to the K&C team!

Markey

I am very happy with my junk. The kids always call my stuff junk anyway. Now they are right. Would love to see some crew.

I just sent Brad and Terry a photograph of my K&C wooden junk on my Streets of Old Hong Kong Diorama, with a polite request that one of them post it on this thread.:smile2:

I would just like to say that I was really impressed with the detail on the Junk, and if, as discussed, Andy makes a pirate junk with canon and pirate figures, I am definitely in for one.^&cool^&cool

I would just like to say that I was really impressed with the detail on the Junk, and if, as discussed, Andy makes a pirate junk with canon and pirate figures, I am definitely in for one.^&cool^&cool

A great looking model! ^&cool sets off your display a treat Louis. :salute::

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back