Size Comparison Photos - Various Manufacturers (1 Viewer)

Re: Scale Comparison Photos - Various Manufacturers

It's very tempting to want to discuss the pros and cons of each maker but I think we all agree that we should just use this thread to see the actual differences between figures and not open the Pandora's box of discussing manufacturers' foibles.

The current trend seems to be to reduce figure size to 60mm. The K&C US Tankers and the recent TG Naps are two examples of this trend. The sucess of FL with size compatable figures and vehicles started this trend IMO. Hopefully it will continue and figure size will be standardized so that choosing the best from each manufacturer and combineing them in realistic dioramas will be possible. Whats not to like?

Yes, like a Scale DMZ

I collect most manufacturers Toy Soldier figures and use them where they are size compatable. The larger TCS and K&C 68mm figures work well with 1/25 scale models. The WB & FL figures work well with Figarti & TG Panzers. The Del Prado 70mm Panzerwaffe figures work well with 1/24 VsTank, Gonio and Tasca models. The large TCS US Tanker figures work well with the Franklin Mint 1/24 scale diecast M4A3E8 Sherman.

Mixing and matching figures is a challenge. Julie's fine photo comparisons make the task easier and are an excellent guide to comparative figure size across figure lines and manufacturers. I hope she can keep up the good work and ignore the trolls.

That's why I start to groan whenever devotees of brand-x start criticizing brand-a in this regard. Invariably, the comments are grounded in their brand-preferences, rather than the facts. As near as I can tell, all of these manufacturers play "fast-and-loose" with scale at times. And that FACT is clearly demonstrable in comparing it's different product ranges.

As for weapons, they always seem too thick to me. Of course, they'd be more vulnerable to breakage if they were cast to scale in soft metal. Likewise, the thinner the material, the less surface detail is possible. "The weapons are too fat you say," you say? I love the little guys, warts and all. I guess that's why we call them toy soldiers!

-Moe

Wasn't neglecting this but finally had a chance to get another set done! Zulu Wars and British 24th Foot this time. That hits several Manufacturers and 2 different paint levels for First Legion!

I also took the time this weekend to cut a section of wood to adhere grid paper to. Still utilizing the Ruler on the edge as well. Otherwise each 4x4 square is 1 inch x 1 inch. Also keeping the Ruler in the photo should help with this!
The background messed with my lighting a bit so please do bear with me as I readjust to get that figured out better.

20166-MB069-ZW2006-SFA016B-ZUL004-1.jpg
WB 20166 - FL MB069 - Empire ZW-2006 - TGM SFA016B - FL ZUL004

20166-MB069-ZW2006-SFA016B-ZUL004-2.jpg
WB 20166 - FL MB069 - Empire ZW-2006 - TGM SFA016B - FL ZUL004

ZUL016-20154.jpg
FL ZUL016 - WB 20154

As per usual I have added the individual figures with just the Ruler to each webpages for that item.
Now back to the regular work :salute::

Julie

The grid works well Julie to reference both height and girth. Thanks again for the great work!

Thank you Julie, these photos will be very helpful when comparing relative sizes.

Now I know it has been quite some time since I added anything but a few requests and here we go again!

First Legion and Thomas Gunn Romans up first....

ROM019B-ROM157-ROM002A-ROM173a-1.jpg
ROM019B-TGM -- ROM157 First Legion -- ROM002A-TGM -- ROM173a First Legion

ROM019B-ROM157-ROM002A-ROM173a-2.jpg
ROM019B-TGM -- ROM157 First Legion -- ROM002A-TGM -- ROM173a First Legion

Individual Ruler Images will be uploaded in a bit to the Website!

Julie

And some English Civil War mounted figures!

King & Country and Empire Military Miniatures

CW1454-PnM046-CW1455-PnM055.jpg
CW-1454 - PnM046 - CW-1455 - PnM055

CW1454-PnM046-2.jpg
CW-1454 - PnM046

PnM055-CW1454-1.jpg
PnM055 - CW-1455

And since we have Empire on Sale .....NOW is a great time to pick these up before we sell out!

Julie

Another request!
World War I time - King & Country, John Jenkins and First Legion line-up!

FW224-GW013-GWF-32-FW153.jpg
K&C FW224 - FL GW013 - JJD GWF-32 - K&C FW153

FW224-GWF-32-GW013-FW153.jpg
K&C FW224 - JJD GWF-32 - FL GW013 - K&C FW153

And individual Ruler Images added to each webpage as well!

Julie

And some more additions to the Roman Size Comparisons since King & Country has re-joined in the Ancients Party!

This Toy Soldier Line-Up consists of First Legion, Thomas Gunn as well as new King & Country.

ROM127 - ROM040B - ROM003 - ROM178.jpg
First Legion ROM127 -- Thomas Gunn ROM040B -- King & Country ROM003 -- First Legion ROM178

And the individual Ruler Images are in the individual web pages on our site as well!

Julie

Thanks Julie. Great photos! Very helpful for those of us who like to mix and match.

By request - King & Country Romans (old and new) and Life of Jesus Romans:

K&C Romans.jpg
LoJ033 - ROM003 - RO16-RE - LoJ038 - ROM012

Ruler Images in each Individual page as usual!

Julie

Hi Julie,
Thanks a lot for the time and attention in arranging these comparisons, helps a lot in the decission process of adding new sets and eventually blending different manufacturers in the same diorama...
What I can see, and unfortunately does away with my idea, was to blend French WW1 FLs with French WW1 JJDs and I now see that is not the best option...the FL guys are smaller and slimer in comparison to their contemporary folks coming out from JJD and K&C.....{sm2}{eek3}:wink2:....Will have to workout something else......{sm4}{sm4}:salute::
Cheers
Luiz

Another request!
World War I time - King & Country, John Jenkins and First Legion line-up!

View attachment 202204
K&C FW224 - FL GW013 - JJD GWF-32 - K&C FW153

View attachment 202205
K&C FW224 - JJD GWF-32 - FL GW013 - K&C FW153

And individual Ruler Images added to each webpage as well!

Julie

Thanks Julie for the K&C Roman photos. Excellent work. Combined with your previous Roman comparison photos a complete picture emerges of the range of sizes available; 1/32 to 1/28, something for everyone.

Injecting a bit of fun here! Saw the following image at the Minneapolis Art Institute's Guillermo del Toro Exhibit of Art and Props from Bleak House.

GDT.jpg
Mike Mignola concept art Scale Chart for Hellboy.

:):):):):):):)

Samaell is way out of scale - that won't work with my other Hellboy figures!!! {eek3}:tongue:{sm3}

Oooops, I came to this thread when I saw "size comparison" and ZB LANG in the same tag line.

My mistake....

John from Texas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back