Scenes from the HIRIART Workshop (1 Viewer)

Ready to make the mold for the Marder's gun. I am not exactly sure what he said, but I believe he said this would be the first half of the mold.

Always interesting to see how other people plan and layout their work - nice thread!

The mould above looks like the gun is embedded in clay ready to pour the first half of the mould. When that it set, you remove the clay and pour the second half to produce a 2-part mould

Mike

Always interesting to see how other people plan and layout their work - nice thread!

The mould above looks like the gun is embedded in clay ready to pour the first half of the mould. When that it set, you remove the clay and pour the second half to produce a 2-part mould

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am glad you like the thread. I also find it very interesting to see the process involved in making toy soldiers, especially when some of them are for me.

Thanks for the information on how a two-part mold is done.

Mike

Work continues on the castings for the second part of my 2015 order. On the glass is a double set of 1143 World War I French Infantry of the Line for Fred and two sets of 1222 French Foreign Legion 2nd Parachute Regiment for me and resale. In front of the glass, are sets 1219 Prinz Eugen Waffen SS, 1262 WWI Italian Infantry, and 1268 US Marines color party 1900 (without heads) for me and resale. In the box is set 1214 Madras Light Cavalry horses for Fred and me. To their left are set 1311 Japanese Infantry for Fred and two sets of 1222 Afrika Korps (without heads) for Tom D. and me. In the boxes on the far left are set 1166 Texas Rangers for Tom D. and Tommy, non-catalog XIX Century Turkish Artillery crew for Brian and me, and more horses.

Attachments

• Tarantino order 25 Nov 2015.jpg
    Tarantino order 25 Nov 2015.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
I received three more photos today from Uruguay showing the work in progress on the 2015 order; one of castings and two of painted figures. This worktable photo shows some castings of various sets: Left front, three sets of XIX Century Turkish Artillery for Brian and me. Right front, two sets of Zulu War Royal Horse Artillery gun teams for Damian and me. On the glass, two sets of 1222 French Foreign Legion 2nd Parachute Infantry Regiment for me and resale, a set of 1311 Japanese Infantry 1904 for Fred, and a set of Irish Rifles in greatcoats for me. Top left, two sets of 1261 Indian Mountain Artillery on mules for Damian and me, a double set of WWI German Alpen Korps Infantry and Alpen Korps Mountain Artillery for John, and a double set of 1214 4th Madras Light Cavalry for Fred plus one set for me.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 253
The first workshop photo shows a double set of 1143 French Infantry of the line 1914 in various stages of painting for Fred. There are three sets of 1166 Texas Rangers for Tom, Tommy, and someone from the American Embassy in Montevideo. There is also a set 1351 Argentine Cazadores de los Andes for me.

The second photo shows sets which have been painted and which have had a clear gloss applied, but have not had the metal colors painted yet. From left to right, they are set 1307 Peruvian Husares de Junin for me, set 1341 WWII Polish Infantry 1939 for me, set 1095 WWII German Infantry in greatcoats for me, set 1225 Romans for Tommy, set 1262 WWI Italians 1915 for me, set 1291 Italian Ascari Libiche 1929 for Randy, set 1355 Argentine Infernales de Guemes for Bob, set 1219 WWII Prinz Eugen SS Gebirgsjager Division for me, set 1328 WWI Austro-Hungarian Dragoons for Fred, cacti for the Texas Ranger 1166 sets, and set 1256 WWI German General Staff in various stages of painting for me.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 271
This is a new photo from the workshop of eight sets from the pending order which have been completed, but not yet tied in to their boxes. They include five newly commissioned sets of 1912 Balkan War Romanian Infantry for Bob, Brian, Fred, Julian, and me. Their uniforms are the same as worn in World War I. There are also three other sets for me: 1095 WWII German Infantry in greatcoats, 1219 WWII Prinz Eugen Gebirgsjager Mountain Infantry, and 1341 WWII Polish Infantry, 1939. The Poles are a variation at left shoulder arms which I prefer rather than the catalog version at sling arms.

Attachments

• Workshop order #11 painted sets Dec 2015.jpg
    Workshop order #11 painted sets Dec 2015.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 267
Here is the latest workshop photo from the current 2015 Hiriart order with eight painted sets. Front, from left to right: A double set of 1143 Infanterie de Ligne Francaise, 1914, for Fred and three non-catalog sets of XIX Century Turkish Artillery for Brian (2) and me. Rear, from left to right: Two special sets 1261 Indian Mountain Artillery on mules for Damian and me and two special sets of 1365 Balkan War Greek Infantry pack mules for Mike S. and Stavros.

Attachments

• 2015 Order  8 painted sets.jpg
    2015 Order 8 painted sets.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 227
Here is another workshop photo from part two of the 2015 pending order with eight different painted sets prior to being tied into their boxes.

Left, front to rear: One of five special commission 1912 Balkan War Romanian Infantry sets (which I suspect will be added to the catalog, since all the previous Balkan War commissions were) for Bob, Brian, Fred, Julian, and me; a special at the slope version of set 1341 World War II Polish Infantry for me; set 1095 World War II German Infantry in greatcoats for me; and a non-catalog set of the Royal Irish Rifles in greatcoats for me. As sometimes happens, I actually ordered and included a photo of the Irish Rifles in their green greatcoats and not with the gray ones in the photo. I am hoping that they can be repainted, as ordered.

Right, front to rear: Set 1256 World War I German General Staff with Hindenburg and Ludendorff for me, set 1351 Argentine Cazadores de Los Andes for me, an add-on set of 1328 Austro-Hungarian Dragoons, 1914, with a flag for Fred, and a non-catalog set of Ejercito Argentino, 1950, wearing Swiss helmets and greatcoats for me.

Attachments

• 2015 Order 8 Painted Sets Jan 2016 (2).jpg
    2015 Order 8 Painted Sets Jan 2016 (2).jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 202
Thanks for posting these photos. Really enjoy seeing the works in progress.

Here are two recent workshop photos from the Marder III Panzerjager project. The first photo is a sculpt of a crewman. The second photo shows the rough prototype in panzer gray and behind it is an almost ready production version in camouflage paint.

Attachments

• Marder III crewman sculpt.jpg
    Marder III crewman sculpt.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Marder III Project  Jan  2016.jpg
    Marder III Project Jan 2016.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 208
On post number 48 on January 9th, I mentioned that the Royal Irish Rifles non-catalog set had been painted in gray greatcoats rather than in the green greatcoats that I ordered. Well, here they are four days later and they have been repainted, as requested. Also in the photo background are the two sets of 1214 Madras Light Cavalry for Fred (a double set) and me which may be a little washed out looking due to the flash. There are also three figures from set 1185 Regiment Etrangere Cavalerie Francaise Timbalier, 1923 for me behind them.

Attachments

• Workshop 2015 order on Jan 13 2016.jpg
    Workshop 2015 order on Jan 13 2016.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 221
Here are two recent workshop photos from the Marder III Panzerjager project. The first photo is a sculpt of a crewman. The second photo shows the rough prototype in panzer gray and behind it is an almost ready production version in camouflage paint.[/QUOTE]

Hi,
as usual great stuff shown at this thread. Fantastic to see the progress of the Marder III project.
Thank you very much for sharing
Kind Regards
Wolfgang

Here are two recent workshop photos from the Marder III Panzerjager project. The first photo is a sculpt of a crewman. The second photo shows the rough prototype in panzer gray and behind it is an almost ready production version in camouflage paint.

Hi,
as usual great stuff shown at this thread. Fantastic to see the progress of the Marder III project.
Thank you very much for sharing
Kind Regards
Wolfgang[/QUOTE]

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for your kind words regarding this thread. I certainly have a greater appreciation of what goes into making toy soldiers since Guillermo has started sending me these workshop photos. I, too, am closely watching the Marder III project progress. Since the Marder III used the Panzer 38(t) chassis, I am already planning on asking him to make the Panzer 38(t) for me in five versions: German (dunklegrau), Slovak (Czech olive drab, sand & red-brown), Hungarian (dunklegrau), Bulgarian (dunklegelb), and Romanian (olivgrun).

Mike

These are castings of the two non-catalog Deutsches Afrika Korps sets that Tom D. and I have on the pending order. I asked for them with goggles on their khaki helmets, plus khaki pants and light green tunics.

Attachments

• Workshop DAK castings 2015 order Jan 13 2016.jpg
    Workshop DAK castings 2015 order Jan 13 2016.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 203
I just received my first look at the pending order special commission Russian Imperial Guard Dragoon castings. Hiriart is making a 9 figure mounted band with drum horse, a 5 figure band add-on set, a 10 figure double set, and two 5 figure sets with an officer, flag bearer, and 3 men. All of which are presold. Those helmets certainly give them a big "wow" factor for me. I can hardly wait to see how they look once they have been painted.

Attachments

• Russian Dragoon Castings 1-24-16.jpg
    Russian Dragoon Castings 1-24-16.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 193
  • Russian Dragoon Castings.jpg
    Russian Dragoon Castings.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 191
This is a rear view of two sets of 1940 WWII Dutch Infantry which will be part of the last half of the 2016 order for Bob and me. Guillermo got the field gear spot on and the apple green helmets look perfect. I can also see my WWI Austrian Ski troops behind them.

Attachments

• WWII Dutch Infantry 1940.jpg
    WWII Dutch Infantry 1940.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 191
This is the new limber for the WWII German 10.5cm leichte FeldHaubitze 18 artillery gun team.

Attachments

• 10.5cm Limber..jpg
    10.5cm Limber..jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 154
I too like to see the behind the scenes process no matter the maker. Thanks to you Mike and Hiriart for allowing us a glimpse into the process.

Earlier in the thread you mentioned this set #1347 RODEO RANCH COWBOYS. Do you happen to have a photo of it?

I just received my first look at the pending order special commission Russian Imperial Guard Dragoon castings. Hiriart is making a 9 figure mounted band with drum horse, a 5 figure band add-on set, a 10 figure double set, and two 5 figure sets with an officer, flag bearer, and 3 men. All of which are presold. Those helmets certainly give them a big "wow" factor for me. I can hardly wait to see how they look once they have been painted.

Wow Mike - these look stunning - even in their birthday suits!!^&grin

Will they look something like this, when fully "clothed"??

I know that Hiriart don't sell castings - but IF they EVER change their mind - I would be first in line knocking at their door as a Castings customer - and I think a big band and Colour Party of these would be top of my (long) list.

Looking forward to you posting pics of the completed LARGE set. Thanks to all for sharing these pics. jb

I too like to see the behind the scenes process no matter the maker. Thanks to you Mike and Hiriart for allowing us a glimpse into the process.

Earlier in the thread you mentioned this set #1347 RODEO RANCH COWBOYS. Do you happen to have a photo of it?

I also like to see the behind the scenes work-in-progress photos. However, Guillermo often gets so busy that he forgets to take them. Yes I do, here is a stock photo of set 1347 Rodeo Ranch Cowboys.

Attachments

• 1347 Rodeo Ranch.JPG
    1347 Rodeo Ranch.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 167

Users who are viewing this thread

Back